Discussion » Current Events » SEE HOW JAPANESE REACTED AFTER THE TSUNAMI DISASTE

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:
    <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>1. THE CALM</strong></span></div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>2. THE DIGNITY</strong></span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>3. THE ABILITY</strong></span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn&rsquo;t fall.</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>4. THE GRACE</strong></span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>5. THE ORDER</strong></span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;"><strong>6. THE SACRIFICE</strong></span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></div> </div> <div> <div><span style="font-size&
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:
    7. THE TENDERNESS
    Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
    The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
    They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE
    When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly!
    Let us also learn from calamities in our life to be a cause for respect and a lesson to bring out our human values!!

(This is due to the national spirit that instructs that the individual is nothing more than a social potential. And NO individual is superior to the society) Loyalty to the nation, not to the individual and not to any individual.

Amen!

High Priest
  • Rebecca Arnesen

Why use this to bash china, it's simply japan as compared with the rest. Perhaps nowhere else could there have been the reaction the priest has highlighted here. Sweden maybe?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... 阿姆雷特 ... there is much more to it than just "schooling" ... many highly educated people could also be as uncivilized ...

• Rebecca Arnesen

I'm not sure what country you're from, but in the uk there would be several things from this list that would have to be omitted.

Sure we'd queue for stuff, but we'd be ranting as we did it.

Panic buying and hoarding - absolutely.

The media would go apeshit, and i couldn't attest to looting, though i wouldn't be suprised.

There's certainly a minority who would use this kind of situation as an excuse for a bit of anarchy.

Bascially this list is a big-up to Japan is all. I've never been there by the way.

• Rebecca Arnesen

haha, yeah i lived in the "dirty saaf" for a while myself. night buses were always a joyful experience...

I'd recommend The Spirit Level, the book is basically a series of graphs explaining how clear the link is between the income equality of a society and the amount of fucked up selfish shit people do to each other in said society. Japan has the most equal income distribution in the world...  

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I just read that from a piece released in early April on China MSN, that Japan is rebuilding and recovering, slowly, but surely ... so why cant China be more like them?

The news reported that this was completed within one week ... simple, but effective ... so why cant China be more like them?

http://msn.huanqiu.com/travel/picture/2011-04/1605918.html

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Uncle DD, I guess China will be, if it keeps the same pace for many years like Japan, even more. China isn't doing bad, it takes time, and CHina is emerging.

Japan has brought too much to the to the modernization and development, they are too efficient and productive. In Business we can see more theories currently originating from Japan..in construction no one can deny their know-how.

So they can do better coz they've got a good economy.

There was an article I read, some economists were arguing on an idea that that tsunami is a good thing for the economy...It brings Biz.

I guess too in a way that in devastation, there can be opportunity

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I was simply comparing the China recovery since May 2008, and the Japan recovery in he last two months ... where has all the donation gone by the way? I heard China Red Cross spent some of it for expensive dinners?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

:) But I guess the NGOs contributions were not that much to rebuild the place...so it could be used for some fancy dinners while designing new building:)

But I guess Mr Hu gave too much for rebuilding, I saw a documentary last night, everything is done there.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I normally preface any criticism of China with an analogous criticism of the United States. The massive fuck-up that was the response to Hurricane Katrina speaks for itself.

On the other hand, I think some aspects of the Chinese gubbermint's response to Wenchuan are pathetic attempts at national publicity. Sure, everything looks fantastic in photos. Everyone is very thankful for government assistance. Partnerships between quake-struck counties and provinces have led to wonderful expressions of goodwill.

Taking a bunch of peasant farmers and switching their mode of subsistence from agriculture to tourism is NOT a good long-term plan.

In my home state, tourism replaced automobile manufacturing. Michigan looks pretty from the outside, but rots from within. Imbalanced service economies are neither just nor stable.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... that's what I meant ... the news looks good ... but?

High Priest ... I would bet that you had visited the children of God over there ... so how about showing us how beautiful it is over there, NOW ... please?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Uncle DD, there's gonna be a movie of my visit there, it's gonna be shown on the vesper program. Pleas come by to see the amazing grace.

U know our church address, see you

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... as we serve different bosses, I am not too familiar with your side of the doctrine ... is "thou shalt not lie" one of the Ten Commandments?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Which version are u using DD?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha .... not sure ... I just googled it ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

DD< please get a Holy book:)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... if I touch it, I might get burnt ... this is as close as I will get :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Beijing and Sichuan aren't neighbors. I guess everything is totally copacetic then, eh?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Dando, spare me the pain of scrolling up ... who said they are?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

:::)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DD, The "no lying" rule is specifically phrased as, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

China is very big.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... yes, it is, and now I am totally lost :)

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

DD, how are u lost?:)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... dont worry, I am not going to your church ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

ha ha, that's interesing, but don't miss going to Bar Blue

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... you are going to preach over there now too?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

ha ha ha, preaching can be done everywhere, but I not in bar blue:) in Chaoyang park would be ok:)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.