Discussion » Dating & Romance » How did people meet each other before the world go

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

An interesting article on the favourite topic of this forum

Are we addicted to love?

How did people meet each other before the world got online? A survey by the dating service Parship.co.uk at the beginning of this year claimed that two-thirds of the single people using a dating service in 2005 turned to the internet. According to the Times (London), that's 3.6million Brits, making use of more than 100 independent online dating agencies chasing a market that is valued at about £12million and expected to rise to £47million by 2008 ...

http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/0000000CAFF0.htm

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

[...] Of course, there are many areas of life in which the internet seems to be taking over from classified ads and 'real world' agencies - selling cars, finding houses, planning holidays. But the boom in online dating is not simply a more efficient and flexible way of doing things that we would otherwise have done. It reflects a fundamental shift in how people are encouraged to think about their personal relationships and organise their personal lives, with intimacy acted out in public and subject to the contractual norms one might associate with buying a car, a house, a holiday.

The fashion for finding 'love online' represents a redefinition of what we mean by 'love'. No longer is love a spontaneous emotion, a transcendent state of being, a necessary evil on the path to self-fulfilment. Rather, it is recast as a therapeutic virtue - something to be planned and managed in the way one might plan and manage one's career, in the awareness that it might not last forever and moving on is no bad thing.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

[...] On the one hand the need of relationship because I must have some support, I can't be alone, I have to safeguard myself, I need a lifejacket in this turbulent sea. On the other hand, the fear that once I get it, that I am finished. My freedom is over and I won't be able to properly react to the new opportunities, new chances, and so on

[...] In this sense, pursuing love becomes less about passionate abandon than the more cautious, calculated strategy of managing what's known as a 'healthy' relationship, in which neither party has to give too much of themselves away. An emotional attachment is sought, but carefully controlled.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.