Discussion » Beijing Life » Do you like Nanluoguxiang? 南锣鼓巷?

• A.w
    A.w wrote:
    <p><em>"Its a really sad day to see one of the original Nan Luo business pack up and leave today. Saveurs de Coree started up around the same time as Plastered in 2006 and I worked with the boss King Tai on Nan Luo Gu Xiang&rsquo;s first festival in 2007. King Tai gave so much to this great Hu Tong, he was unfortunately the victim of a greedy landlord but the good news is he is settling up only 600 metres away on Xiang Er Hu Tong number 128 just east of Nan Luo Gu xiang and is offering fine Korean grill on top of their usual brilliant Korean food. "</em></p> <p>http://www.plasteredtshirts.com/blog/en/2011/05/16/good-bye-saveurs-de-coree/</p> <p><strong>Anyway, do you like 南锣鼓巷?</strong></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><em><br /></em></p>
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Hmm, what kind of marketing is this?

• Simen Wangberg

Wudaoying is definitely becoming NLGX Mark II, they even have the 2nd branch of that one cafe whose name I cannot immediately recall. Umm.

Xiao Xin's Cafe, that one. Not necessarily a notable venue or anything, but I saw that with a pile of other cafes and shops and I was like hmm...this is starting to look familiar. Haven't been over that way in awhile now though.

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

NLGX is really to crowded, but there are still some awesome places acround in the side streets of NLGX ...

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

sneaking out of the bar and searching into a little chuaner place at midnight in nanluoguxiang is most enjoyable thing for me :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

WuDaoYing Hutong is sooo mainstream now.

All the really hip kids are staying at home and posting on the WLIB forums.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@Ami, you are right, but not in Tun

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Everyone, do your part: When a black Audi creeps up behind you in a hutong, bend over and tie your shoes.

Can we make this a meme?

• 申琪 Annie Shen

一般啊 不过更喜欢对面的书虫

• Simen Wangberg
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Courage Wolf would just beat the shit out of the driver.

Maybe this should be Socially Awkward Penguin?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Socially Awkward Penguin would probably get half way through bending down, look at the driver with an apologetic look and stay frozen like that for a few seconds then run away.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Foul Bachelor Frog doesn't even notice the Audi because he's peeing in the gutter across the street from the public restroom.

Or...

AUDI IN HUTONG / BLAST IT WITH PISS

I'd do this right now, but I can't access foreign sites from the office anymore.

• Simen Wangberg

"...but I can't access foreign sites from the office anymore."

Er wat? Great Firewall of the corner office? I never had any problems, although I could never get Freedur to work over there. Try vtunnel or hidefap?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I got a BQQ memo a few weeks ago saying there was a problem with the telecom lines. Chen says some Chinese sites are affected, too.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

That is the worse excuse ever, but I can see tons of people buying it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. It's a government complex in an old neighborhood. Across the street, there is a tangled mass of what appears to be fiber-optic cables drooping onto street-level.

Just like much of Beijing's pollution is just dust from the Gobi Desert rather than due to industry, much Internet 'censorship' results from natural entropy.

• Simen Wangberg

"Sorry, 4M is not available in your area." - China Unicom sales representative.

I live not far from the center of one of China's largest, most modernized cities. If it isn't available there, then WHERE the fuck is it available?

Kind of bizarre, considering how ubiquitous the Internet is here. Like your farmers in the most remote areas of China can get online through their phones, but I can't manage download speeds faster than 150 kbps. WAT IS THIS.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

My 2M connection can hit 350kbps when I'm doing FTP. That's pretty much the only time though, and that only happens between 2am - 6am, but still. I was pleasantly surprised.

Problems with telecom lines won't somehow magically selectivey stop you accessing certain sites. It'd either be an overall dodgy connection or a totally fine one. 

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

I used to hang out there non-stop back in 2007. I learned a lot of chinese on that street: back then a lot of the bar owners had very bad english yet were mostly the friendly local type so it was easy to have fun and communicate.

I also remember the time I saw my first tour-guide there. Thats when i realized i needed to find another "cool spot". Haven't found it since.

• Ola Sande
    Ola Sande wrote:

cz is near my home...can go there any time by bike...

• Ola Sande
    Ola Sande wrote:

棉花胡同,,,

• Gracie Liu
    Gracie Liu wrote:

yeah esp in summer

• Devil
    Devil wrote:

cool...but so much people here ,,,

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Black Audis are standard issue transport for government officials, for those who don't know.  Hence, the drivers have a habit of acting like even bigger douchebags than the average Chinese driver, if such a thing is possible.  The black Audis get a larger share of anger and vitriol directed at them, because the people inside are more than just garden-variety assholes. 

Of course, there's nothing to stop any regular rich non-government asshole from buying a black Audi.  But when you see one, chances are it's a Communist Party dickbag on the inside.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I also found that off-putting, however I do think Chinese drivers tend to honk more out of courtesy rather than impatience.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.