Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » ZZ:Why Chinese Is So Damn Hard?

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    <div> <div id="shareBody"> <p>看完这个,突然对类似莫明,阿惠同学这样的中文很好的外国人充满了敬意</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Why Chinese Is So Damn Hard?</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><span>The first question any thoughtful person might ask when reading the title of this essay is, "Hard for whom?" A reasonable question. After all, Chinese people seem to learn it just fine. When little Chinese kids go through the "terrible twos", it's Chinese they use to drive their parents crazy, and in a few years the same kids are actually using those impossibly complicated Chinese characters to scribble love notes and shopping lists. So what do I mean by "hard"? Since I know at the outset that the whole tone of this document is going to involve a lot of whining and complaining, I may as well come right out and say exactly what I mean. I mean hard for me, a native English speaker trying to learn Chinese as an adult, going through the whole process with the textbooks, the tapes, the conversation partners, etc., the whole torturous rigmarole. I mean hard for me -- and, of course, for the many other Westerners who have spent years of their lives bashing their heads against the Great Wall of Chinese.<br /><br />为什么中文这么TM难?<br />作者:David Moser<br /><br />看到这篇文章的标题,任何有头脑的人第一个问题都会是&ldquo;难,是对谁而言?&rdquo;问的有理。说到底,中国人看起来学的还挺顺当的。当中国小孩儿经历那&ldquo;狗都嫌的两岁&rdquo;时,他们用的是中文来把父母们逼疯。几年之后,同样这些孩子就已经在用复杂得不可思议的汉字来歪歪斜斜地写情书和购物清单了。所以我说的&ldquo;难&rdquo;到底是什么意思?既然我早就知道本文的语调将充满牢骚和抱怨,那我最好还是说清楚自己到底是什么意思。我的意思是,对我来说很难,一个以英语为母语,试图学习中文的成年人。他会经历教科书、磁带、语伴等等这一整套折磨人的繁琐过程。我的&ldquo;难&rdquo;是说的对我自己,呃&mdash;&mdash;当然还对很多其他西方人,那些花费了经年累月,在中文的长城上撞到头大的人们(译者:原文&ldquo;Chinese&rdquo;同时表示&ldquo;中文&rdquo;和&ldquo;中国的&rdquo;)。<br /><br />If this were as far as I went, my statement would be a pretty empty one. Of course Chinese is hard for me. After all, any foreign language is hard for a non-native, right? Well, sort of. Not all foreign languages are equally difficult for any learner. It depends on which language you're coming from. A French person can usually learn Italian faster than an American, and an average American could probably master German a lot faster than an average Japanese, and so on. So part of what I'm contending is that Chinese is hard compared to ... well, compared to almost any other language you might care to tackle. What I mean is that Chinese is not only hard for us (English speakers), but it's also hard in absolute terms. Which means that Chinese is also hard for them, for Chinese people. <br />如果我要说的只有这些,那这些话相当空洞。中文对我来说当然难喽。毕竟,任何外语对非母语人士都很难,对不对?这个嘛,差不多是这样。不过不是所有的外语对任何学生的难度都是一样的。它取决于你自己的母语。一个法国人学意大利语往往比美国人快,而一个普通美国人掌握德语则多半比一个普通日本人快得多,如此而已。所以我所谈论的部分观点是指中文很难,相对于&hellip;&hellip;反正相对于你有可能想学的几乎其他任何语言。我的意思是中文不但对我们(英语人士)来说难,它在绝对意义上也是难的。这意味着对于中国人来说,中文也很难。 <br /><br />If you don't believe this, just ask a Chinese person. Most Chinese people will cheerfully acknowledge that their language is hard, maybe the hardest on earth. (Many are even proud of this, in the same way some Ne
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

原文太长,给个链接好了:http://www.pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

纯美国人,中文真的很好,好到不多见。

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

学什么?英语么?这么一说,中国人要是学不好英语(起码读书没问题),真就不应该了(前提是你确实需要学英语)

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

我觉得C和C++也都挺好玩儿的,起码应该比外国人学中文好玩儿,哈哈

• Sylvia Zhang
    Sylvia Zhang wrote:

长征漫漫 呵呵 小伙子急不得

貌似对日本人和高丽人来说 中文还算好

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

对于天朝人来说,日文也还好。日文我倒是打算好好学的学,为将来去岛国骗东洋花姑娘做准备:D

• Sakura
    Sakura wrote:

要想学的会,就跟师傅睡。

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Sakura...没正经!(ad: 常年开通一对一免费中文培训班,要求学员性别女,欢迎来扰)

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

here is a link with Chinese translation, FYI

http://www.douban.com/note/141533117/

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

恋物癖???

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

ahh, got u. yeah, it's the correct translation. And I feel like the translation in the link I gave you is very precise

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

誰說我是純美國的呢?我這個人是英美的,再說是俄裔英美的。我看完作文,認為作者忘了提英語人士學中文最大的困難:我們懶。我這個中文水平確實見不到特別多,但是我也沒有怎麼好好學習。我也比不上阿惠同學,Lee Ford 這類的……我離Jarg遠得很。開始讀文章,我以為翻譯也是作者的,就特別佩服。其實我才他可能有能力翻譯。

話說回來,我們英語人士不愛吃苦好好學習。不過,你們中國同胞能學到這個程度很令人佩服。

我誠心崇拜發明搜狗輸入法的那個天使。沒有ta我就算文盲。

"Here's a secret that sinologists won't tell you: A passage in classical Chinese can be understood only if you already know what the passage says in the first place. This is because classical Chinese really consists of several centuries of esoteric anecdotes and in-jokes written in a kind of terse, miserly code for dissemination among a small, elite group of intellectually-inbred bookworms who already knew the whole literature backwards and forwards, anyway."Hehehe... absofuckinlutely!

• 滴/Amber
    滴/Amber wrote:

我这么懒的人生在中国实在是太幸运了

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

我也猜作者可能有能力翻译,但这个文章显然不是作者翻译的,显然是中国人翻译的。就连大山也翻译不成这个样子。当然,这已经和语言翻译是否“正确”无关了,这已经是第一语言和第二语言本质不同,以及语言文化小元素灵活应用范畴的事情的

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

他一星期前的这个回帖,看上去感觉中文水平有所下降啊…可能是回国后有些生疏的原因吧~

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ami,謝謝!我一看你誇我我就很高興。

大凡,哎,那就不高興了。

Constantine, 這裡的基本上都會一些日語。我敢賭大家都同意,學日文比學中文容易得多。你沒讀過文章吧?比中文還難的就是天文。 ;-)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.