Discussion » Employment Opportunities » translater and proofreader

• Jackie
    Jackie wrote:
    <p>here we are a tranlation company, mainly doing script tranlation from chinese into english, we urgently need more and more native english speaker to help us to do.</p> <p>both pat time and full time are ok.</p> <p>well-paid.</p> <p>jackie:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="mailto:beijingemperor@yahoo.cn">beijingemperor@yahoo.cn</a></p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahaha ... I dont seem to quality ...

• Dea Johanne Hovet

on line

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Lee, You must be fucking kidding. If the shit you write here is any clue, I'd say you couldn't edit your way out of a wet paper bag with the sharp end of the pen.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think you mean "malicious."

I rest my case.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... Lee ... Dando had met me in person before, he knows how crappy is our standard ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I "taught" English for three years before I started editing, for far more money than I make now, so I've made plenty of money by feigning competence and jumping through hoops. Why would I be mad?

That your English is shittier than some of my former students is a perfectly honest and objective observation. Deal with it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"it will effect said persons income level..."

You mean affect. Fucking pathetic.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

What irritates me is that you can't admit that you're utterly incompetent at what you do and you only make money at it because of the gentle bigotry of low expectations. I've done the same thing as a teacher, but I at least showed some respect to people more competent than me, instead of dismissing them as jealous.

You mean "blatantly". And you only think it's untimely because I am pointing this out at an inconvenient moment. I'd say I'm right on time. There's a spellchecker embedded in the text entry box. An intelligent person would use it, particularly in a thread where he's trying to find employment as a proofreader.

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

actually i think the truth of the matter is he doesn't like you very much. unfortunately spell checker can't help with that

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I don't mind Lee. Sometimes he's funny. But I remember that the first time he showed his face here, all I could think was "Goddammit I hope this guy is working in IT or something and isn't teaching English."

And then, there's this thread. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight knowing that him's fixing there Englishes.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It sounds like they are looking for a proofreader more than a translator though, since they only mention wanting native english speakers and nothing about wanting people who speak Chinese. Actually, they said they've already done the translation and that they only need proofreading. An immaculate command of the written form of the English language is kind of the most essential thing for that.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... that's all for Round One ... and for intermission, let's see who, among us, claimed to have perfect English ...

... and whoever wins this "argument" might not be the person that Jackie picked for this job (or jobs) anyway ...

... now, on with Round Two ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I admit a significant bias towards the notion that a proofreading position ought to require an essential command of English. I also admit a certain degree of antipathy toward you; you are human, after all. But I'm far from the only person in the know who happens to think your English is uglier than a prolapsed rectum.

And how I wish spelling errors were your only mistakes, but they just happen to be the easiest to pick out in a forum. You also seem to misunderstand that malice is a noun and malicious is an adjective. Moreover, you often spell words correctly but in an incorrect context. Sorry, but that isn't the sort of shit that MS Word is gonna fix for you, buddy.

Proofreading requires nitpicking. That's in the job descrip, broseph. Now go wrap your lips around the tailpipe of a 面包车 before you offend mine delicate eyes with another line of your terrible prose. You're a disgrace. If anyone should be mad, it ought to be many of the foreign-educated Chinese people on this website who would serve as better cultural intermediaries than you for half the wage and none of the arrogant sense of entitlement.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

God complex my pimply white ass. I'm just another foreign imperialist dog who happens into jobs by being in the right place at the right time, too. I've got no illusions that I'm where I'm at because of any innate quality. You're just assuming that I've got a 'tude because of how endearingly awesome I am, which isn't true because my most endearing trait is that I don't know how awesome I am. It's an oriental mystery.

But at least I'm not here being all 菊花残 about getting my English chops busted in the one thread where it's most utterly relevant. U MAD?

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

just to change the topic, and get it back to translation. i once watched an Indian movie with insanely funny subtitles. this couple were on a train heading to some place or another, and they were apparently deep in love, but having their first argument since their all singing wedding. after the woman had screamed at the man for sometime, he quickly yelled back, with the subtitles 'even my beard is angry'

now that's translation !!!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

That's fucking elegant.

• Dea Johanne Hovet

just email me i fyou can

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

hahahahaha...hilarious

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

How did I miss this thread!? 

And how I wish spelling errors were your only mistakes, but they just happen to be the easiest to pick out in a forum. 

I actually thought basic arithmetic was the easiest: 

Many things are lost in translation, underlying meanings in intention of speech just to name 2...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I tried, but I dont have enough time to do the translation test :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm just a liberal arts guy, @Daniel. Numbers are for the Asian accountants and engineers.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.