Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing to pinpoint and track citizens via cellpho

• A.w
    A.w wrote:
    <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">Beijing is&nbsp;setting up &ldquo;Real Time Map of&nbsp;Beijing Citizen Locations&rdquo;, a system based on data collected from China Mobile&rsquo;s 17 million cell phone users in the city. The map will show distribution of the population within a certain area and time slot. The first phase project will be focused on Huilongguan and Tiantongyuan, two areas with mass population.</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">The system is said to be used for &ldquo;relieving <a title="traffic congestion" href="http://www.ministryoftofu.com/tag/traffic-congestion/">traffic congestion</a>&rdquo; and &ldquo;improve efficiency in outdoor activities,&rdquo; said&nbsp;Li Guoguang, deputy director of Society Development office of Beijing&rsquo;s Science &amp; Technology Committee.</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">Read more:</span></p> <p>http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2011/03/beijing-to-pinpoint-and-trail-citizens-via-cellphone/</p> <p>还是国内牛B,高科技利用的如此的好!</p> <p>拔电池,扔手机!不过买Iphone的人要心疼了!</p>
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

“improve efficiency in outdoor activities"   Ha! 

I know what that means.  I bet Mubarak and Gaddafi wish they had such tools to “improve efficiency in outdoor activities,” a couple weeks ago.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

My Dad actually worked on this technology for some UK companies. It's not exacly pin pointing, the error margin is like 50 to 150m or something. It's just triangulation. It's already used in the US and most of Europe for finding people for emergency calls and stuff. As far as I know though, China will be the first to take the data for everyone though and use it to look at how people are moving around when they are commuting and stuff. Actually quite a neat idea. Nowhere near as scary as it sounds either. Nobody will be able to find you in a building (figuring out which floor is impossible) or in a crowd.

More scary was the proposal (not sure if it went through) of GPS being manditory in all phones sold in the US. That would mean actual pin pointing.

• Simen Wangberg

"you don't need to call police,they will find you first"

I think that's the part Ethan is concerned about.

But whatever. I'm too ghost for these bitches to find me, even with fancy GPS bullshit. Come at me fools.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

uh this technology is old.

• G
    G wrote:

shit...shit...shit...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.