Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » COPYCAT PROFILES TOPIC

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    <p>So far, High Priest, Moonriver, and I have notably been victims of low-skill identity theft. It's very fucking easy to do. I would demonstrate, but I'm not paid to do this.</p> <p>Allowing users to change their displayed usernames at will, and allowing duplicate usernames was a really stupid fucking decision, Dear Admins, and I'm really surprised that it's only started to be abused recently.</p> <p>There is no hacking involved. There is no security breach. It's just an unnecessary function that needs to be eliminated.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I think the "duplicate usernames“ needs to stay ... because:

1. the "registration" process (as from two years ago when I came here) does not check it in the first place

2. many people do have the same names in real life, especially Chinese names ... or, can randomly chose a "username" which happen to be the same ...

3. the "username" is not used to log in, but the email address, hence it does not need to be unique ...

... but allowing users to change "screen names" at their own wishes, is perhaps not a good idea ... e.g. I once had three "Stephanie" and two "Meng" on my MSN ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"However, I must state that since Dando and DD copied that Japanese Chinese guy's profile"

You mean, there was a Chinese guy who was also pretending to be a Japanese guy. All I did was copy screenshots proving that he was posting under two accounts. Don't say I copied someone's profile. That's what we're complaining about.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Super clever from that guy, using a fake Dando account to get the real Dando kicked out of here!

You're not fooling anyone!

• Micky
    Micky wrote:

The day you begin to insult your self, others will join you

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... GodFather ... we did not really "copy" his profile, it was more like we "showed" screen dumps of his profile, plus his MSN, to prove that the two (or three?) persons are in fact the same person ...

... you must pay more attention to what is happening here ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... till this day, I am the only "me" in Facebook ... but there are quite a few "me" on Kaixin001.com ...

I am not sure how to work around it, but I still believe that "duplicate names" should be allowed ...

• Amalie Sæverud

it would be awesome if someone else would be here to talk some gossip about me in my first person!

to descrip my legendary deed in a totally different way! hmmmm...

it would be interesting!

If anyone would like to copy my profile! please some notes to pay attention to:

1. I must be cool!

2. I must be sluty!

3. A lesbian story would make some interesting compensation to my perfectly straight taste!

4. the story should be in details, I would like to be entertained!

Anyone is intersted?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Once my grandma told me: People throw stones only to a ripe mango trees. So Moonriver and Dando and HP, chill.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DumbAndDumber, You're at least as defamation-proof as I am. It's hard to embarrass someone who doesn't know how to blush.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Dando ... we both know that is not true :)

• ❤Pinkbubble❤

I am also one of victims! ╮(╯▽╰)╭

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DD, Which part?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(contiued)

ans: the "doesn't know how to blush" part ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DD, I'm 1/8th Irish. That's a natural component of my complexion.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... I was not talking about you ... I meant that she blushes too :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Does she? I hadn't noticed. Everyone seems comparatively graceful when I'm around.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

ah,i think you guys just need ignore it @_@

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

Woo, you guys are so famous that someone even bothered to start a copy profie, soon they might start some groups :P gotta get used to it if u are famous :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I believe Dando would go to the party tonight, you can ask him there ... I can write even if my life depends on it, you can have a finger print though ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... while I was minding my own "biz" in my "office" this morning after breakfast, I had this little-less-than brilliant idea in my head ...

The basis (and requirement) is that, WLIB has the first date of registration of everyone, and that this is locked down and cannot be changed, then, copycats cannot pretend to be someone else ...

More later :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

Again, I will stress that not allowing duplicate names is not a good idea ... it does not even sound humane, and reason number four is that it would be a total madness for the admins to "correct" this ... 

Further to what I had said earlier this morning ...

I am assuming here that the exact day (or even time) when a particular member account was created, was actually logged in the system somewhere ...

Then, to start with, considering all the features of this site already, it should not be much pain to add a line in the profile to display this information ...

Then, when we place our mouse on top any user, as show below, instead of just showing the name as it is now, it could perhaps add a new line below the name, and display the date of registration, or a simple mathematical calculation of how long ago since he/she has been a member, or how many days ...

e.g.

Dando
    Member since 20xx/xx/xx

or

Dando
    Member for XXXX days

... and as most copycats are usually created within the last few days, at most months ... and most definitely, AFTER the original person ... then we can identify that much more easily ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.