Discussion » Current Events » Japan destroyed

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    <p>I just watched about 1000 innocent Japanese people die right in front of me on BBC.&nbsp; This is insane, these videos are beyond belief.&nbsp; I feel like I'm going to vomit.</p> <p>It's going to take them decades to recover from this.&nbsp; Airports destroyed, nuclear plants destroyed, radiation leaking, entire towns and villages wiped away, oil refineries exploding, Tokyo in flames.&nbsp; If the casualties are less than 10,000 it'll be a miracle.</p>
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Clint, you're obviously not watching the videos.

CNN said this was the 7th largest earthquake since people started recording magnitudes.  The same type of thing happened to cause the Indonesian tsunami in 2004 and 200,000 people died.

I watched an entire town get destroyed via a helicopter video shot by a Japanese news team.  Then we saw the wave approach a highway packed with speeding cars and buses as people were desperately trying to escape, and the wave destroyed everything.  The cars, the highway, poof.  All gone.

The videos now are showing hundreds and hundreds of cars and buses and trucks that are all submerged.  Entire 5 story buildings are being dragged along by the waves, while they're on fire.  This is on the TV, in front of me.  It's ridiculous to think that no bodies are in there.

The death toll will be enormous.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Such a tragedy, reminds me of the US during hurricane Katrina. In these events, the real problems come afterwards.... looting, fires, lack of sanitation, food, etc. Best of luck Japan.
  • Fiona Chan
    Fiona Chan wrote:

God bless them.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... where is this video? Is it blocked?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Are you people retarded?  These images are everywhere.  It's even on CCTV News. Even the Chinese language news broke away from their endless praise about the wonderous CPPCC meetings.

Japan's government just said this is the biggest earthquake in the history of Japan, and probably the worst natural disaster in their history.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

And when I say "you people", I mean DD and Clint.

• Smoki Wong
    Smoki Wong wrote:

bless

• G
    G wrote:

God bless...

The casulaties shd be less than 10,000 cuz Japan has more experience dealing with earthquake and the quality of buildings is pretty good.

Is 2012 on the way?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

I am sorry that I had been occupied ...

I have been called many things, and retard is nothing new anyway ... by the way, if anyone had questioned that, the "laugh" was to calm things down in case Ethan might not have a vicodin (or something stronger) close by ...

I have googled the news, and if it is correct, the center of the quake is actually off-shore ...

I had also tried to google for video and I must say I have not found anything that look remotely similar to a disaster movie yet ... I did see one where the water flowed under the bridge, and swept away many cars, while little cars and trucks are still rolling along the bridge (similar to what Clint said) ... I also saw some photos of many people evacuated from buildings in Tokyo ... and that's really all ...

I am cold, but I am not that cold, and I just want to see the facts before being too overly emotional ...

Now, feel free to stone me ...

• Joakim Lund Rangel

So far 32 people is confimed dead. However they fear thousands is dead

• G
    G wrote:

Bali Earthquake 2011: Jakarta, Indonesia – An earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale hit parts of central Indonesia on Friday morning.

• Alban
    Alban wrote:

ETHAN,

Your description of the quake is overdone , I  have just  hanged up the phone with a japanese friend who told me in Tokyo , two fires broke out but not much serious damage on buildings..

However northern Japan seems to be the most affected with a higher number of casualties..

We are living information age and people have better way to communicate , so there is no possible information asymetry ....

We don't need such sadic entertainment from  you ,  we pray for the victims as we did for Sichuan.

God Bless 'em !

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

being sad!

it felt like it was the last day of my life when i experienced the 2008 earthquake.natural disaster is the worst thing to human beings,u just sound so immature if u think chinese ppl are celebrating!!!

• Person
    Person wrote:
  • Person
    Person wrote:

i mean foxnews....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Person
    Person wrote:

the weather forecast for brisbane nextweek
    i guess this would possibly caused by the tsunami/earthquake? it's raining outside now...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

man. my sister texted me while i was in class today. i heard that tremors were felt in beijing. nasty .

i know its not the time but this has nothing to do with that false prophecy of the mayans.

what can we do to help them?

