Discussion » Current Events » So which country do you think is the most producti

• Dara
    Dara wrote:

I always thought China is the most productive country , but like other people said, they don't really care about the quality of the products. And some of my french friends said France is more productive for their efficiency, the work for the least hours and guarantee the quality.  some people hold other ideas. So hope this thread is not too stupid, but i really need some A: s.

• Simon Frederic

Vietnam and India since you can start working when you are 8 in a nike shoe factory

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

China is still pretty poor. Not as poor as India or Vietnam but I think it's ranks somewhere around 90 in terms of GDP per capita, which is a much better measure of a nations wealth than just raw GDP.

Anyway, China probably is the most productive country in terms of the actual physical amount of stuff they create, then again they do have a workforce of over 1 billion so it'd be really suprising if they weren't the ones who made the most stuff.

Germany will be the most actually poductive country though, in economic terms though. It's population is a fraction of China's and yet China only overtook it last year as the top exporter by value. That's an incredible output per capita. It doesn't matter that China is number one, the fact that Germany is a close number to with only 82m people (that's 16% of China's population) shows that they are something like 6 times as productive as China.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Industrial total output: China

Service output: the US

Efficiency: maybe Japan

Quality: Germany? Japan? not so sure

More things I want to put here are:

1) low efficiency of Chinese workers is a kind of "intentional". the most important thing for China is to keep millions of unskilled farmer workers have jobs, so that they can buy their living, but not try best to improve efficiency like put more capital and less labor into the output equation. I believe that China can makes at least the same level of total output while leave tens of millions workers jobless, but, you know, how about these workers?

2) quality of Chinese product: actually China can produce almost everything you can imagine, but people just used to focus on craps you get from Dollar Tree or Walmart, while ignoring tags behind your iPad2 or other stuffs. As I said before, China needs to produce low quality craps to keep tens of millions of workers employed, and it sells those crap successfully: people have choices to buy products with better quality but more expensive, but many just don't want to do so. Demand is always the main driver, not the supply.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Lizzie ... just because you a fan of the Italian soccer team ...

No one mentioned Japan?

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Chinese effeciency is extremly low. For example take a train from Beijing to Baotou or any other places where they dont have D-Trains. Most likely you will go to a ticket vendor where 4 people sit in a shop while only one works. Later you have to show the ticket, then you have to go through a useless security check in which another 5 to 8 people are involved (but since the people behind the screen dont really watch the bags, it does not increase the security at all) then you have to show the ticket later again to 5 other people who also check the tickets: 2. when you enter the plattform 3. when you enter the chariot 4. inside the car, 5. when you exit the rainway station. At the same time you pass along 100 security people and 20 policemen.  Not sure how many people are involved who you dont see. But it takes around 300 people to make it possible that i ride from Beijing to Baotou. If I travel from Bern to Zurich in Switzerland I buy the ticket online or from a vending machine. No ticket controll, no security nonsense, only one or two ticket checker inside the train for the whole train and not 4 per car. So basicly for this train ride it maybe takes 20 people. I think this shows very well the differences in efficiency.

Another example is the companies i worked in Switzerland and in China. The chinese employee produced in one week less than i produced before in switzerland in one day. No joke! A friend who ran a restaurant said the same: when he had a restaurant in germany he needed one fuwuyuan for 100 table. In China he needs at least five.

I could continue the exaples. I think the efficiency is generally reflected in GPD. The reason is simple: If you only need five people to produce a product of 100 dollar you can pay them each a ten times higher salary than for the 50 people who produce another product of 100 dollar.

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Americans are the most efficient. 

Chinese can be either very efficient or insufferably inefficient.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Saw a study recently that was saying this was France. Numbers used to define efficiency were GDP, number of active people contributing to the GDP (jobs) and number of hours worked per week.

So France is supposed to produce more GDP per person while working less than others.

I'll try to see if I can find the article again.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Agreed that GDP is only one way to measure it, whether it's a good one or not, whether other things should be taken into account or not can clearly be debated.

In my opinion China is far from being productive. Lots of people employed to create an output that in some other places can be created by half of the staff.

My friend recently opened a restaurant. He's got like 5 waiters in there and they're not able to deal with the clients. In the US or Europe, 2 waiters for such a place would be clearly enough. His waiters are always sitting outside on a break chatting together, saying there's too much work to be done while he's the one taking care of the customers. I've also noticed with colleagues in China that they can stay insane hours at their office just to show a good face because the boss is still working, but all they do during that time is internet and msn because they don't actually have anything to do.

When traveling to New Zealand, the people here have a philosophy that I clearly prefer: I work my ass off for a few hours a day, don't stay late unless there really is a need for it, but then I want to get out of work and enjoy my private life with my friends / family.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.