Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » native english speaker?join this discussion

• 玉兰
    玉兰 wrote:
    <p>my nephew was reading the story of wolf and three pigs yesterday.</p> <p>wolf says ,little pig,little pig ,let me in.</p> <p>then the pig says ,no way ,no way,not by the hair on my chin.</p> <p>whats the meaning of "not by the hair on my chin"? is that a stronger "no way",or like swearing an oath?</p>
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's "not by the hair on my chinny chin chin". It's just from the story. I don't think anyone ever actually says it in real life. I just like "no way at all!"

• Simen Wangberg

Nah, it's just a cute way of saying "no". No one actually says that in real life, unless they're talking about the story of the Three Little Pigs.

I actually do huff and puff in real life though.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I was bored, so I googly (or google-ly) translated it, and I think it was supposed to rhyme ...

沃尔夫说,小猪,小猪,让我进去

那么,猪说,没办法,没办法,而不是由我的下巴上的头发

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

U don't need only a native speaker to answer ur question.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Mike: Get back on the electric cigs. Less huffing and puffing next time you lug cymbals around.

• Simen Wangberg

Yeah that thing was a total joke though. I should've picked up a legit one when I was back in the States. Huff, puff, pass.

• Amalie Sæverud

is that possible " the hair on the chin" means beard, and when a man has beard, it often means he is mature and wise than the childhood?

like Chinese saying" 乳臭未干“ (still smell like breast milk) or "嘴上没毛,办事不牢” (you can't trust someone who has no beard on their chin)

I don't know if my understanding is right or not! but it's just a thinking! the little pig said,  look loook, I got hair on my chin! i'm not a little pig anymore, I'm a wise and mature pig!

??.....

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It's like when Thor says "by Odin's beard!" except pigs are cuter.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Jade Law, Norse mythology as told by Marvel Comics, maybe. Dr. Strange would also say "by the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!"

At Hogwarts, they say "by Merlin's beard!"

Beards. They're a pretty big fucking deal. Next time I'm playing 三国无双, I'm going to select Guan Yu and scream "by my beautiful beard!" during the cutscenes.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Intelligent analysis of folk literature? In my WLIB?

• Simen Wangberg

"Intelligent analysis of folk literature? In my WLIB?"

It's more likely than you thought!

Stay tuned for next week's literature thread, in which we will debate the merits and faults of Dr. Seuss's "The Lorax".

• Mia Cong
    Mia Cong wrote:

i'm wondering why im thinking exactly  the same thing like dumb and dummer? *high five sista* lol why navigate a labyrinth of nonsense when it's just a simple nursery rhyme xD 

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

It was simply not a possibility that there was even a hair of chance that he would let the wolf in. So now we shave!

• Patrick Coleman

this is a nursery rhyme, this means that the pig is a male, females dont grow hair on their chin. or armpits or between the legs, remember this is for children only, adults have other storys for pigs. if you want the adult pig version i will tell ya,

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

the story was developed for kids.

the adult version would be more like "what? Are you out of your fucking mind?"

• Petter Meisfjordskar

Literal meaning, it just makes emphasis. That is what in literature we call fugerative language. Any writer can choose to use any type of figurative language so long as it carries the meaning he or she intends.

The adult version would have been, 'fuck off'.

• Father Of Boring

Usually if I translate oaths that use "by" like that, especially ones used for humorous effects, I translate them as "以。。。的名义".  Is that helpful?  看这种童话故事,也可以说看任何不属于数据类的语文,都要保持一个耐荒唐的心里状态。If you don't know how common something is, google it. 

• Saint - Spartacus
    Wolf: "Little pig, little pig, let me in!"
    Pig: "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!"

"The hair of my chin" is the beard, for a long time an important symbol of maleness in Christianity, and still one in (eg.) Islam and Sikhism. The phrase "by my beard" was a mild oath used by Shakespeare among others (cf. The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Act 4, Scene 1), implying that the speaker would rather emasculatehis chin than fail to live up to his promise. Here "hair of my chin" is used because it rhymes with "in", and padded with three extra syllables to make it fit the meter.

The odd part is that pigs do not have much in the way of a beard, but perhaps that only serves to make the rhyme more memorable. Another possibility is that the pig was speaking Japanese, in which case the phrase takes on a rather different meaning...

我承认我手贱,点了不该点的页面

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.