Discussion » Nonsense » why?

• Tuco
    Tuco wrote:
    <p>why do people here in China study English for so many years yet, barely can use it?</p>
  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

This is not a reason dude.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It's just they want to speak like native american,:)

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:

ha,yup, talk like a book~you may  get high marks in English writing in Chinese education system~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ami ... I am sure most Chinese in HK and Taiwan dont talk to each other in English, or at least not all the time ...

In terms of the education structure and schedule, we started learning English from kindie in HK, and I imagine it is similar in Taiwan, whereas in mainland, for the 70's and 80's anyway, it did not start until primary or later ...

Also, some of the schools in HK conducted primary and secondary classes in English, by teachers who can speak English, which had also helped to build English proficiency ... and as far as I understand, most classes at Uni level in HK, were conducted in English as well ...

I dont know for sure, but are they doing that in China?

If I understand correctly, most Uni text books are printed in Chinese, unless it is something related to foreign languages or international studies, so when they want to communicate with a foreign colleague, it becomes awkward ... actually, that reminds me, when I first went back to HK after Uni, and picked up a computer reference printed in Chinese, I was lost before I finished the first page ...

So, I think, this comes down to one word ... practicality ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Thanks Afroman.

English is a language that is spoken by too many countries, but it's still called English. It depends on how u want to use that language, but if u need to speak English and go with ur company to SUDAN for work as u are going to use, why are u looking to speak like Hillary Clinton? The most important would be to understand and convey ur message. But most Chinese I've met would like to twist their tongue and sound like Bill and Hillary.

Try to to understand different people and get to know their ways of speaking. U won't tell someone, I don't understand u because u r speaking Indian English.. This reminds me my time at the Uni, It takes us over a week to understand our Indian Prof on how he speaks.

Most Chinese people also, even abroad, don't have a good environment, u can see them in the US, but from morning to evening, they are floaking only with Chinese fellows using Nihao, Chi le ma?

U need an environment to improve the language, u don't need to speak only with Reverent Danda or Afroman cause they are foreigners, find some Chinese friends, practice, don't be afraid of making mistakes. 

Talk  to your bf, have some english dinners once in a while, call him Darling instead of Ching ai de?(this one I don't know how to write as am still learning Chinese:)), if u don't have a bf and u like pet as most Chinese girl like owning dogs, talk to you dog in English__The most interesting thing while u r talking to ur dog is that. it won't laugh at ur mistakes.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.