Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » What do you call "The National Language for Ch

• A.w
    A.w wrote:
    <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">China&rsquo;s national language is known by a variety of names.</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">A: <em>Putonghua</em> (普通话, &ldquo;common speech&rdquo;) on the mainland</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">B: <em>guoyu</em> (国语, &ldquo;national language&rdquo;) in Taiwan.</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">C: <em>hanyu</em> (汉语, &ldquo;Han language&rdquo;), Chinese in general is called</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">D: Zhong guo hua er &nbsp;(&nbsp;中国话儿,"Zhong guo hua"), Beijinger in general is called.. haha... maybe not... I don't know....</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">E:&nbsp; Zhong guo yu (中国语, <em>Zhōnggu&oacute; yǔ</em>), the latest one.....</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">People suggest use "zhong guo yu" instead of "han yu" because they believe that today, the term &ldquo;Han language&rdquo; is on equal footing with &ldquo;Tibetan language,&rdquo; &ldquo;Uyghur language,&rdquo; and other ethnic and regional languages too numerous to mention.&nbsp; well... political reason.......</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">I think that "Han yu" is the best~~ How about you?</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></p> <p><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: small;">&nbsp;</span></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

.. I just care I speak beijing hua... haha....

I think PU TONG HUA is represent whole China tho..

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    I know it as 普通话, or Mandarin. 汉语 kind of suggests that it includes all of the dialects or something to me. I'm not that sure.
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    北京话儿服务员儿三里屯儿 北京的出租车司挺像pirates:呀儿
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

我不會北京話兒,但是我挺喜歡玩兒。兒。

In China I typically say 普通話. As in, “您能說普通話嗎?我聽不懂你們的家鄉話”.

Outside China, I typically call it 中文, or whatever everyone else calls it. Maybe 國語.

I've never heard of this 中國語, it seems like one of those made up political concepts, just like 華人 and 中國 :-p

Also, sex.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

For what? Well, not for money, that would be illegal. How about for fun? Or maybe just to encourage commentary.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

哈哈,你怎麼又當蝸牛?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

pu tong hua=the official language(or the official dialect/accent/or whatever you wanna name it) of the PRC, guo yu=that for ROC. Basically these two are quite similar, but still, differences are everywhere, like tu dou (potato) means peanut in Taiwan. that's funny like they are quite surprised that beijing's restarauts got qing jiao tu dou si! :D

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Da Fan, is that true? The only difference I noticed (besides lack of 兒 where it should be) was 垃圾桶, and that everyone spoke with a gay lisp.

Erik, Shouldn't "Chinese" refer to standard Chinese, which isn't often called Mandarin anymore since it's not just spoken by officials. It's not like people are talking about Hakka or Cantonese when they say "Chinese".

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Moming, yeah it's true, taiwanese do call their official language "guo yu", which is almost the same with Putonghua in pronounciation, but there are many difference in the vocabulary. If you are interested in, sure I can list more~

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Ami: yeah, there are several, all are my good friends. another difference I wanna share is, 打嘴炮儿 means to brag in Taiwan, while in China, obvious it means kinda different, right? :D

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.