Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » WLIB New Feature: Chat (BETA)

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Starting from today all users can now chat with each other using the panel at the bottom of the page.

Open the "Online now" panel and click on a user to initiate a chat session with that user.

You will need to install Silverlight 3 for your browser to be able to use the chat.

The "Online now" list now only contains users that have Silverlight installed and
    are able to use the chat.

Please post all bug reports in this thread.

Update: Socket server crashed at one point, Restarted it. Will try to locate the error
    Update2: Socket server should not crash anymore now. 
    Update3. Socket server still crashed, searching...
    Update4. Socket server not crashing anymore, but there seem to be a bug where a chat session gets completly destroyed and cant be reestablished. Working on it
    Update 5. Bugs fixed
    Update 6: Now the online list only contains your friends

• Christian Hansen

Nice!

In Google chrome seems that the minimize link/button does not work will test more later, have to go...

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Ok, the socket server just crashed, I restarted it, will try to find the error

• Amalie Sæverud

hope there is refresh button or button for the next page, so you can chat with more possibilities?

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Dumb and Dumber: sorry, I dont understand your question =)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha 。。。

1. I click on someone, a "chat" window opened, I typed "hello" or something like that in the lower box, but I did not see what I typed in the top window ...

Q: is that supposed to be?

2. There is a "Minimize" on the top right of "Online Now", it did not work ... is it supposed to?

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工) 
    I have restarted the server a few times due to crashes, you were probably writing text while the server was down. Do you still have this problem?

2. We are working on it. 

• Amalie Sæverud

??  ok, when you open the online now window, there basicly no one there I have interests to talk with! And my friends online are not there in the window!

? Do I make myself clear?

you can have a button , called "next page"? so you can have more options to access more person?

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Dumb and Dumber: Yes we will later sort the list on your friends or people living in your area. Right now we are in testing phase

• Amalie Sæverud

ok, cool!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... or may I suggest for Dumb And Dumber, a tab called "My Friends" to narrow down the search, making it easier?

Thanks Ted ... will try again!

Q: Also, is the "blocking" setting auto-transferred to "Online Now", or "chat"?

• Amalie Sæverud

it doesn't work right now, just lose contact with someone here!

And thanks for Dingdang uncle!

I'm a big fan of yours!

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Afroman: noted

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

Dumb And Dumber ... thanks? I think? heehee ...

Ted  ... not too sure how it is related, but there is a long lazy grey bar next to "Online Now", taking up space on the screen, and (for example) I should be typing in this editor box that appears at the bottom of the screen, it actually sits on top of the editor box, and it is a bit annoying or inconvenient ...

Q: what it is for?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

what editor box are you talking about here?

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

GodFather, buy a new pc :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ole ... e.g. the editor box in the forum thread ... see below ...

Also ... notice that the cursor is "flashing" behind the grey bar ...

Ted ... I cannot see anything now in the chat window, so I cannot reply you ...

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:
  • G
    G wrote:

can't use it...

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

There seem to be a bug where a chat session gets completly destroyed and cant be reestablished. Working on it

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Ted ... although I dont remember how I did it, I remember that it logged me out from this site, which might have caused the "chat" to be lost in space ...

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Bugs fixed!

• Stina Rytter Norheim

if we could chat with more than 1 person at the same time(multiple online users but in the same window) just like the new msn.that would be really cool.

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Steve: we will implement tabs later

• Jully
    Jully wrote:
    Is it available for IPAD? Plus,can I hide the toolbar?
  • YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Now the online list only contains your friends

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Jully, I dont think iPad support silverlight. It doesn't even support flash.

Dont buy Apple products ;)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ted,

Silverlight also isn't supported on ANY distribution of Linux.

• Joakim Lund Rangel
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm getting a warning that it's a Silverlight 4 application and that I may experience some compatability problems. Moonlight can handle 1 & 2 with no problem and they're currently testing 3. But hey, this is a beta, so whatevs.

I typed a few messages into the chat window but nothing showed up on my end.

Hitting backspace deletes two characters at a time.

Honestly though I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of this feature anyway, unless there is a public chat for all online users upcoming; I'd rather send a private message with my MSN address than use this.

Why not use XMPP so I could use it with Pidgin? I'd suck your dick.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

All your dicks. That would be fair. You all work so hard.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

2011-03-06

I can see Ms. Stephanie online (and she is among my friends list), but I dont see her appearring in "Online Now" ... why?

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工)
    If you read my first post you will see that I wrote:

The "Online now" list now only contains users that have Silverlight installed and
    are able to use the chat.

That means that Ms. Stephanie dont have Silverlight installed =)

• Kent Bekkavik
    Kent Bekkavik wrote:

For those who like to disregard this apparently brilliant new feature, must they be so annoyed by pop up window asking for installing Silverlight every time they browse any site of wlib?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ted ... when you said "bugs fixed" earlier, I thought you had somehow, like what Uncle Bill did with Messenger, "convinced" (or forced) everyone to install SilverLight ... heehee ...

In that case, I would request WLIB to bring back the "time out" thing (auto log out) on this site, so that people appearing on this list are in fact people in front of the computer ... not just the computer itself, like I always do ... heehee ... more so, for those people who has a few hundred friends, or even in the thousand, this would make his/her world "smaller" and less exhausting ... 

• YOGI
    YOGI wrote:

Flash Mob: Any reason to not upgrade to a later silverlight version?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... wild guess is "Microsoft kater"? heehee ... just kidding ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I share your disdain for Apple software, but this is like voting for George W. Bush in 2000 because Al Gore was said to have taken credit for the Internet and the movie Love Story.

Like voting for Al Gore, accommodating Apple users feels kind of gross. Look at those elitist fucking hipsters drinking Starbucks coffee, pretending to write screenplays. Look at them with their smug sense of superiority and unwarranted self-importance. It's enough to make you feel sick.

But Silverlight is George W. Bush. He says he won't engage in "nation-building" diplomacy and that he'll work with Democrats to find bi-partisan solutions to problems. And he promises cross-platform compatability with Linux. Novell is Homeland Security.

As for Linux users like me, we're like radical anarcho-syndicalist terrorists. And sooner or later we're gonna wear black, start fires, and toss bombs if you don't show some solidarity with the free/open-source software movement.

• Kent Bekkavik
    Kent Bekkavik wrote:

@Ted, fussy fad should be explanation good enough.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Ted ... I was using this a minute ago, and I noticed that, on a random basis, some of the things that I "said" (i.e. typed) did not appear in the dialog box, and my guess is that they did not get "transmitted" (I cannot think of a better term) ... can you check that?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

if your blog post is to be posted on the frontpage, the lead would be used in one of the boxes on the frontpage (where my blog is today). It's basically a short text that fits into the layout on the frontpage.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... as reported .. this is now officially crippled ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

*cough*

XMPP

*/cough*

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

2011-03-30

Q: what is the (new) "View notifications" supposed to do? Just flashes? It seems to be clickable, and yet, it does nothing ...

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

lol, windows platform is already bad, then IIS as webserver is quite risky, then now silverlight? ... oh oh oh ^^

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... let's just say that, bright (and dark) ideas is part of the daily lives of WLIB admins ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...

Q: the witch is dead?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Viandoks ... it's likely that the guys were drunk and high when they came up with this idea ... it is all in the past now, we hope ... heehee ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think a public chat applet on the front page begging to be vandalized by anonymous guests would be a wonderful addition to the site. The promise of instant gratification might distract some of the less desirable posters in the forums.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.