Discussion » Current Events » Wan9 Fu Jin going nuts?

• 阿姆
    阿姆 wrote:
    <p>Is this shit for real, or BBC is exaggerating again? What i heard from friends is that Libiyan students gathered near Tiananmen to protest against whats happening in Libiya.</p> <p>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12593328</p>
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    uh-oh! blocked!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

I'm sure this is exaggerated. The western media likes trying to upset the harmonious Chinese government. In China everyone should learn to respect and obey the laws, something something something.

And you should probably keep discussion of this type of thing off the internet and your registered phones.

How many of you put your real email addresses on your customs forms and visa applications and school applications, and how many of you used those same email addresses when you registered for this forum?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Of course this shit is for real.  This is China man, welcome to reality.  It's the country we live in.  This is how it works here. 

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

I just checked Twitter and there's about 4,000,000 hits about this event already, including from many Beijing-based journos who were there and confirmed it. 

The US Ambassador has also made a statement complaining to the Chinese government about it.  Somehow I'm doubting that'll do much.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Hahaha, for the record I was just saying "4 million" as a random large number to express the point that the number was "something large".  I have no idea what the actual number is, but it's probably not 4 million.  All I know is It was enough to prove to me that everyone on Twitter who talks about political things in China was talking about this event. 

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

the other day,I was told by my friend that there was a protest going on in BJ while ago,is it about this?

i also believe the possibility of this kind of thing in China.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

Lol, I was there by 2:00 PM when i heard about this incident and there was not even one person "protesting".  What ever it was, they certainley weren't very dedicated....

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

I always use my real phone number and information. Its not like I have anything to hide (and its not like china doesn't have ways to find me anyways)

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

exactly,so it was not true maybe just a crowd of ppl

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

The article was not about protests.  It was about a horde of security thugs beating the crap out of a team of BBC reporters and various other international media right in the middle of WFJ on Sunday afternoon.

Remind me not to hang out in that area on a Sunday afternoon any time for the next two months.  They might assume any white person is a possible journalist and try to break my arm.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

If this fucks my chances of getting a visa back into the country, I'm going to shit, scream, and die.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

First off, it certainley didn't happen on sunday (unless there was a second occurrence) it was TWO sundays ago, secondly, there was absolutely no one there and hardly even an increased police presence.

• Shane
    Shane wrote:

After all, BBC has to find something to complain about to keep the brits minds off their failing economy.   One of my favorite events back home was the night-time BBC broadcasts on NPR covering Iraq. The united states would calmly report 4 deaths, then when the BBC commentator came on it made it seem like shock and awe was happening again as he spoke. I don't trust either source one bit, i usually take the two reports and figure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Shane, it was a second occurance, except that obviously it didn't happen. And the video I have from two Sundays ago shows differently. I'm sure it was all fabricated by seperatist Muslims, in collusion with the D L Clique and the western media though.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    How much can you ever trust any report on this kind of thing? There is no non-biased reporting on anything, especially on anything about China. Seeing is believing as it were. I'd trust my own eye witness account, or that of someone I know personally, and not a whole lot else.
  • Fabian Kollen
    Fabian Kollen wrote:
    Have u heard the Jasmine tea recently?
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    If by that you mean the "strolls" that seem to have been arranged by people outside of China that ended up being almost entirely foreign journalists... yes I have heard of it.
  • Simen Wangberg

From what I heard from a pal at AFP, it sounds like the methods being used the Chinese police aren't really being exaggerated that much in the media. A guy from Bloomberg really did get his ass kicked by the cops and ended up in a hospital two days ago.

This second round of "protests" was definitely taken more seriously by the PRC, even if no protestors actually showed up. The BBC report is a bit breathless, but the CNN write-up is a little more solid: http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/28/getting-harassed-by-the-chinese-police/?hpt=C2

Whether the protests are "real" or not - and whether the protestors showed up or not - isn't my biggest qualm with the whole thing. It might just be a bunch of hot air, but the unnecessary roughness directed at the journalists trying to cover it is inexcusable.

