Discussion » Nonsense » Do u think the UN or other powerful countries shou

• Steve Mensah
    Steve Mensah wrote:
    <p><span style="font-size: large;">DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN LIBYA?ONE MAN(GADAFHI) HAS BEEN RULING FOR MORE THAN 40YEARS AND NOW THAT THE PEOPLE SAY THEY WANT A CHANGE HE STARTS MASS KILLINGS OF HIS OWN PEOPLE.FRANKLY AM SURPRISED THAT COUNTRIES LIKE TH USA AND BRITIAN HAVENT DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT THE QUESTION IS WHY HASNT ANYTHING BEEN DONE TO STOP THIS?DO U THINK OTHER COUNTRIES SHOULD INTERVENE?</span></p>
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Yes, of course we should help those people.  But if we do, everyone in China & Iran & Venezuela etc. will start screaming about "American imperialism" and and they'll try to turn Gaddafi into some kind of hero.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

uh...steve,apparently you are a big fan of caps lock ,it sorta took me back to the hangover or creating one.....

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Steve, don't write in caps lock. In English internet, caps lock used for anything longer than a specific emphasis means that you want the reader to sodomize you forcefully in the face.

And yeah, I kinda agree with Ethan here. Everytime the U.S. wants to invade someone for murdering their citizens, a good portion of the world gets pretty uppity over it. The U.S. murders our citizens too, and you don't see anyone invading us over it. It seems that change has to come from within to be accepted.

Although, since I am Jewish, I should sometimes be thankful for American imperialism. I'd prefer they start before the genocide next time though.

• Stina Rytter Norheim

i dont think my country can do anything .i mentioned the names of the US and britian cos they are the giants of the west and europe and command respect in their regions.its just bad that mass killings is going on in a country but no other country is doing anything about it.i know its not easy to intervene in another country's affairs but these are innocent lives that are being lost just cos one man says he wants to rule until he dies.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Even when the U.S. invaded Serbia/Kosovo, which I support in retrospect based on the information I have about it, everyone got all pissy about our hedgemony. How about China go stop a genocide for a change?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Two simultaneous and utterly bogus wars have already bankrupted us fiscally and morally. The US needs to get the fuck out of the region and spend all that war money building a domestic transportation infrastructure that doesn't leave our economy leveraged on oil and gas prices. You know. Like the New Deal stuff that was so catastrophically successful that it looked like it might make Americans dangerously equal. Like COMMUNISM.

Then China can do in Africa what we did in both World Wars: quit selling guns to everyone, kill whoever's losing anyway, and pretend to be the heroes while seizing control of the post-conflict development efforts.

It'll be like a geopolitical buddy cop movie and it'll be all BROS BEFORE HOS when they agree to dump Israel and Best Korea.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

I would prefer is they just dropped the bomb and get all this shit over with. then we can start over.

fucking war....

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

the events in that region are sad. and of course need help. but in my firm belief, the USA should stay the fuck out of any country other than its own.

they have so many problems that if they don't do something it will really go down.

dando for president

• Stina Rytter Norheim

well its just a pity that lives are being lost and no country wanna do anything.what about the UN?cant they do something about it?

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

of coz other countrieSSSSS should do something.

The thing is, you'd say people hate monopoly rather than hate dictatorship -- even if the monopoly's kinda good, so the macro situation right now (I mean for the near 20-30 years) is kinda complicated. To be frank, I don't agree the Chinese gov idea of "never intervene other countries' internal affair", but, the world need more "cops" to make people feel comfortable when their affairs are intervened. I think sooner or later, my american friends would realize what other countries - I mean China, really want to do: China may not want to rule the world, that's boring; and what China want is not only to have more profit share in the US system; what China want is to shatter the foundation on which kinds of logic, ideology, X-ism, methodologies, etc. are built for american people -- "we are always better and kinda superior" -- and such a thinking foundation is destined bad for any world  "cops" in the future :)

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

All very reasonable wishes for China, Da Fan, but off topic.  Tell me when some part of China's vision for the future world order involves lifting even the slightest finger to help when thousands of people are dying horribly in other countries.  Until then I'm not sympathetic to the whining about American hegemony or other Chinese excuses for innaction or roadblocking.  (Though for the record, China has been unusually non-obstructionist on the Libya issue so far.)

