Discussion » Nonsense » USA update

• Tuco
    Tuco wrote:

If you are considering moving to the usa. well please don't. you will have a hard time here. this country is PHUCKEDUP!!

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

uh there is probably going to be a civil war here.

• Simen Wangberg

"or the winds of revolution that has rocked the Maghreb has arrived there?"

More like the winds of "everyone is fucking poor and jobless".

But there won't be any kind of revolution in the States. People there are too dumb and fat to do anything meaningful. No I dunno. If there is one, it'll be the wrong people doing it for horrible reasons.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

but armed, unemployed, pooor and pissed off people start printing their own community monies more and more now. dis-unioned.

i hope there is a civil war. bring this country back to where it needs to be.

phucked up

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

afro has a point. and i 100% agree with him. but americans are not that stupid.

as we can see with technologies they are produced in the past 50 years. however, all that great shit doesn't change a thing.

the usa is not a place to go in immigration wishes.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Prophyria, please don't listen to this nonsense. For example, there is a upcoming bill and its primary propose is to reduce financial aid for native citizens. Prophyria, the rest of the money is allocated to qualifying student immigrants.......think about it.

HardworkWorkhard

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

Well, I just went back for a VERY enjoyable month and can confirm that it is still paradise.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Well, people still have in mind the US before 9/11. Things have gone fom bad to worse. The recession seems to be too bad as thought. Those outside can't understand what's going on in that land of prospects till they see it with their own eyes.

The way republicans have distroyed the economy, it'snot in 8 years that the US will recover, no one reallys knows what's gonna happen. The US might be just like Europe in the near future.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

USA is a great place to get a masters if you have an unlimited amount of money. For education overall though, One would be better off in a British school.

There will only be rebelions when things get bad enough that it's worth while for the people to take risks. That's not the state of the U.S.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

uh what about the people in america? do you realize how they feel about foreign people coming in for education and work?

some don't like it.

regardless of how you feel. I met with 100's of students and so many groups of my old friends.

the recent grads talk about higher competition for simpler jobs and high end positions are super hard to come by. company's ask for more requirements as well.

most of the people i spoke to talked much about being underemployed or had not made it easily.

many people i talked with spoke of their houses being taken or about to or were threatened at one point because of recession.

regardless i say this country is phucked.

california? yea nice place.

SF and marin county are lovely, however eventually California will be swimming in the ocean.

if you live in Iowa and are a republican you probably will benefit from good ol' Bush crew. however, as godfather said, they destroyed the economy.

i have not seen any improvements for the last 10 years.

grade: C+ because the environment is good comparatively.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

i also heard there was an upcoming bill that will allow americans to slap politicians when they phuck up.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

the best news i heard were more trades going on with the midwest and china. Up 800% in the past 2 years.

Anyone wanna John Deere or some custom made furniture that will knock you out of your seat?

also some chinese men bought 4000 custom RV's from an LA firm which put 1000 people to work for 3 years.

zhong guo bu cuo!!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ....

Prophyria (aka Effy, YJ or JY? etc) ... Sydney will miss you, heehee ...

Just a general observation ... like any other "great" (this depends on your definition) countries, USA has some nice homey places/areas, but also certain ugliness that no one likes, and I think that's what this thread is all about, or maybe not?

Everyone has their version of paradise or utopia, and also their ideal of happiness, and from the friends and relatives that I have, I would say that USA (based on states, not the whole country) is not for everyone, and so is Australia and Canada etc, even China ... e.g. if Obama might have been born or grew up in a different state, or had chosen a different career path, he might not be the number one man of USA now ... off-topic again? heehee ...

If my memory had served me right, Mike had been telling us about all the ugliness of USA for quite a while now? I guess that's fine (and fair), as a lot of people had been talking about the ugliness of China, even France or Russia at some points ...

Mike ... I hate to bring this to you, but regardless of what you said, there will be some fools (heehee, in China?) who think USA is the best country in the world, and would do ANYTHING (including, sadly, by marriage) to go there, and whether they can contribute to the country or make it worse, that's uncertain ... on the other hand, if it would make you feel a little better, I would never live in USA, and that's not because of what you had said ... however, I still hope to visit my friends who had lived very happily in CA and AL for 20+ years ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I suppose the your view of the US would vary to some extent depending on whether you're an oil baron, an accountant, or an uneducated stoner.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ami ... of those 740 thou, how many came from mainland China? More so, how many of those had never been overseas before? And where did they settle? Even for such a number, it is too generalised ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

Ami

thanks for the props. yea, well i think that out of that large number , 740000 people who went to the states. I have to think that most of them had no idea of the problems that really exists.