• Simen Wangberg

"Hope Chinese people will begin to think, why Japan has more powerful earthquake but much much less people died compare to Sichuan's."

Ohhhh snap, good one. Although sadly, I think some Chinese netizens will be celebrating the disaster, but I hope I'm wrong.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

Q: can I laugh now, even if a little? By the way, where is Ethan anyway? Too drugged?

Per the Chinese versus Japanese situation ...

I would not be surprised if my mother might feel the same way as Lee's GF if it were two or three decades ago, being that she was born duing WW2 and had experienced the war, or part of it, and my guess is that she is neutral now ... I had never felt that way, and I am quite sure most HK people of my generation (post 60) would not neither, and definitely not anyone younger, but why is the gen Y in mainland so mad about Japanese?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

So far the police have recovered 200-300 bodies from Sendai, with reports stating as many as 10,000 people remain missing.  The casualties are rising by the minute.  I have no idea why some people on this site want to prove how cool they are by not caring about all those dead people or not believing that anything serious has happened, but I think you're all massive dipshits.

It's accurate that Japan is much wealthier than other places hit by mega-earthquakes, but the danger here is not the earthquake.  They have already survived the earthquake quite well.  Probably the quake caused 50 or fewer deaths thanks to Japan's amazing infrastructure.  The problem is the tsunami -- no amount of technology or development or wealth can defend a country from these things.

Someone earlier mentioned that this is just like Katrina in the US.  I think that's fairly correct, but this is worse. 

Also, as an analogy to Hurricane Katrina, we have Clint and DD here playing the role of George W. Bush ("Everything's OK!  No big deal!  Who cares?!"), whereas the rest of us are playing the role of the American people -- or anyone with eyes -- and realizing what a catastrophe this is.

• TRACY
    TRACY wrote:

God  bless  Japan....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) So, it is not 1000 people?

• Lise Eilertsen

my sister lives in Chiba, the big explosin just happend this afternoon has 10km close to her.

also,my good friend lives in New Jersey, every 5mins they need to clear up the water out of the house cos the flood. North New Jersey even worse....;(

Really have no mood for partying tonight.

• Felicia
    Felicia wrote:
    Our planet has been warning us like always,esp these years.Human can be super strong and super weak with the nature! I'm into a little deep thinking again the way back home..again with Life,Value,the world,nature etc.. from now on,,don't forget watching the sky and thinking the true life no matter how such silly work or study things around.. well,,sincerely..love the ppl around us,Cherish each day and be thankful!care the nature still:O in addition,3.19?hope the shortest distance between Sun and Moon is ok for eArtH...Amen
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(back to my cold-hearted normal self now, at 5:xx am Beijing time)

Hahahaha ... Spire Arsov ... care to be friend with a retard? Perhaps not!

If I counted correctly, majority of the people on this thread did not utter a word when I was running around like a headless choke in January, worried about my friends in Brisbane, where flooding also washed away cars and people, where were you all then?

Geyu ... as two-faced as it might sound, considering how cold-hearted I am ... everything will be OK, just stay in touch with them online and on the phone, and remind them to prepare to run when things get worse ...

Lee ... that would be a big fat "yes" ... for years, back in the 70's and 80's, my mother refused to buy any Japanese brand, except a Sony made radio (and after it was broken, she bought a Sanyo), more so, she refused to go to Japanese restaurant, even after she migrated to Sydney ... her first Jap restaurant experience was done with much reluctance and resistance ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

hatred for others only hurts the ones who hold it.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

my father faught alongside of Chinese soldiers in WW2 in japan. he was injured very badly, they almost amputated his leg.

althought they nearly destroyed my family i have no animostiy towards them.

the truth is all governments like war. so phuck them

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

agree with Harmonious. but Lee I think your gf is an idiot. you should dump her

• Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

I really feel sorry  for everyone in Japan when i look at those pictures....Why the world can not be peaceful? 

It reminds me that "Money" is useless ....when the disaster comes, nothing can help you, you still can not get out of this world to another planet...

