Discussion » Technology » gmail

• Tuco
    Tuco wrote:
    <p>Can't use gtalk and having hella time loading just email.</p> <p>seems to be happening everywhere. what issues do you have and have you found a solution besides VPN?</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>someone told me to try igoogle.</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Gmail access is hit-or-miss for me but I can usually get it going after a refresh, and Gtalk is working just fine as long as I use my Pidgin client; the connection gets interrupted if I rely on the web app.

It seems more like the type of content filtering used on Wikipedia than the "connection reset" blocks on Facebook and YouTube.

I heard Witopia isn't working like it used to. Is it just the PPTP service that's having problems? Or is the SSL version of Witopia's service also being interrupted? My Witopia subscription ran out just before I went on vacation and I'm considering changing services.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I dont remember last time I logged onto gMal, but I used its SMTP and POP with Outlook at home, and that had worked fine ...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

1- make gmail a pain to use

2- wait for usage to drop

3- lock the service out of the country like facebook & co without too much backlash

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_accuses_china_of_interfering_with_gmail_ser.php

• Joakim Berg Solum

4- ????

5- Profit! 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ah how I've missed Jon...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

we know why its not working. not googles fault.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I think it's actually encrypted traffic their messing with. I find that absolutely every site I used that has 128-bit encryption is almost just as unreliable as gmail, but 256-bit encrypted sites seem to be fine.

Seriously, internet banking is absolute torture for me now.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

、、、

Hahahahaha ... Kieran ... which bank? local or foreign?

• Joakim Berg Solum

Google spokesperson claims: "Relating to Google there is no issue on our side. We have checked extensively. This is a government blockage carefully designed to look like the problem is with Gmail."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21175 

Crafty... 

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Same here been having problems for almost a week.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

DD, it's a foreign bank

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Kieran ... my guess is, that's not an Australian bank? I have not had much issue with Commonwealth Bank and Westpac, both Oz banks ... and the Oz AMEX web site runs fine too ....

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Dando; I recently received an email from the service I use (ExpressVPN) saying that China has upped it's net-security and have blocked a number of VPN servers, so they've had to establish new ones to serve their customers in China. I imagine other VPN providers have had similar problems. 

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Private vpn all the way. I own a slice of a server in Luxembourg.

Also: DD, it's a UK bank. 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Daniel,

I know that much, but what I'm wondering is if someone can confirm whether the premium services are affected. A number of western news outlets have confirmed that PPTP and L2TP are being blocked, but I remember a claim by Witopia that at least one of their encryption methods is yet unaffected (I can't access their site at the moment so I'm not sure if it's SSL or SSH or alphabet soup).

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

What does open vpn use? That's what I'm using. It can time out while trying to connect but I have no issues with it once it has connected. It only takes 3 tries max to get it to.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I thought OpenVPN was just the client program or user interface that most VPN services use.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's not a client, it's something that's run server side. It's actually an absolute nightmare to find a client. With windows you usually have to connect with PuTTy (or whatever the unix command line emulator that you use to communicate with servers is called). When I installed it into linux it gets recognised as a whole seperate protocol by network manager. If I'm setting up a vpn on the client side I can pick from PPTP and Open VPN (Haven't installed any others). I've never set up any other vpns so I can't compare. I just know you ahve to have a big fancy key file that has a gigantic string of letterts and numbers

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Open VPN is a VPN client software and a VPN server software. But it isn't your vpn service provider (that's the guy who installed and runs the OpenVPN server for you). The fact that your connection does not succeed at first attempt is probably your service provider's fault.

PPTP (that's a VPN protocol) is usually blocked by ISPs and carriers in China from my experience.

L2TP/IPSEC (that's another and more secure VPN protocol, actually I think L2TP is more like a protocol family and IPSEC one of the implementations) works fine, still from my experience.

OpenVPN works over SSL which is very unlikely to be blocked ever. Well unlesss everyone is suddenly fine with sharing their online banking passwords...

And for Dando SSH = Secure Shell = a way to access a Unix command line on a remote server, again, over SSL!

Seriously I don't see how any one could get confused, seems pretty damn simple to me hahaha!

• Simen Wangberg

I wish I knew anything about what you guys are talking about. Ummm, Freedur is still working. But I can't use it at work and that is SO stupid, you guys. :-/

Although they did send out a mass email a couple months ago saying they had to reconfigure their magic fairy dust or whatever cos their service wasn't working in "certain countries".

Wonder which ones...yeah. I haven't noticed any problems with it during or since then though.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Saibo.

I'm running Fedora and the OpenVPN client is integrated with network manager. I just need a service provider. Any suggestions?

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Saibo you are a genius!  Ok it sucks that g-mail is not working great lately.  I wish something could be done about those nerdy prudes running the gov.  It sure would be nice to have a resonable chance at clear communication across international borders.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I can confirm what DD said about Gmail working just fine when you use Outlook (or in my case Evolution) rather than visiting the website. It's actually the encrypted traffic that the gubbermint has the hardest time interfering with because they can't distinguish between a data packet going to a harmonious site and a counterrevolutionary site.

@Kodi, Saibo, Now that I think of it, I haven't seen you guys on here in a while. How's shit?

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

@ Dando .......Oh damn I have been in Hawaii and im still here until mid May.  I have not had time for WLIB, but i guess since im going back to BJ i should ease back into the community.  Everything is fine and dandy on this end.  I hope all is well with you guys also.  Thanks for asking.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Far out. I just got back from a 5 week visit to Michigan, but no one noticed I was gone.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Cool, well now I know that I should have paid for a server that's not on the other side of the world! Ha! It wasn't actually a vpn till I set up open vpn on it by myself. That was a painful two days.

This messing with encrypted traffic stuff is high level wankery though. It's really pissing me off. WLIB is the only non-encrypted site I regualry use, and so it's the only one that's anything close to reliable.

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

@Dando, been under mountains of work, been on top of New Zealand mountains, now in Bangalore under mountains of work, but considering the net speed when I need to connect to my company's servers in China from here, it gave me a bit more time to wander around here. Seems not much has changed. There's even a thread about one night stands that just opened! Wait is it 2009 already?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.