Discussion » Travel » What you didn't learn in school because you

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    <p>I assume this doesn't work because I can't edit code.</p> <p></p> <p>So click the link when you want to not waste an hour.</p> <p><a href="http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia">http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia</a></p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... though this web site is not blocked, the video does take forever to load, care to tell us what this is about?

However, in general, per each country's principles and/or politics, it is really not a huge surprise that even American kids are kept from learn something ... like certain part of history is kept out of Chinese school books, similarly Japan, Korean etc ...

Before I am talking about something that's totally irrelevant, Is it what this video is about?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I can't get the video to load, but in my school we certainly learned about the US founding Liberia as a place to send former slaves. "Liberia" is like the word "liberation", because the initial inhabitants were freed slaves.  Well, the initial colonial occupiers/government leaders were former slaves anyway.

As I remember, the idea was sort of a wierd combination of motives.  It was a combination of racists trying to get rid of black people, black American leaders looking for a home back in Africa, random theories about "fixing" the mistake of the slave trade and re-seperating the races by sending black people back to Africa, white people who felt guilty about slavery and wanted to do something to help but were far too racist to actually want black people to stay in America and just be normal citizens, etc etc.  The whole thing was a pretty wierd experiment in retrospect, and it turned into a shit storm for the people who already lived there.  Although I suppose overall it was better than slavery.

Anyway, it was definitely in the text books. I guess your school sucked, or you didn't actually do your homework.  Haha.

If the video is about Charles Taylor and all that shit from recent years, then no, we didn't learn that in school, of course, since it was still happening.  But Hollywood covered all that -- just watch Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond or Nicolas Cage in Lord of War.  Both movies are sadly accurate -- though exaggerated.  Large chunks of Lord of War were based in Monrovia, which is Liberia's capital.  These truths aren't exactly being hidden from the American public.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Oh well, it loads in the U.S.

Yes, it's Charles Taylor and what a shitstorm we created. Blood Diamond and Lord of War seem to have underrepresented how fucked up things are. "The first thing you want to do when you get there is get the hell out."

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

How is youtube going to help anyone hon?

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

I have to say that all countries will "leave out" certain information that they wish their natives not to know. It has little to do with who we are.

As with your kids, friends and loved ones. Are you going to tell them all the dirt you carry on your plate?

Don't be a hypocrite. All nations do this.

by the way. Diamonds suck. I would rather get a tattoo if i were to get married again.

cough cough

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

"But talking about the Liberia situation is popular amongst white supremacists. They love to use this situation to paint a picture depicting black people as savage animals who can't live civily amongst themselves. I hope that's not an underlying motive."

That certainly wasn't a factor I took into consideration. It takes a long time for people anywhere to develop a civilization that functions. It's not surprising that this happened when a bunch of people with guns and no common government suddenly decided to make a country. When P.R.C. sponsored the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, giving them weapons to take over the country, the Khmer Rouge also started indiscriminately killing, raping, torturing, and enslaving their contrymen. The phenomenon certainly isn't unique to Africa.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

American colonial ventures in Africa were never as "successful" as those of Europeans because the continent has never presented efficient opportunities for resource extraction, besides human resources. And we can't do that anymore, so Americans think of Africa as being one big fucked up country instead of a continent.

Sierra Leone? What's that? Is that like a fancy apartment complex or something?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

" the continent has never presented efficient opportunities for resource extraction"

Really? Then wtf is China doing there?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Developing the infrastructure and teaching the locals about Confucius?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yeah, the P.R.C. is really generous. Three cheers for the party!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.