Discussion » Film & TV » Catfish, thought provoking movie about sns..

• CR
    CR wrote:
    <p>Have you seen a movie called Catfish (2010)? This is one of the most creepest movies I've seen. Might or might not be true, but this movie tells how unreal and unreliable social networking is. People you meet on a social network could be deeply troubled in real life...</p> <p>so I want to ask you guys, how do you distinguish fakes and perverts online? To what extent do you allow yourself to get invovled with the people you interact online?And once you meet them in real life and realize that you've been cheated, what is your solution? Do you get angry and confrontational, or do you quietly plan your exit strategy , or do you play along and see what they are up to?&nbsp;</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Feminine intuition. I haven't been duped yet.

• Simen Wangberg

"And once you meet them in real life and realize that you've been cheated, what is your solution?"

By "cheated", do you mean "woke up in a bathtub of ice with an organ missing"?

In any case, I have yet to be punk'd via meeting people online. Maybe I've just been lucky. Had some bad dates, sure, but I wouldn't say I've ever been "cheated".

• CR
    CR wrote:

阿姆雷特, Wasting time online chatting and emailing doesn't guarantee anything..in fact, meeting in real life sooner is better because then you won't waste any more time assessing if they're meetable or not. 

• CR
    CR wrote:

Personally i believe dating people online is lame and risky, because those scam artists always have a way to make you feel comfortable and safe. I'm just using the movie as an example to understand a few things. In the movie after the main character found out the woman he has been chatting with for 7 months is actually a fake,  he was very very calm and played along as if nothing is unusual....I just don't understand why he didn't freak out. 

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I heard Catfish is really great. Really want to see it.

Also, I lold at "Catfish was that the movie with Zack Braff?"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Anna, doesn't your link just go to show that people have more to fear from people they've become acquainted with in real life? Over 70% of rape victims know their attackers prior to the rape.

There are indeed sociopaths out there and they are by definition very good at portraying themselves as trustworthy, but one has a better chance of being struck by lightning today than of meeting a sociopath.

I use social networking to meet people because I'm a weird geek. If I were a girl, I'd probably be a little apprehensive, but there are guidelines that women can follow to protect themselves. Always schedule your first meeting in a public place and don't become intimate with someone unless you've met some of their friends/family/co-workers. That's just good dating sense, anyway. If a guy doesn't introduce you to his friends, then either he doesn't have any (a warning sign), or you're not his real girlfriend (someone else probably is).

• CR
    CR wrote:

that story is a very good example while online dating is so risky... 

My friend's co-worker, a white guy, also got into trouble by pretending to be a black guy dating japanese girls online and takes pleasure in meeting the girl in real life and freaking her out by saying ' see, I'm that huge black guy you thought you are meeting, how do you like that?''... until one day, he was wanted by policemen, his profile was on local tv and newspaper..and that was the last time he was ever been heard of. 

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:

Dando: she met her bf online, on some social network

阿姆雷特: sorry:) 

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:

She wrote a book about it, which became last months bestseller

• CR
    CR wrote:

Kieran, Zack Braff has nothing to do with that movie... but the main character does look a lot like Zack Braff...Great documentary, everyone who is obssessed with social networking should see it.. 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Anna, I know, but the violence happened after they'd already become acquainted in real life. At that point, I don't think the circumstances of where they met would really matter.

Would it be any less tragic or shocking had they met in a bar?

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:

No not really actually, anyone can end up a creeper. Couple of weeks ago I was approached in a bar by a guy saying that if I won't go out with him (from the bar to the street) I was going to die. I was like "ok.....time to go"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

So basically you've got four go-to places to meet new people.

Internet

Bar

Dreams

Any others?

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:

networking events by FC, Am Cham etc

• Anna Rudashko
    Anna Rudashko wrote:

alright children, I'm out, have a good weekend!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Afroman, Ew. Thanks. I'll stick with the Internet.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You mean infamous.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.