Discussion » Nonsense » karma, Fate or destiny?

• Lao Lee
    Lao Lee wrote:
    <p>Karma: the force produced by a person's actions in one of their lives which influences what happens to them in their future life.</p> <p>Fate: <span>a power that some people believe causes and controls all events, so that you cannot change or control the way things will happen.</span></p> <p><span>Destiny: <span>the force that some people think controls what happens in the future, and which cannot be influenced by people.</span></span></p> <p><span><span>None of the above.</span></span></p>
  • Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

I don't see any difference between fate and destiny...

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

I guess fate is kinda negative word, destiny is somehow positive?...hehe...

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

fate~!

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

"    Two different  directions  have  been  taken  to
            answer  the  question  of how the  original  act and
            subsequent  environmental  effects are related.  The
            commonly held view takes the relation to be natural;
            less frequent is the appeal to the supernatural.  If
            they are related naturally, then either (1) there is
            a causal chain (either direct or mediated  through a
            pool of karmic residues) outside  of the agent, from
            the environmental  effects immediately brought about
            by  the  original  act  to  the  environment   which
            produces his future painful or pleasant experiences,
            or  else  (2) the  connection  is made  through  the
            effects  made  on the agent  himself, which  in turn
            produce  relevant  changes  in  the  environment  in
            subsequent lives.  To put it another way, understood
            naturalistically, there  is a causal  chain  between
            the  karmic   acts  and  the  things  which  produce
            pleasure  and pain which either (1) lies outside the
            individual   person,  in  the 

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

above quote is  from"Karma, causation, and divine intervention"

as for the "forgot brush teeth" guy I think the causation might fit him more instead of Karma,what do u say,Lee?

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

the relation of cause and effects is the way that we think the world, nobody can turn off that fact, and nobody can imagine something without a cause. The differences are how you represent the principle of sufficient reason:
    when the causes that rule the world are by a intelligence (god, spirits, ...) then destiny
    when the causes that rule the world are by a blind force (natural laws, moiras, collisions of atoms.....)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Karma. I don't care for the supernatural aspects of Buddhist phenomenology, but one needn't believe in reincarnation to accept this as a fundamental truth of our social reality.

When a bitch calls a promiscuous woman a slut or a whore, her conviction dooms herself to a life of sub-optimal dickings, or her hypocrisy dooms her to a prison of her own guilt.

It's really too bad that Buddhism in the East and West has drifted toward shallow dogmatism and superstition of a religion, while the very rational and even protoscientific aspects are merely subjects of mere academic curiosity. It's not so different from Western religions in its deviations from its rational origins.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

TO make it simple, I do somehow believe in Karma. What we sow is what we reap more often. If you sow peanuts, you're not gonna harvest bananas. You sow the wind, you reap storm.Our actions brings effects. You get fucked too much, you get pregnanted. You fuck too many people from Wlib, you get screwed, and you become nymphomaniac till you pass your prime time...

Destiny is in everyone's hands, you can change it, you just need the willingness, if u like.

High Priest

• Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:

@Lao Lee,

I wish life is as predictable as your example.
    For me It's about choices. Either way you have to live on with the consequences.
    And choice-making involves complicated mind activities and not to mention the doings it might lead to. All above for me are not foreseen, it's like a dynamic chain that I can never see a start point or an end.
    So in the hypothetical story you were giving that morning you didn't brush your teeth can't be a beginning, on the contrary it might be a result of many previous things. 报应,缘分,命运,These three words are just so determined ..and fatalist ...I don't think there exsists a magic word for our ongoing life. Though I hope that's a good thing..:)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Sorry. That was rude. You guys dropped my name and I didn't even answer your question 'cuz I went off on a tangential rant. My bad.

What Lee was talking about is indeed called the butterfly effect or chaos theory. SereneT is also correct, though. In Buddhist phenomenalist philosophy, karma is just causality. It's silly ethnocentric Westerners who interpret Buddhism through a Christian lens who have turned it into something synonymous with divine retribution.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

When a bitch calls a promiscuous woman a slut or a whore, her conviction dooms her to a life of sub-optimal dickings, or her hypocrisy dooms her to a prison of guilt.

-this is Karma?

Or the wishful thinking of a do-gooder that the do-badders will get their just deserts in the end, or, in other words...divine retribution? It seems not only silly ethnocentric Westerners look through the Christian lens...unless...wait, where u from?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You do realize that the ethnocentric Westerners I was talking about were the hippies you malign so much, right? They're are largely responsible for taking a somewhat rational philosophy and turning it into an alternative religion, although the Pure Land stuff that's popular in China has its fair share of dogma and superstition.

Preachy people get reputations for being uptight and therefore miss out on a lot of fun, or they do one thing and say another, but that duplicity carries with it a mess of complications that are in no way supernatural. Individual and collective actions have consequences. Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

Hippies? So? Malign them one day, defend them the next. No foolish consistency here.

Preachy people? You can say 'dicking' and 'whore' and still be a quaker, bro.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

No doubt. Nixon was a Quaker, and he had quite the pottymouth.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

Ah! Now you're talking about a PRESIDENT!

Hear him at his best!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/specials/watergate/kleindienst1.htm

Hopefully the audio will work for those interested. If not maybe someone can explain how to post an mp3 file from my hard drive onto the forum.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Karma excist. Destiny, hmmm, not really

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Hoot, what we sow is what we reap. U fuck too much, you get prostat, too much mushrooms, cancer and trauma, u help today, tomorrow u get helped. U kill, and u shall be killed...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Who are so smart ones? I guess they are those who are more careful with what they are doing

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Well, Scot, sometime we get confused, we see evil people living till old ages. Gadhafi can tell us more, Mobutu, one of the evil dictators in the world, Napoleon. Let us not just look at those big names, but in our daily lives, we can see that our actions can yield outcomes. It's not like an absolute thing though

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You're talking about cartoon karma where it's synonymous with divine retribution.

Karma IS WHY there is so much injustice in the world.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.