Here's another goodie that hasn't been published, to my knowledge: AFP recently sent a small crew to check out what's going on with Chen Guangcheng, the blind activist guy that exposed forced abortions in rural areas of China.

When their crew got within a few kilometers of the village where he is locked down, a bunch of local gov't goons showed up, surrounded their vehicle and beat on it with their fists until they left. Then they followed the AFP team for about 30 kilometers back until they were satisfied that they wouldn't try to come back.

Chen Guangcheng and the rest of his village have been on lockdown since last September. He's under (unlawful) house arrest, and they shine spotlights in his windows to harass him and his family. He did manage to smuggle out a video where he and his wife try to demonstrate the conditions they're living in - they got beaten for their trouble.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I honestly have no idea why the fuck anyone would want to be a reporter or activist in China.

• Simen Wangberg

"I honestly have no idea why the fuck anyone would want to be a reporter or activist in China."

Activist - yeah, do not want. Journalist - China and India have rapidly expanding media industries, it's getting really tough to find even mediocre jobs in the field elsewhere. That's part of the reason why I came here, actually.

But I work exclusively for state-owned operations, no Jasmine Revolutions for me. Today's hot topic: the recently unveiled statue of Confucius in front of the National Museum in Beijing.

The headline? "Debate Over Confucius Statue Erection".

:-/

table.cnt,tr.cnt,td.cnt,tbody.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,p.pyl {border:0 none;border-top:0;border-right:0;border-bottom:0;border-left:0;padding:0px; margin:0px;font-family:Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:16px; font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;line-height:normal;}table.cnt,td.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,sup.pyl,a.pyl,p.pyl {color:black;background:#F9F9F9;text-decoration: none;}a.pyl:hover{text-decoration: underline;}table.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl {width:auto;}pre.pyl,div.pyl {overflow:visible;}div.pyl {position: relative; float: left; padding-left: 3px; padding-right: 3px; height: 55px;}
    bówùguǎn
    博物馆
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

"Debate Over Confucius Statue Erection".

Nice. So what's the debate? Am I the only one who thinks that Confucious is the only person who has single handedly done more to the detriment of China than Maoer?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    Nah, I'll agree with you there. Confucian thought makes for a pretty stagnant society. I think a lot of the stuff he said that wasn't about society and morality was actually really good though. Naming of parts etc.
  • Simen Wangberg

Well, there are several quotes in the story, and even a survey conducted by people.com.cn, which state that a lot of people are opposed to the statue.

But there isn't much actual talk about why they're opposed - they just are.One quote went something like "a group of thinkers would be better than just Confucius, because Confucius doesn't satisfy the public's demands for dynamic thinking." Or something.Typical vagueness from a Chinese academic. Could be lost in translation too, of course.

I have a suspicion that some of the more educated Chinese are opposed to the statue because they don't entirely agree with his teachings, either. But of course they're never going to say that - and even if they did, I'm not entirely sure if we could print it.

Anyway, I'm doing an audio voiceover for the story later - I can post it here at some point if anyone wants to hear my golden voice.

• Simen Wangberg

Oh, here you go: a commenter on 163.com says "There is also a lot of feudal dross in Confucianism and this is what we should try to remove". Figure that one out.

Basically, it looks like the complaints aren't necessarily directed at Confucius or Confucianism, but at the location. It's right next to Tian'anmen Square. A lot of it is just splitting hairs too - one guy points out that the National Museum isn't dedicated solely to Confucian history/culture, and that something more broadly appealing should be chosen.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

北京人 have nuts. For this reason there are not many in the high level of comunist party, they do not have the proper political character. 

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

i watched german news, they present it so so so dramatic, that it was almost funny ... then in the video you see them only forign TV teams and police, not a protester at all ...

Media sometimes just like to create their own news, i still love the movie 'wag the dog' everyone should have seen this one ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.