Discussion » Nonsense » China unblocking facebook?

• SereneT
    SereneT wrote:

My chinese friends said they saw it on the news that china is unblocking facebook soon. Anyone heard of it yet? 

• №❶ Passioη

It's a part of facebook's marketing strategy to tap into China's large internet market this year. I mean, the largest social network in the world which on its own carries about 10% of the world's population would not ignore a country with more than 450 million internet users (that's more than the population of US and UK combined). So of course talks are on-going on how to compromise with China's demands to let facebook in...

BTW - Suprisingly, Youtube actually opened this morning without VPN... it stopped working again at exactly 8:36am .... those dudes up there are testing something for sure

• №❶ Passioη

Like google went though - Compromising with the cn government usually means bureaucracy at its finest (Can be very complicated and no one knows how long). but what I know is facebook is trying to achieve this through an intended local partner (sina), and "compromise" may mean excluding some of facebook's features like "groups" and "online payments for ads and stuff" - they may rather need to do transactions through a local bank recommended by the cn govt. Something like that

Meanwhile, you can use a VPN like everyone else.. by doing so it feels like you're accessing facebook from Mark Zuckerberg's house (no restrictions)

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

No matter What China GV trying to do .but they canot prevent the freedom of communication,this is the trend of future

It must happen,just time.

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

hihi yes about salt event i am really shame to talk about it ,,,i feel really so stupid ,i thought China's education much better than before ,but finally...really shy to mention it , same like the first day when the CCTV news talk about that might the spinach will pollute by nucleus ,,only few hours ,,spinach market destroy totally. at night news , they CCTV issue a new information that spinach is only a example ,,and after 3 times washing will be ok

But until now spinach's market still weak, hiih GV one samll test ,but destroy one market hihi ,,, spinach farmers...futile effort  for all year...really so pity to hear that

You know something they contral is good ,but most of them should let market to decide.

other thing like rich people trade flat in China . now the new issue push lots of rich people invest oversea market... how come... this is done by their hands

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

i dont care what they do. I hardly use that site unless I wanna contact my friends in the USA. at that point I use a vpn. so if it is unblocked, cool, but I don't care either way.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

SOON? Like how soon? I don't think so.

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

hehe they have to done some deals under table

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Facebook seems to already be deleting any information that Chinese people might not like.

For instance, a video showing what happens in the Chinese fur trade was recently deleted. Admittedly, the video was worse than a horror movie. If you think it's bad that Chinese people steal pet dogs to sell to dog-meat restaurants well, this video was worse.

Also, Facebook recently deleted the account of a Chinese man who wanted to talk about the idea that at some point in the future there might be some kind of political change in China. Of course, this kind of information needs to be deleted immediately for public health.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.