Discussion » Beijing Life » Regular Police Inspection

• 阿姆
    阿姆 wrote:

I get this regular checks by Xidan cops (5 times in 8 month) like: my whereabouts, how is my work in Beijing, what is my religion (before the 十一 holiday) and once my roommate got a call when I was away.

Now last week I got another call asking me "where are you and we just would like to make a friendly visit to your apartment, just to see if everything is ok".

I dunno if its just a new regulation in Beijing for laowai, or is it because of the location I live.But it really starts to feel a bit akward,when I lived in Wudaokou or Zhongguancun 4 years ago this shit didn't happen at all.

And I don't remember getting into fights or getting drunk and peeing in Tiananmen to get such a royal treatment. But seriously this shit is not cool, do you get the same highclass care from your local PD?

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

never heard of  it in my entire time here. and that is a very long time

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... maybe you should move?

When they called you, was it on the cell or home phone? Maybe just a bad case of mistaken identity?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Assume the position

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

Watch out the cctv  installed in ur bedroom...lol...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... have you been a good little boy, and register, then re-register whenever you move? My best guess is still a mistaken identity ... maybe some girl you dated got jealous of you seeing someone else, and played a joke on you? Re-cap, think, then go get her some flowers or something ...

• №❶ Passioη

When you're suspected to be a spy, when you happen to have mingled with someone closely watched by the cn govt, when you happen to live where someone else who was watched lives; That's when shit happens...

I had this experience shortly after I dated one of the famous chinese singers here in Beijing... Although my own experiences was not so intensive, She also had no idea that was happening.  However, I moved into a place beyond the jurisdiction of the Chinese law enforcements then they got me off their watch list. 

My Advice? be careful!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... further to what Lee said ...

If you do suspect that you are mingling or associated with "someone of interest", you should perhaps identify whom that might be ... anyone new in the past year? even if it might be the most innocent encounter ...

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

this is definitely a strange thing on ur case,i don't think this happens to any foreigner i know,as fas as i remember,my friends got stopped on the streets once by the policemen and asked to show the passports,but that was just regular check they do to foreigners they see 

try to think about the possible reasons john and no panssion gave,your work?your personal activities? anything disturbing the society? ha

and i will give a bold guess, ur phone is probably being monitored..

and if none of the assumptions exist,just ask them straight next time WHY

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

change your phone number and address.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

It could be one of your neighbours keeps phoning the police. I've heard of that happening several times.

If you want Chinese police to actually show up somewhere just say "Hey, there's a laowai here. He looks like he doesn't have a visa!"

Boom. They'll be there in like 2 minutes.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... 阿姆雷特 ... be careful, FU is either gay and is stalking you, or he is actually talking dog of the drug squad and is after you ...

• Simen Wangberg

Keep the change, ya filthy animal. Well that's pretty weird man, I've never known any other foreigners to get checked up on so frequently. Good luck with that. I actually wouldn't be shocked if it was cos they thought you were 新疆人 or something, as sad as that is.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... did you at one stage ...

1. grow a beard and wear a head band?

2. or shaved your head and wore a monk's outfit at a party?

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

maybe one of the female police officer has a crush on you ;-) But seriusly, i am pretty sure you have a wired neigbour who is calling the police here and then ...

• Simen Wangberg

I think the guys at my local cop shop back in Yonghegong just liked to call me up to chat.

"You need to re-register. Can you come down this week?"

"I'm busy. I'll come next week."

This went on for months. God bless them though, they never gave me any shit about it. They were actually incredibly polite every time I had to go down there.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.