Discussion » Beijing Life » Save Hutongs in Beijing or not? How much longe

• A.w
    A.w wrote:
    <p>It's something that we have to do! Save Hutongs in Beijing!&nbsp; No matter they are 四合院 or 大杂院.&nbsp; The hutongs are more than simply housing; they are actually a way of life!!&nbsp; The hutongs are meaningful!&nbsp; Beijing city will lose their charm when all hutongs are gone.&nbsp;</p> <p>I personally really don't like New Qian Men.&nbsp; It's so ugly and meaningless!</p> <p>How much longer will Hutongs survive?&nbsp;I don't know....</p> <p>Those videos are great! Of course, as usual, Vimeo and Youtube are blocked... Well, sorry everyone.. Find a way to watch them.</p> <p>A Disappearing World</p> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/19122141">http://vimeo.com/19122141</a></p> <p><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OlDVDRqo7c4" frameborder="0" width="425" height="350"></iframe></p> <p><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LJS4-uLGo68" frameborder="0" width="425" height="350"></iframe></p> <p><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nfg-JVCexnw" frameborder="0" width="425" height="350"></iframe></p>
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

youtube embedded content has been on and off blocked and unblocked lately

• Simen Wangberg

I've never spent any real quality time in a hutong home, but from what I've heard, they are cramped, noisy, and generally uncomfortable.

I'm pretty sure the only people who have any genuine interest in "saving" the hutongs are foreign hipsters who like to ride their fixed-gears through the alleys, before returning to their (air-conditioned) homes. And you, Ami. Hehe.

I'm sure there are some folks that are into the historical preservation side of it, but if they can hook up the people living there with newer, better low-income housing, then that'd be the best thing they could do for those folks.

But uh, whatever. "Save the hutongs", dudes. Huh

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

If there are no hutongs, then where will the rent be low enough for the hip boutiques?

• Simen Wangberg

Yeah, obviously you have a pretty strong attachment to them, that's understandable. I just thought it was funny when a lot of foreigners started talking about it like they were really concerned about it, when they don't even know what it's like to actually live there, and so forth.

I haven't been to those hutongs before, but maybe I'll check em out now that it's warm outside again. w0000t

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I lived in a hutong and it sucked. I couldn't sleep from all the stray cats in heat mewling on the rooftops.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Hutongs are nice, even the creepy hutong near the enter of the underground city XD

But hutongs are located in good places in Beijing to build new buildings
    the bussiness of construction is very profit, and the most of these sharks are not from beijing, they only care about the money and plunder this city....
    I think in the future only will survive the touristic hutongs, the other they will let die or buy for an astronomic amount of money

if the citizens from beijing could vote about this or decide.... this would have other end

• Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

Sunkissed tanning studio is located in a hutong, very cozy...i hate CBD and Guo mao area, there are no lifes..

i really enjoy sitting outside of my studio, and enjoy nature sun as well as talking with neibours...this is my life...

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Save the dugongs!

Nah knock 'em all down. Give people proper homes to live in.

Mind you, I have actually ridden a fixed-gear bike down a hutong and went on to write an article about how great it was for China Daily! I'm going to hell...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm thinking about moving back to the shanzhai siheyuan I lived in last year. But I'm a foreigner and I don't speak Chinese, so I miss out on the lifestyle component.

I just like cheap dirty digs.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

as modernization rolls in continuously, we will see fewer of these around. Progress demands sacrifice.

I too, do not wish to see Beijing lose its old school housing and its way of life.

Just like everything else that stands in the way of progress, aka making profits,

these places will be removed eventually and Beijing will lose all its old glory which includes hutongs.

10 years ago the hutong systems were still in good standing. but that went by the wayside with all of this FDI. Money talks.

If you wanna save a hutong. i suggest you buy one and live there.

Dando had a cool pad and i think its nice to stay in for awhile but i find that they lack some basic needs.

If the hutongs are gone, Beijing will lose out on some of its old school feeling.

Save Shichahai!!

where else can those 3 wheeled bikers go and find work bringing laowai around for 100 rmb for a shit ride.

I am one for non-deveopment.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... it's a matter of town planning and long-term view ...

Over the weekend, I was staying in the Sha Mian area in Guang Zhou, a "small" island of European buildings, and a lot of (local) people went there to take photos, including wedding dress photos, taobao sellers, students and models (including a few part-time foreigner models who did not know the model walk, heehee) ... the whole "island" is considered heritage and are reasonably maintained to keep the "aged" look but good structure ...I will have some photos up a bit later ...

I am fairly sure that if the government wants to save the hutongs in Beijing, they could, but they would rather sacrifice them to develop (most of) BJ into a modern international city ... and then, they would discover that, without the heritage and history (other than FC and the Great Wall), the city is a city of "dead" cement ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

a cement laden, cesspool filled with raging hormones and fashion freaks.

yea, sounds a lot like china to me

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

greed is for amatuers.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

I can understand your feelings and I would prefer not to see any cultural, historical places removed.

Death of a culture.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued Tuco) ... only give rise to a new one ... but to sacrifice hundreds or maybe thousand of years, it's really sad ...

• Simen Wangberg

I guess it would be nice if Beijing retained some vestiges of its old self, all the old culture and whatnot, but like...it's an international city. That's just what it is. It's the New York, Paris or London of China. Those places have held on to a bit of their old selves, but they're largely full of people and buildings.

And they will continue to attract more people and more buildings, as long as they continue to offer more and better jobs and better living conditions. People complain about the quality of the apartments here (I know I do - often), but if any of us were living in a smaller city or village, maybe we'd see it differently.

I guess that this point I'm just playing devil's advocate - and trust me, I hate greedy real estate developers and all their associates just as much as anyone else. But...can't stop "progress", suckas. And honestly, to expect a small alley in the middle of a giant international city to remain in its original state is almost sort of naive, I think. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but...yeah.

And really, I think we should all just be glad that they didn't go ahead with that "Beijing Time Cultural City" that they were planning for the Gulou area. That sounded like it would've been stooooopid.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.