Discussion » Music » What music is BJ lacking?

• Josh Neal
    Josh Neal wrote:
    <p>I'm gonna start a band as soon as I have shed the rust of not playing for a year. I play all kinds of music and any band I play in won't be stuck in any one style.&nbsp;</p> <p>So I ask: What is the band that Beijing desperately needs?</p>
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Soukous, rumba and tshinkimbwa

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

hope you don't mind unusually bad organizational skills and horrible equipment and dragging your stuff around to places that won't pay you anything.

let alone someone may just rip off your production.

what China needs is maturity in western music ethics and business.

not to mention that production levels are pretty horrendous. Unless you plan to spend 1,000 to 2,000 rmb an hour for a top of the line production studio. you wont find many studios here have the money for making a really good cd.

for show:

organizers will be a nightmare for you.  with clubs having virtually no dressing rooms and stage equipment that would fare better at a garage sale, you are going to see a nice underbelly of the music scene.

dont even think about getting a manager. you are better off doing it yourself.

but shows can be fun. places to play:

yu gong yi shan

13 club

midi fest

Modern Sky

798, used to have a big show every year.

good luck with that.

• Simen Wangberg

"Sounds like the same old dirty industry that I'm used to then..

As far as recording goes I think I will take care of that side myself.. It's not that hard to turn out a decent recording if you have the space to do it.."

This and this. None of the venues/equipment I've seen over here are any worse than what I dealt with back in the States. We played some real shitholes back in the day. But isn't that part of the charm of it? We called it good if we got enough money to cover gas and drinks.

And yeah, you drop a few coins on some decent recording equipment, find a good place to do it...good to go.

As far as what band(s) BJ "needs" - I don't know, the Beijing bands actually cover a pretty wide spectrum. Some better than others. I would kill to see a decent alt-country band here though, probably not going to see any local boys or girls doing that.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I only recently got into alt country, you're going to have to drop me some reccomendations!

Beijing isn't "lacking" really. It's just not got the same kind of music culture we're used to from home.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

don't misinterpret what i complained about. sure beijing has tons of music. easy to find and enjoy.

but if you wanna make gas and drink money, i hope you will be playing music that will attract a good size crowd.

its not easy to make money playing music in china. dont give up your day job.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... for some reason, I kept reading "what muscle is BJ lacking", and I keep thinking words like "dick" ... heehee ... dont mind me, carry on please ...

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

The only real thing that Beijing's live music scene is lacking are original but good music! Especially on the mainstream part of what ever is not pop, e.g. good old hard rock, funk/soul/ska, fushion etc. Beijing has a great variety to offer on the style scale of live bands, but music and performance quality is really not that easy to get.

Tuco is right to some points but basically forget about live music if you want to earn some money as band. If you consider it as an hobby, you will have some fun. As for venues, you could try 2 Kolegas, Jiang Hu Bar, Hot Cat Club for the start. But it depends which style you are doing. Equipment-wise MAO and 13 Club are the best choices if you aim for heavier sounds like Metal/Industrial/Hard Core etc. If you do indie/alternative/classic rock, Yugong Yishan might be the best choice (their sound lacks a bit of subs, but is a very nice venue).

Recording your own release can be tricky but if you do a lot home work, you dont necessarily have to pay too much money. Most productions are digital these days anyway. You just need to know what kind of recording equipments and environment/setups you need for your purpose.

The biz side of live music still has to learn a lot and find an healty developable structure/pattern. There are a lot so called "... Productions" who organizes gigs. You can also go talk to the venue ppl directly to have them recommand some ppl for your band. But dont worry about all that. All youhave to do is to get started and try to keep your band line up stable at least for 2 years in order to keep playing and gain a name as a band.

if you want to earn some money, make sure all your band members are white foreigners and can play all kind of regular known music (Jazz/Pop/Covers/Blues etc.). There are often jobs/needs for these bands where you can make a few thousand kuai for a gig or two. But these jobs are pretty stupid if you are really into the music and not lacking on the financial side.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

there are two sorts of bands:

a) job bands, doing cover songs according to the need of the venue (pop, jazz, what ever)

b) original bands but it depends on how many visitors you can drag into the venue because of your attractiveness.

normally, shows are done by an organizer who isnt the owner of the club/venue, he will have a door income share with the venue, mostly 20-40 % of the cut goes for the venue. Some venues, like Starlive (now Tango 3rd Floor) will require you not to make the ticket too cheap (= 80 RMB or higher). Others are more relaxed.

Just do the math, if an organzer has 3 or 4 bands come to play, lets say there will be 100 ppl paying tickets, you can imagine how he will think about give each band what money. For young start-outs, if they can get some taxi money they can count themselves lucky. So, it wont be much. But gigs are always a good way to get started.

you could go to Hot Cat Club or V.A. Bar to start on their "Open Mic" evenings during the week. If they see you are good, they might have you perform their on Weekends. If you can gain a certain size of fan base, you might start talking to the venues or gig organizers to play for a performance fee.

for more info about venues, promoters and other bands, you can go to rockinchina.com

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

Jianghu Bar, Jiangjinjiu Bar, Tiny Salt are all neat small scale live clubs where you can start playing.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

you can also get on the subway and do free promotions :P

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Beijing needs more industrial/noise/experimental shit to complement the dystopian sprawl and to give the local girls reason to goth it up in the scene. Think about the potential here. They're already black-haired and skinny.

• Simen Wangberg

"Beijing needs more industrial/noise/experimental shit to complement the dystopian sprawl and to give the local girls reason to goth it up in the scene. Think about the potential here. They're already black-haired and skinny."

Oh god oh god oh god YES. Why this didn't dawn on me earlier, I don't know. Maybe this is what I should be doing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.