Discussion » Technology » free-download anti-virus software 360 has "bac

• Amanda Wei
    Amanda Wei wrote:
    <p>For protecting my baby pc "better" i got two&nbsp;anti-virus softwares for it. Rising and 360. Yesterday i suddenly got a waring msg from Rising that 360 is a trap, it has some kind of virus and break lots of legal softwares by some a virus called "backdoor"( 后门).&nbsp;</p> <p>i deleted 360 immediately &nbsp;( cuz i'v been trusted Rising long time.) BUT !! after that i found out my Rising dosent work anymore!! The thing is, i bought Rising awhile but didnt charge it since i got free 360 which everyone said ( at that time) it is good and free forever. so was using 360 to check and clean my pc recently, didnt use Rising at all. I was thinking maybe i need to pay Rising again to get it work but i saw on their website that their software r all free to download and use too!!! i downloaded but still dosent work!!!</p> <p>did my pc got damage by 360???? or i'm tricked by Rising???? what i should do now????is "the news" real???&nbsp;</p> <p>if it is real, then suggest people to delete 360( if u r using it) and protect ur pc and urself from these virus......</p> <p>if not, plz tell me whats wrong with my pc or Rising, and what i need to do ???</p> <p>Thanks~~~</p> <p>The waring:&nbsp;<a href="http://www.rising.com.cn/2010/360/">http://www.rising.com.cn/2010/360/</a></p>
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

I recommend Avast Antivirus.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Avast or AVG are also free, and not potentially infected with government spy drones reading your email

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... based on my perhaps rather out-dated experience, I dont like to use anti-virus and I avoid them at all cost, because they tend to drag down the performance of the computer, which is already very slow because of this web site  ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

”my computer is too slow because of all te viruses on it. I don't want to slow it down even more by installing anti-virus software"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@DingDang, you don't need to keep your antivirus program running in the system tray if you don't want to; it's possible to install it and only run periodic tests. But like Minger said, if you're having performance problems it probably has more to do with all the hidden malware that's undoubtedly installed itself without your knowledge or consent.

A full backup and a reinstallation of Windows would probably have your PC running twice as fast, and it'll stay that way if you install some decent security software on it. Back when I was using XP, I used AVG Free and Spybot S&D, although now I presume AVG features most of the functions of Spybot. I've never noticed security software hogging my system resources.

I'm sure I'm asking to get flogged by saying this, but I think Chinese software sucks dirty donkey dicks. I'm not saying that Chinese software developers are incompetent. Rather, they're too clever. There are very rational reasons to make malicious software packages that show advertisements, hijack system resouces, or provide security backdoors to allow government spying. Those reasons come in many different colors and sizes, but they all have the Chairman's face on them.

If Chinese IT workers had more job security and confidence in their pensions, they would probably produce more clean, simple, free open-source software tools to make their jobs easier rather than strictly producing software for mercenary profit and making everyone's computing experience a little shittier.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... like I had said ... perhaps out-dated ... and that, was a long long time ago ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

If you want, I could help you through the process of backing up your data, formatting the hard drive, reinstalling Windows, and installing some decent security software. I owe you a solid anyway. It might just take a while since I'm unfamiliar with Win7.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... I am due to upgrade to Win7, will do it over May holiday ... we can talk then ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

That seems wise. I'm not an expert, and it'd be a shame for you to be without a means of corresponding with work due to my incessant fixation with tinkering.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

AVG Free doesn't get rid of a lot of the Chinese viruses. That's why I switched to Avast. I agree with Dando about shitty Chinese software. I guess since we don't pay for software in China, everyone has to make their money by forcing ads, malware, and spyware onto our computers. Did anyone else install TOM skype, complete with its government spyware and unblockable ads?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... sadly, me ... has anyone got the REAL Skype download?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ... and then this site wont work anymore ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

alex said:

"though free meals are always welcome, you should be aware of that nothing comes free."

Unless you're talking about computer software, which we were. Almost every computer on the planet incorporates some programming code that was not paid for, especially when you include cellular phones, servers, routers, and other devices that are not traditionally referred to as computers, yet nonetheless are. Modern computing is built on free and open-source standards.

While it may intuitively or theoretically seem that it is less secure since anyone can look at the kernel (core operating system code) and find security holes to exploit, in practice it is indeed more secure because the open-source community responds to security issues much faster than, say, Microsoft, which keeps their operating kernel in a dark room in a bunker miles beneath Redmond, Washington. Microsoft takes a much longer time to release service packs than most of the communities supporting Linux distros.

Me too, Tri-life. I'm running Fedora 14 on a Thinkpad tablet, but I still haven't got the right wacom drivers to use the touchscreen. I'm wondering if I'd have an easier time of it if I went back to Ubuntu kindergarten.

@DingDang, Mozilla Firefox renders HTML the same way on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines. The problem is that Microsoft Silverlight is not fully supported on Linux, so we can't use the new chat feature. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

DD, I haven't figured out how to download real skype in China. Even the installer is one of those online ones that will require you to have a non-blocked connection to the U.S site. International skype sebsite it blocked in China if you input the URL directly. If you try to get to it any other way, it will just forward you to TOM skype.

I originally installed TOM because real skype was blocked (well, mostly blocked, like gmail lately). I'm happy to bundle up the actual program files and send them to you, but I doubt that will work.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm using non-TOM Skype without any problems.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... how does this business work anyway? I mean, when I tried google "skype", it only led me to TOM ... Minger, what's the actual download site?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Typing in skype.com will get you redirected to skype.tom.com

I think you need to get the .exe file from another source (sorry, I can't offer much advice besides use a proxy or a VPN). Minger's correct that the Skype protocol itself isn't blocked--just like Gmail still works with POP/SMTP--it's just that downloading the non-harmonious client is a little more difficult.

The reason I've got the Real Deal is that I downloaded it through a Linux package manager. I didn't have to go to the Skype website.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

here's the page link that should queue the download. http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/5-1/downloading/

I think you'll find it's either blocked or redirects.

Here's the actual download link that was queued from that page for me. I think you'll find it doesn't work.

If I send you the file that it downloads, you'll find that that file can't connect to the skype server to download the installer files.

The protocol wasn't exactly blocked, but I had a lot of trouble and interference with it back when I tried, despite having a high speed connection on which everything else worked. I presume the powers that be were running some sort of interception since they couldn't directly listen in on the real version the way they can with TOM.

• Joakim Lund Rangel

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.