Discussion » Dating & Romance » what will you do if ur parents do not want you to

• Party
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Nothing different from whatever I was going to do anyway. (Probably not marry that person).

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that actually happened twice ...

In the first case, that was my ex GF and she did not have a rosy relationship with my mother, and I had a fairly bad time dealing with all the little "fire works" between them ... that went on for about 3 years, and it did, strangely, end quite peacefully, because the ex went back to HK after graduation ...

In the second case, it was my wife (the current one, also the first one, heehee), because, fitting her star sign, she has a very strong personality and often very bossy, and my mother had "warned" me about her ...

I have recently heard a case like this:

A girl, in her final year of Uni, received some gifts from this guy she met at school, and they have not started dating yet, her mother asked her, does this guy have car and house, if not, dont marry him ... expectedly, she'd got very upset about her mother ...

So, in most cases, it came down simply to "reason", rational or otherwise, and how you choose ... they might have some pitiful excuses or reasons, or perhaps some unreasonable expectations of your GF or your future marriage, you will need to understand and give them some explanations with your decision ...

As Gavin said, you can choose your spouse, but not your parents, so whatever decision you made, you will need to live with the consequence, and dont ever say things like "you were right, I should not have married her" or similar, which would hurt your marriage, as well, it will in some ways give them more control over you future decisions ...

• Elizabeth Siblesz

i will marry him,cuase thats my life,if i really love him ,he cant be so bad,but why do you have to marry,love each  other is more important isnt it?

• 申琪 Annie Shen

i ll consider about him for a little while make sure he is the one. if i am so sure about it,i will work on it.trying to talk to my parents.

as my bf says nothing comes easy.

so keep working on it.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

this is one aspect of china that I can not agree with. Sorry, I understand it all however, parents are just people and believe that nobody has the right to make me feel bad about which person I choose to be with. Even if I am wrong. Because, that is how we learn, by making mistakes. i think some chinese parents are far over protective.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Bedtyger, I couldn't agree with more with u. Parent should give advice and their opinion and leave the decision to the child.

But, as Bedtyger said, in China and some part of Asia this is a serious problem, ur parents are the one to okay and decide on ur partner. Mostly in China once u've got Beijing or Shanghai Hukou, a car and even a 20sq meters apartment, u will be accepted by parents.

I remember a church member (a lady in her 30) of mine approching me, crying and lost, I asked her, what's up? She said, my bf is from Shangdong, he is and IT guy, he earns 6krmb, I love him. But I decided to introduce him to my dad, and my dad asked me: Where is he from? I said Shangdong, does he have an apartment in Beijing? I said not yet. How much does he earn? I said 6k.

Her dad said: He doesn't have Bj Hukou, he makes little cash, he doesn't have a house, he doesn't have a car, stop dating this boy, otherwise I'm gonna divorce your mother!

As a good chinese lady, she had to give up her love in spite of the advice I, the High Priest gave.

Now, she met someone from Skype, a German boy, who just has a second hand car in his homeland, still living in his parents home, not making up to 6k as her ex bf, and I saw her parents in Germany spending 3 months and celebrated the wedding of their daughter...

Wish them happiness

• Marita Karlsen

我dady ,mummy 不会那样的。

如果他们不喜欢我嫁人,那条件是他们给我找到另一个要娶我的人。

• Marte Joahansen

If this question does'nt sound childish,

you could as well marry your parents.

WTF?

• Ms Jing
    Ms Jing wrote:

agree with MIKE

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:
  • Bobo
    Bobo wrote:
  • Petter Meisfjordskar

I wait until my parents die then i marry her.!!!!

• Monica Dalseghagen

i tell them to go to hell.................they already had fun together.its now my turn so they should respect my decission. and i know they will.........if they LOVE me

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm pretty sure my parents' disgust for my lifestyle of career bachelorhood is greater than their potential dislike for any warm-blooded animal I might bring home for holiday dinners.

• Simen Stensvoll

to marry him later(maybe after my parents all past) 

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I'll say, "suggestion well received, thank you. If I get divorced in the future, then you win, and I'll treat you two a big dinner~"

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.