Discussion » Travel » Seeing China

• Tuco
    Tuco wrote:
    <p>Where have you traveled to in China, when were you there, what outstanding qualities could you note.</p> <p>Beijing is not true China.</p>
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

having traveled to almost all provinces (and equivalence) of China, it confirms my opinion that any statements like "China is this, China is that", "Chinese is this, Chinese is that" are stupid - it is not a single country! ("you know I'm not the most politically correct person"..)

Umm, China may be the best place for sociology study

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Sure, I told him so, xixi

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

or at least a way to bounce around, with portable "work" and enjoy fringe benefits .

;)

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Da Fan, someone I know once said "China is not a country, it's an empire". I think that's pretty accurate. 

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I have been to the real China.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

ok. such as where?

I've been too: Dalian, Lv Shun, Shenyang, Changchun, Ji Lin Shi, Tianjin, Shijiazhuan, Handan, baoding, Jinan, Qingdao, Yantai, Wei Hai, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Kunming, Dali, Li jiang, and shangri la.

For cities I like Dalian, Qingdao and Kunming. Why just because of the environment.  These places were only visited. So, i did not get to soak up its unique culture

for example: Beijing is nothing more than a fashion show with large hormones.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

shanghai, beijing, chongqing, tianjin

guangxi:

beihai, nanning, weizhou, guigang

guangdong:

guangzhou, shenzhen, dongguan, panyu, jiangmen, zhongshan, shantou shaoguan, foshan

fujian:

fuzhou, xiamen, quanzhou

zhejiang:

hangzhou, ningbo, quzhou, wenzhou, jinhua, jiaxing, xitang, linhai

jiangsu:

suzhou, xuzhou, wuxi, changzhou, changshu

shandong:

qingdao, jinan, zibo

hebei:

baoding, tangshan, 

liaoning:

dalian, shenyang

jilin:

siping, yanji, hunchun

heilongjiang:

harbin

inner mongolia:

hohhot

gansu:

lanzhou

sichuan:

chengdu

yunnan:

kunming

hunan:

shaoshan, changsha

jiangxi:

nanchang, gao'an, jingdezhen

anhui:

wuhu, hefei

henan:

zhengzhou

shanxi:

datong

shaanxi:

xi'an, xianyang

hubei:

wuhan

and there are a few others i'm forgetting.. this was all in the span of 6 years so i can't really remember all the places..

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

thanks. Which of these places do you think is the cleanest?

• Rebecca Arnesen

i love reading lists

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

xiamen and qingdao definitely stick out in my mind as being the cleanest.. everything else is pretty similar..

jingdezhen is famous for ceramics so the light fixtures, etc in the streets are interesting to look at

hohhot and lanzhou are closer to desert so it's a bit dusty and yellow around there

xitang is a beautiful "canal" town, sort of like a venice of china.. ancient towns with old buildings and narrow walkways

can't really say much else stands out from the rest of the 3rd tier cities apart from food!

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

and jarg, nobody asked you to read.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

Kunming is the first city I will go see and check out. also chengdu and hangzhou areo n the list.

thanks

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

Kunming for sure. my fave cities in China are Xiamen, Kunming and Qingdao. 

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

also added to the list is Hainan

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Hainan is nothing! For the same price you can also get to Thailand or malaysia and see what beaches can look like. Hainan is just for people who never left china.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that reminds me ... traveling to Perth from Sydney, is often as expensive as, if not more than, visiting SE Asia ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.