Lets enjoy our life, smile and appreciate for everything we have right now.....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Spire Arsov ... on behalf of all the retards in the world, particularly on this site, thank you :)

Hey Lee, maty, I am sorry to say that there are a lot of Chinese with attitude similar to your GF, you cant dump them all ... it's just common imperfection ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It's ridiculus to see how hatress is passed on from generation to generation in Asia___almost all Asians hate Japanese. I wonder if this wound could be healed someday?

I remember in my university, when I didn't know how much was the level of this hateress...I was shocked to see a Chinese girl, a classmate of mine, I don't know what she ate that day, she saw a Japanese Professor (he was 65) passing by, she stopped him and stared shouting at him, saying: "You! You! You are evil! You killled my fellow Chinese, I hate you! I hate you too much!" The old Prof, a great scholar, was so quiet and humble. And when students came to see what was going on, he just said: "M parents are the one who did this, not me, am Christian and I know what happened was wrong, I can't do that!"

What I can say is, if we keep in our memory what happened in the history, we won't move on. In different continents there have been too much attrocities made by countries that had power and gun powder, people from different countries wouldn't sit on the same table. Europeans messed up in Africa and South America, and many parts of the world. But I see the wound being well healed in africa, south america than in Asia, especially in China and Korea..

Look at how even when people should unite with others when they are dead, some people still mention what happened and the past and they pray the tsunami could have wiped Japan from the world map. It's more than evil

Let's not pass on this hatress, if not there couldn't a better future without forgiveness.

High Priest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

Being that Asia is a huge place which includes Middle East and India etc, I have doubt that if "almost all" is true, and my guess is that places like Tibet is actually quite neutral ... also, over the week I was recently in Taiwan, I was told (and then reminded many times) that Taiwanese have a love/hate thing Japan, because Japanese had done a lot of constructions in Taiwan during WW2 that had become the economy core of the island ...

So, I think, the "hatred" only extends to eastern two-third of China, also HK and Korea ... oh, perhaps some part of Russia ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Well, 叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工), Middle East is in Asia Minor, India China and others are in Asia Major and most of the time Asia is mentioned, it's all about Asia Major which China, India, Indonesia... are located. The extinction of hatred goes farther, the Philippiines for instance, Japanese can't just go out anyhow, they are too careful while hanging out, Indonesia, Malaysia and so on

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

For some the thought of Japan suffering is merely fate as they have dishonored so many in the past.But, I ask of you to think of the children and if you can pray and bring luck upon them, please do so for their parents as well.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... so, you were referring to the people of the core Asia economy, not directly the people of Asia? OK then ...

And, as you said before, "Let's not pass on this hatress", so let's not remind everyone about this, the effect of such reminder and "education" had been quite damaging already ... you said you are a priest, right?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I just saw a report on TV about a town of 18,000 people on the coast where as of now exactly half the people are missing.  The town is completely destroyed, and it seems many people never had a chance to leave their houses.  God willing some of them are actually off in some other place with family in other towns or something. But given that the people only had 30 minutes warning before everything was wiped out, it's hard to imagine the whole population could evacuate that fast. Japanese media is still optimistically estimating the overall national death toll at just 2000.  I hope they're right but I think they're wrong.

Now they've got these problems at the nuclear power plants.  There was some giant explosion at one, and their are talks of meltdowns at several of the reactors.  They've got a 10 K evacuation zone around them, but these "worst-case scenarios" say people could get lethal dosages of radiation up to 100 K away.  These are the most sophisticated and secure nuclear plants in the world, but with this kind of damage the technicians are kind of helpless.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It's sad what's going on there, Nuclear power used to be like one of the most clean energy, but this unprecendented case scenario prove people wrong...

And now they have revsed the magnititue from 8.8 to 9, but I still think it was much higher than this.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

What happened to all the people at the beginning of this thread who told me I was overreacting, and that I needed to take a vicodin, and that I was massively exagerating, and that whatever was happening in Japan was no big deal?  Believe me, I wish I had been wrong, but pretty much everything I wrote in the very first post is 100% accurate. Anyone watching it unfold with their own eyes could tell the severity of what was happening.

I notice the people who were shitting on me and calling me an idiot seem to have vanished from the thread, except for DD, who is here but maybe has convenient memory loss.

