Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Too hot i need a scooter

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:

I'm looking for a second hand electric scooter to buy, something in the 1000 kuai range in a good condition (battery and the scooter). Can you recommend (or sell) me one?

I guess the best choice is the one everyone in wudaokou use (the one with the big round headlite), but is it good for someone who is 186?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Me and my friend just bought couple of brand new 125cc gas scooters for 2700 pr scooter and 200 for the fake plate (for gas). It's smaller in cc than an R9, but also lighter and smaller in size, which I think is a good thing as the R9 is pretty big and heavy.

The guy offer 1 year warranty where he'll repair things if it breaks and if it breaks down anywhere you just call him and he'll be there shortly.

Send me a private message if you wanna go there for a look or test drive them :-) I can also take some pics of mine tomorrow. The shop is pretty close to susie wongs, west of chaoyang park.

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

I found a great forum post about this on TheBeijinger forum, so I'll repost it here:

A couple of my friends asked my to write a guide for buying Electric Bikes in Beijing. I've copied and pasted my article here because I thought it might be useful to other people.

You can find the original post at http://www.adinobro.com/buying-electronic-bike-beijing.html

So your interested in Buying an electric bike / scooter and while you've seen
    them at the stores the manuals are all in Chinese and you've been around China
    long enough to know that you can't trust a word that the salesman says. Well
    you've come to the right place. I decided I wanted to buy an electric scooter
    after I rented one during our holiday in Yangshuo, so when I came back to
    Beijing I went online to find out what the deal was. Unfortunately most of the
    information I found was really old and out of date. Normally that wouldn't be an
    issue but originally the government was planning on banning electric bikes
    inside the 4th ring road by 2005. That all changed when carbon pollution became
    a hot political issue and now China is actively encouraging electric bikes. Up
    until the beginning of the year there wasn't any information about electric
    scooters because they weren't bikes because they didn't have peddles and they
    weren't motor bikes either. That got cleared up in January when they were
    officially classified as bikes because they have zero emissions.

After talking to a number of people the current situation seems to be that
    electric scooter and electric bikes are treated exactly the same as bikes except
    for the fact that you have to register them. Registration costs about 10 RMB and
    if you buy it from one of the smaller shops they'll even do it for you if you're
    willing to wait or come back the next day. If you want to get the plates
    yourself then you'll need a letter from the store to prove that you bought it as
    well as a residency permit and your passport. Unfortunately most of the bike
    stores don't sell helmets so you'll probably have to go to Decathlon to buy one.
    You'll also want to buy a lock so you can lock your new expensive bike to a pole
    or something.

Now if all of this sounds like a lot of work there are a lot of reasons why
    you might want to buy an electric bike:

1. No more taxi fares.
    2. No more waiting on the sidewalk for a taxi.
    3. No more sitting in peak hour traffic.
    4. It's much more convenient than a car.
    5. You have a lot more freedom to explore.
    6. It's 100% legal unlike a motor bike.
    7. They are really cheap and pay for themselves.

You are interested? Well now comes the hard part. Do you want an electric
    scooter or an electric bike?
    Feature Bike Scooter
    Cost 1,500 to 2,500 (RMB) 2,500 to 4,000 (RMB)
    Battery Weight ~15 kg ~25kg
    Batter Style Easy to Carry Needs a trolley
    Charge time

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

Charge time ~ 6 hours ~ 8 hours
    Range ~30km ~60km
    Backup Power Peddles Pushing the scooter
    Storage Basket/Rear storage Under seat + Rear storage

If you don't know what to get I'd personally recommend getting a high end
    bike rather than a scooter because if you run out of batteries then you don't
    have to walk it home and the batteries are so much eaier to carry up the stairs.
    That being said I ended up buying a scooter because it takes me over an hour to
    get to work every day and the electric bikes just don't have the range.

You can find electric bikes almost anywhere. Most bike stores carry a high
    end model and a low end model and if you can't find a bike store then Carrefour
    and Walmart have them. The electric scooters are still a bit hard to find
    because they've only been available for about six months but I was able to find
    a Xin Ri dealership at this
    location. If you want to find out more about their products use Google Translate or Babel Fish.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll try to add to this post (including more
    pictures), so if you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact
    me.

Source: http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2007/12/19/A-guide-to-buying-Electric-bikes-in-Beijing

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Gaspard: Doubt it, I didnt see any..

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Shit, Ole, where the hell is that shop, I live there but never seen it...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.