The fact of the matter is, the OP got the situation right in his caps-locked into: there are usually only two countries on earth that give enough of a shit about civilian massacres to do something about them -- the US and the UK. Every other country just likes hearing the sound of its own voice, but won't do a damn thing to help. But because the US has blood on its hands from the Bush horrors (and Vietnam, and everything else), everyone reflexively hates the idea of it doing anything.  The UK is in the same boat, and won't act without US support anyway. 

So international public opinion is focused more on hating the US than on giving two fucks about the innocent people getting slaughtered in Libya.  Thems the breaks.  Sucks to be in Libya.  Have fun dying, guys -- it's more cool to hate America than it is to save your lives!

Not that the US would act anyway, even with international support from the UN Security Council.  There's too much pressure on the politicians not to do anything, thanks to the unholy alliance of Noam Chomsky-reading, Michael Moore-watching Dando-ites and the Glen Beck-watching, Rush Limbaugh-listening Fox Newsers, all of whom don't want America to do anything to help foreigners for basically the same reason: they want American resources to be used at home to help Americans rather than to be "wasted" on other people, they don't think it's a good idea (right-wing) or possible (left-wing) for the US to do something for moral reasons, and they're so drowning in their own cynicism and bitterness that they're willing to withhold life-saving assistance to people in far off countries in order to score a political victory over the people they hate back in the US.  They couch their arguments in different language and use different reasoning and bring up different historical precedents, but the result is the same.

They are all full of shit.  People are dying and the US should help.  We have the money, power, and resources to help, and therefore we should help, period.  But we won't.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

yeah, it's kinda off topic. as I said, first, it, the change I mean, takes at least 20-30 years from now, so I think the US and its 51 state would and need to keep on serving as the world cop for decade -- ppl may need them with hatred -- cost of any "monopoly" or "dictatorship" -- that's why I sometimes half joking about the CPC: what ever you do for China and Chinese people, even they are 100% good deed, Chinese people would still make fun of you, hate you, against you, take you as scapegoat for anything they feel not so satisfied with with no reasons, and we all know that you cannot make everyone happy -- that's the cost of monopoly and dictatorship. It needs the nationalist party, so that they two any spit onto each other to better fool your people~~

In a word, I'm not THAT cynical toward the real reason for what the US did in the past 50 years, and I believe other countries need to get involved if one country's on the wrong track. It just, for the US's own sake, I think it's better to find a way to share power and responsibilities with other countries/country equivalents like China, Japan, EU, etc. Of course, there are obstacles, the first one is, as I mentioned, if the righties in the US's willing to forget all the stupid heroism complex; the second one is, whether other countries are able to take the responsibilities, and whether they are willing to do so. Maybe they will, but it takes another several decades to go

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

We're on the same page Da Fan, I agree with all that.  ;)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Astaroth, I thought you resigned, or at lease reincarnated yourself as "Mike". Are you back?

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:

It seems other countries do want to do something about it, but there's a problem in deciding what.

There's already a growing military presence from both the US/UK in the area, including some on the ground establishing 'diplomatic' ties with the rebel forces.

If they want want help, they will likely receive some. Whether they want it though, is another question it seems, especially after considering other factors.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Wow Moonriver, that was even more spectacularly off-topic than anything I could have anticipated.  I know most Chinese only ever want to talk about issues related to China, and steer all coversations back to China things, no matter what everyone else is trying to talk about...but even now?  Even on a posting where we're talking about innocent people dying in the Middle East?......You want to talk about free travel for Chinese people in the EU?  I'm speechless.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I can't understand what you're trying to say because your English is kind of incomprehensible.  Are you accusing me of not speaking up in defense of the civilians killed in the 1940s, which was more than 30 years before I was born?  If so, that's awesome.

Either way, I'm impressed you didn't use the word "China" a single time in your post.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ethan, Moonriver's comment was a response to the thread title. I'm sure she's not the only one who doesn't read the actual thread content. I haven't read anything written on here in 5 months - I'm just posting responses to what I presume people have written.

• Simen Wangberg

I'm not sure exactly, but I guess my favorite Chinese food is probably 北京烤鸭, or 新疆烤鸡翅. There's lots of really great stuff out there though. 饺子 is always a good bet. One thing I do miss though? American-style Chinese food, as it seems to be the only food that you can't actually get anywhere in Beijing.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Snarf.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

嘻嘻 Mike, that was off topic 嘻嘻

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.