Discussion » Nonsense » Do You Feel The Shocking Culture Shock?

• A.w
    A.w wrote:

Culture shock doesn't only refer to complains.  It could be some small, different things that you never experience...

Do you feel culture shock when you move or travel to a new place?

Me first:

Living in Bay area, CA. It' very hard to feel culture shock.  For example, you will see Spotted on Stockton St, SF Chinatown: old lady w shopping bags containing≈36 1lb. cartons table salt.... haha....

Culture shock:

1,Popcorn.  Popcorn that is sold in movie theater is always salty.  You can add butter.. It could be tasty, but I want to my sweet sweet popcorn.

2. Tap Water.  It's a good thing that you can drink tap water everywhere.

3. Chasing Squirrel.  Friends still like to make fun about me.  If you see a girl who looks super happy, and taking a lot of picture of squirrels.  They must be Chinese or Japanese...  well.. It' hard to see wild animal in Beijing.

Chasing squirrel is better than chasing pigeon....

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Savory popcorn is part of a Hollywood conspiracy to make movie theatergoers thirsty so they purchase more overpriced soda from concession stands.

Still. I love me some hot butter and garlic salt.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

but think about it,salty popcorn will be a good combination with sweet coke,since everytime these 2 are the musts for me to watch a movie,sometimes,it's too much together,where do they have salty popcorn around here

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Culture shock...umm...oh yeah! People here love to play a kind of "ball" game, which is quite fine, but...the problem is, the "ball" is not round, and they merely kick it, and they call it "football"!!! They even have a NATIONAL league for this, and call the final winner of the league "The WORLD Championship" :)

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Dear Ami, you have made some very interesting conversations here. Usually I don't feel like to discuss things on the forum. Well, it is partly your thread, partly my insomnia. :)

Culture shock can be as small as savory popcorns or big as anthropological comparison. My observations are surely ex parte but based on my own experiences:

1. Europeans eat simpler but mind the table manners more, compared with the most of us. Ergo, we spend more time shopping for food, cooking, eating and cleaning the kitchen afterwards. I wonder if someone has researched on that "the change of Chinese dietary habits will largely increase our productivity".

2. In China, people help people, if one doesn't have a family or friends, tough luck. In the developed countries, the government helps people thus there are more solitary eccentrics. 

3. I have to admit that western women are positively becoming pivotal in their society, tough, mature and pragmatic. While chinese women, as we are, are not fundamentally different from those characters in the Dreams of the Red Chambers, not matter how dominant we try to look like or how sexually liberal some try to be. 

4. Chinese don't make the "mistake" to let poor people have dreams.

5. Westerners sometimes think it is charming to make fun of their own culture or people while Chinese are over-sensitive. 

6. War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. We don't perceive ourselves as how others perceive us. 

There are really much more than these but I am sure people will pile them on. 

A good topic chosen, Ami :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.