Discussion » Music » First night in BJ, Thursday night shenanigans?

• Samuel
    Samuel wrote:
    <p>I just arrived in BJ and I don't start work until Monday (although house hunting is gonna be a full-time job from the looks of things). If jetlag doesn't consign me to my bed, is there anything decent going down on a Thursday night?</p> <p>Was in the UK for the last 6 months, where nothing happens outside of Friday+Saturday. Shanghai for 18 months before then, where there's always something going on. Is Beijing more like the former or the latter?</p> <p>Recommendations please! Don't wanna get completely trashed (saving that for Friday and INTRO over the weekend), but would like to get a sample of what there is in store for me over the next few years.</p>
  • Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:

tonight there is this Lollipo party in Bar Blu u should check it out, or Lady's Night in Juicy Spot also

• Stian Moe
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

House hunting tip: If you don't take it then and there, it'll be gone by the time you go back.

• Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:

@ Kieran i agree with u hihi

• Simen Wangberg

House hunting tip: if you're in Beijing by now, you are already screwed.

Just kidding. Although the apartment you look at today will disappear by tomorrow afternoon. Real estate agents will screw you under the table unless you bring a Chinese friend, although that probably won't help much either. There will be things in the contract that won't be mentioned or specified until after you sign it. Your security deposit is as good as gone. And don't forget to register at your friendly neighborhood police department.

As for Thursday...who knows. Lollipop party sounds like a herpes-fest. Depends on what demographic you wanna hang with and what kinda vibe you like. 7-11 bar is where it's really at, haven't been there in awhile though.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

you security deposit won't be gone if you are wise enough to bring along a chinese person initially and after.

don't fuck anything up. and find yourself an attorney that way if the fang dong does try something, you can passively threaten him/her with the presence of an attorney.

I dont think all but some landlords are real assholes and yea ive heard stories about them trying to keep deposits but

1. when you move in, take a lot of pictures and videos

2. if you see something broken on the day you agree to move it, document it and notify him/her about it

3. find someone local that you can trust.

4. sometimes you can take the agent out to dinner and make a side deal with him on finder's fee.  they ask for a month but we all know that is stupid. so the last time i got a place i got to make a deal for less than 50% of what he wanted for finder's fee.

don't be intimidated just because youre a visitor to china.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha .. talk to Yoyo ...

• Simen Wangberg

That's some solid advice from Tuco, heed his words.

"I hope I'm not forced to go local and sign anything, I just wanna rent a room with some foreigners :P"

You gotta sign something if you're gonna live here. Foreigners sign leases just like everyone else. Except when they don't, and then they have to try and register with their local police department without the proper paperwork, resulting in them registering in their PREVIOUS neighborhood where they haven't even lived for 6 months...but anyway.

Yeah, even if you're just renting with other foreigners, the lot of you will still have to sign a lease at some point. You can sublease from someone else if you're not staying long, I guess you *might* be able to avoid signing one that way, although most folks I've known who've subleased have done it the legit way and had the subleaser sign their lease in their absence or whathaveyou.

Speaking of which - why are you so opposed to signing a lease? Are you the roommate from hell?

• Simen Wangberg

The police station you go to definitely has something to do with it. The registration debacle that I alluded to before - my local police station has refused to register me unless my name is on my lease (it isn't). However, I went back to the police station in my old neighborhood with no paperwork whatsoever, and they just did the registration right then and there.

Dunno what neighborhood you're planning on living in, but results may vary. My old neighborhood had more foreigners than my new one, so I think the cops there were just like "oh another dumb white guy. better just process his registration so we don't have to deal with any bullshit."

Another tip: although you will almost certainly need a Chinese friend to help you with the rental process, go to the cop shop alone for your actual registration. They might just give you a dumb-white-guy pass if your name isn't actually on the lease, as it is apparently "supposed" to be.

• Simen Wangberg

Addendum: if you're moving into a place without an actual rental agreement or whatever, doing it verbally like you did in Shanghai - find out if your landlord/whoever you're renting from can help you with the registration, cos you'll still need that.

One place I lived in was very similar - rental terms were agreed to via email, no leases were signed, very informal. However, I still had to get registered - my landlord took me to the police station, where she presented the police officer with a bag of fruit. I walked out with my registration a few minutes later. China.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I think I've lost my fancy registration form thing. Either that or it's in my shit drawer.

PRO TIP: Get a photo copy of your landlords ID card when you meet them. Sometimes they forget this is "needed" but if they remember it's hell to get a hold of it later. You're supposed to register within 24 hours too.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.