Ah the internet, where no one is ever accountable for the things they say...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@Ethan, u were right, even now, no one knows the intensity of what is going on there, the way I see wracked cars and home flying, I can't see them getting the real number of people who died. This is a real devastation

• Sab
    Sab wrote:
  • Sylvia Zhang
    Sylvia Zhang wrote:

shocked...i just saw the video.

god bless Janpan..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ethan ... as you might in fact be unfamiliar with my past, I did have a brain surgery in June 2001, which might have affected my memory, and if such had caused you any dismay, I am not sure what to make of it ...

... by the way, my guess is that you are American, right?

I am all for propaganda, but certain news should be reported as facts, not out of exagerration, especially the bad one ...

... (again) by the way, where was your crystal ball made?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Which part did I exaggerate?

I really don't understand you people, how can you not be emotional about this kind of thing?  Why do you think it's so cool to act like it's no big deal?

Yes, I was fueling the freak out because I was freaking the fuck out, because I'm human and anyone watching that shit live had better well have freaked out unless that person is a callous asshole who doesn't give a fuck. The videos that they were showing live that afternoon included images of people visibly being crushed, cars and trucks that were moving on highways, with people visible in the windows, and then suddenly submerged -- gone.  They haven't shown those videos on replay since then, probably because they realized how awful it is and only Al Jazeera likes to show that kind of bloody stuff.  But when the video is live as the disaster is unfolding, BBC doesn't cut away from whatever the camera sees.

Sp anyway, congrats to you guys for being so awesomely unconcerned with all these lives that have been destroyed.  I dream that some day I can be as cool as you.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

OK Clint, I will extend an olive branch based only on this principle: I was watching it happen live, on TV, while the rest of you were relying on momentary and edited google clips, or whatever you were watching.

I was not attempting to use predictive powers when I wrote that post.  I wasn't using a crystal ball.  Everything I said was completely obvious to anyone who was watching it unfold live.  Unless you had your head completely up your ass, it was immediately obvious that this was a catastrophe on a global and historic scale.  For those of us in front of the television, they were already showing the nuclear plants, already showing the explosions and the fires, and we were watching entire towns vanish in front of us.

Like, at 2:05 a helicopter is showing a live shot of a town with jammed traffic and people scrambling to escape.  Then at 2:06 the camera pans to the right to show a massive wave approaching.  Then it pans back to the traffic streaming to escape.  Then, at 2:07 the entire town is destroyed right in front of us.  Then the exact same scene repeats itself all over the coast.  Then the oil refineries start exploding; then we get ominous shots of shaking and cracking and damaged nuclear plants.  No one has ever seen video imagery like that outside of a hollywood movie, and I'm watching it right in front of me.  It hardly seemed real.

So I post everything that I'm seeing, and the completely obvsious fact that thousands of people have died.  And I immediately have to deal with you idiots yelling at me that "only 3 people have died!"  Or maybe, "Only 12 people have died!"  "Ethan, you're an idiot, only 30 people have died!"

Now how the fuck am I supposed to respond to that? And even as those posts are coming in, I'm still watching CNN and BBC and seeing the destruction pile up.  It felt like you guys were swimming in willful ignorance, and frankly I'm still not clear why.

You said to me that if the situation was really that serious, then "they'd bloody well mention something."  What could you possibly have been talking about? Who's They, and what exactly were they not mentioning?

All I could think about is George W Bush during hurricane Katrina.  Everyone in the media and on the ground is screaming about what a serious emergency this is, and Dubya is "keeping his cool" and insisting everyone else is overreacting.  Needless to say, that did not turn out well.  And although this is obviously much worse than Katrina, there are still people on this thread who seem willfully unaware of the extend of the casualties.

Sorry for the title "Japan destroyed".  That was too much.

• Lise Eilertsen

I appriciate that everyone here still have chance to only "chat"about that.

my family mumbers are there,i do worry about them. but I wouldnt think about "vomit" or what....i only wish the disaster will end up soon,or if i can find a good way to help them now. the resources are VERY limited there. everywhere is empty,I already told them to buy even some vitamin pills,protein powders few days ago,hope they did.

My porpose of writing something here is to wish everyone stop argueing,pick up your own life. the life is still continue until someday we re "done".today is 2011,March 14th. how could you waste a year for thinking about the world end?hehe... no offence.

