Discussion » Nonsense » Wise Women-The Importance of Financial Independenc

• Shu Qi
    Shu Qi wrote:
    <p>A woman who has some financial independence is free to state her mind, disagree, ask for what she wants, and a woman who doesn't is not. Your take?</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"A woman who has some financial independence is free"

I stopped reading here. What are you doing on Friday night?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

But seriously. A few individuals' financial independence cannot erase thousands of years of historical prejudice and marginalization on the basis of gender.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

they are positively correlated. that's all I can say

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I think, to a certain degree, it depends on understanding and communication ... and the "family" structure ...

Some (totally) dependent women, could as well be the "master" (or "mistress", to be more PC) of the house, and can still state her mind, disagree and also ask for what she wants ... unless, I have mistaken the meaning of the question here ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

@Ami: personally, totally agree. However, you know, it's an ideal -- the society values house wife role much much less than it values social/financial contribution

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Shu Qi ... dont you suppose that's too general a question to ask? Which specific country or culture (or city) were you referring to, perhaps?

Some men in China (and other cultures such as India perhaps), I believe, still hold, to a certain extent, the opinion that husbands should provide everything of the households, and women should not work (or at least should not need to), otherwise, this will put a shame to the men's names ... this is especially so for people who has power and wealth ... so, as much as I can never prove you wrong, I am not sure if you can prove me wrong either ...

Or quoting from an old Hong Kong commercial ... 世事无绝对,只有真情趣 ... nothing is absolute ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.