Cool off guys,enjoy your day today!tomorrow will take care of itself. ;)

• 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:

to Lee ford

when you say "My GF is ignorant to the ways of the world",  the fact might be  u r ignorant to her feeling and knowledge.

However I do agree that you should break up with her

• Hanna Amalie Martinsen

is it true that the earth was moved ten inches off its orbit by that bloody quake?

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

这次日本地震韩国很给力,去日本救援只派了5个人2条狗的救援队,到了东京狗就跑丢了一只,现在那5个人在找狗。

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Moonriver, I agree with your statement, but there are not many innocent people here' there are no children just ones whom believe that it exists within them.Make an attempt to take a literary journey though eclectic comments and posts, some of the racism or even blatant disrespect for common sense remains wild and prevalent. Yes, the world is changing and hopefully you and you family will be blessed.

• Lise Eilertsen

@Tina:

You know why these 5 poor korean looking for their dogs? cos they just lost half of their food,cant survive ahhahahaha...

Dog only means flesh for them! keep them alive,keep it fresh!

• Sab
    Sab wrote:

We have not much time left!
    The Maya's calendar predicted the last day
    of the Human on Planet Earth: 

>> 12.12.21. <<

01.09.11. - New York WTC Terror attack 
    11.03.10. - Japan biggest Earthquake

ADD THESE NUMBERS !

01.09.11. +
    11.03.10. =

So let us have fun and free sex like in the 60's, let everybody smoke ganja openly, let's eat like a hedonist, because all the effort is useless, we're gonna die :)

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

Everyone is gonna die one day or another so its no big deal

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... guess we wont make it till our 10th anniversary then ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@Sab Keeman, There's no much time left, that's why we need all to come to our church and repent.

We shall pray and ur sins will be washed away

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Afroman, to be Christian, u've got to a gentleman. ladies first. :)

• Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

I see the earth in seven days:

6/3/2011:   6.2 earthquake occurred in Chile; 
    7/3/2011:   6.66 earthquake occurred in Solomon Islands; 
    8/3/2011:   4.3 earthquake occurred in Zhoukou ; 
    9/3/2011:   7.3 earthquake occurred inTokyo, Japan;
     10/3/2011:  5.8 earthquake occurred in Yingjiang of Yunnan ; 6.2 earthquake occurred the inshore of Japan; 
    <span id="result_bo
  • Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

11/3/2011  6.2 earthquake occurred in Bali, Indonesia

9.0 earthquake occured in Japan

• 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:

To Lee Ford

cos Im ur GF, using some one else's account !!!!!

To Tina

消息属实吗?

求新闻来源

• Sab
    Sab wrote:

• 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:

Oh !Dont be silly! Im smart enough to use a translation machine or sth!

Miss ya mate!!

This is my school mate's account, he is an attractive guy, lol! Silly me

• Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:

unbelievable...................................

Its like a horror movie plot、

as many disasters happened from the past few years,I kinda adapt the world goes worse and worse. and do u believe the end of the world will coming soon?

and I have a feeling like island country in danger

• 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:

有新闻说 放射性的尘埃会被吹到北美去呢!!威力太巨大了

• Tina
  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

@ Tabitha

I agree, however, it often takes an event such as this to show our humanity. Otherwise on a daily basis, hmm, i would say there is little of it going on.

• Joakim Berg Solum

Couple of thoughts on this:

#1, do you have any kind of plan at all for natural disasters? I don't mean stockpiling food and ammo like I would have probably done in good old Missouri, but I just think to myself, if all online communications were cut, how would I even find my friends and family? Scary thought to be completely cut off without any contingency plan

#2, people need to stop blowing up this nuclear disaster bit. China halted plans for some of its own nuclear reactors, and for what? Don't want to spread too much politics here but people need to stop being so afraid of this technology and overreact everytime there is an incident... 

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

#1 yup, participate in maximizing the terror level by scaring everyone I can about what's happening.

#2 you say that cause you live in Chicago, haven't you heard that the whole california is gonna have 3 ears and 2 noses soon?

• Sinbad
    Sinbad wrote:

God  bless  Japan

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.