I have seen both worlds, china and america, long enough to know that

1. the usa has no work

2. housing in china is a crime(legos for millions of rmb)

3. we all are not afraid to share our opinions.

all the chinese i know that came here, only could come because of work or school.

but if you were an american citizen and seen how immigration has hurt the USA , not in all ways, but job wise, it has and not to put anything against people wanting jobs.

but as a boss i'd rather pay someone less money for the same work. and so the american loses his job. this has been going on for over 30 years now.

if america can bounce back, and i think it will, the country will regain some of its lost feelings for me.

Ami lives in SF. what a hip place. Hippie hill, smoking up and kicking the bag around, biking up in marin, fishing at point reyes, trying to get a look at metallica too once in awhile if ya wanna go up to Tiburon. James' house is the big one with big windows on the highest hill. but dont knock on the door. his guards will chase ya away. ive tried it.

anyway, one thing i will say about my homeland is. that is what it is.

Sure i dont like chicago much, the food is great, sports and culture are huge but i hate snow. I don't like 80cm snow storms.  call me crazy . i dunno

but i would much rather buy a house here in my hometown because at least I know it will remain in my family. oh as long as i dont have a foreclosure.

personally,i will never buy a lego made house in china. for that price i think i can get two or three houses where my mom lives with big enough lots to build a small farm.

cheers

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ami, Americans actually have to pay taxes on our world income, no matter where we live, so I had to support evil things even when I was living in China. :-( This Mike does too, unless he's prepared to give up his American citizenship. If he is, I'm sure he could find a Turk in Xinjiang who will pay a pretty penny to assume Mike's identity.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

yea i would. hopefully i can get a few camels out of it too.

• Simen Wangberg

"Americans actually have to pay taxes on our world income, no matter where we live, so I had to support evil things even when I was living in China."

Time to derail thread. Tax season is coming up - how/where do you get your taxes done whilst in China? Do you just do 'em online like everyone else in the States, or is there some kinda special bullshit you have to deal with after working & earning a salary over here? I kinda sorta didn't do mine last year...oops.

I got some tax paperwork from my employer last year but
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... one thing, then, that Australia beats Team USA, is that we dont have to pay Aussie tax as long as we dont make money out of the country ...

Mike (number two, or one?) ... my guess is that there are USA tax accountants/consultants online, right? That's what we do with ours ... all correspondence are done via email, plus maybe one of two phone calls ...

• Simen Wangberg

"my guess is that there are USA tax accountants/consultants online, right?"

Yeah, that's the thing though. I don't want to pay some chump to do something I can do myself. If I was living and working in the States, I could just do it all online on my own, but living and working here...I'm not real sure.

I'm guessing there are some kind of special forms or treatment if you're earning a salary under a Chinese employer, or maybe it doesn't matter? I do recall getting some tax paperwork from my employer last year but...yeah, I just kind of forgot about it.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... that's what I thought too, but that's before I started buying shares, and then my own home, who had not become an investment property by definition because we are not in Sydney ... also, the benefit of using a tax accountant is that we dont need to get it done within the required period (from July till October) ...

• Simen Wangberg

Oh righto. So you're saying that you use an accountant cos you have extra, more complicated financial factors at play (investments, property)? Cos I don't have any of that junk - I just work here.

Although I would like to look into investing next year - you do yours through an online broker of some variety? Have to save up a good chunk of capital before I even think about that though, I don't even really know what the minimum amount should be.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ...

Ans:yes ...

I did my own tax for the first few years after migrating to Sydney, and a few more after started buying shares, but as soon as there was dividend, and buy/sell, the taxable profit calculation got too messy for me ...

I had always traded shares via brokers, including Oz and USA ones, and I dont know if there might be another way ... however, if I understand correctly, you can trade shares in small quantity in USA, down to "one", right? If so, start doing your homework, and "collect" them a little at a time, when the price is good ... dont wait until you have a big chunk of cash ... that's from experience :) 

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

uhmmmmmmmmm why ya'll care about uncle scam?

my opinion, don't bother if you are making less than 20-30k US a year here.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

B
    O
    H
    I
    C
    A

• Simen Wangberg

Dude, can't you just change your name? Seriously this is getting way confusing. I was here first, etc.

Anyway. I don't know who you were addressing that to Ami, but it sounds like I don't need to worry about my taxes either, since I don't make enough for it to matter. Are you sure that's correct though? I do pay Chinese income tax, but not American.

@叮当叔叔: Yeah, I think there might be some brokers that let you start investing in small amounts. I'll look into it.

• Xiaodian
    Xiaodian wrote:

wow  ! phuckedup !

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... with both Mike's holding guitars, my suggestion is one plays the bass and the other plays whatever (I dont know enough about music) ... so, call yourselves "Mike Bass" and "Mike Electric" for example ... heehee ...

• Simen Wangberg

Fixed. Dammit. Oh well, at least now I'm more formal or whatever.

• Simen Wangberg

Hahaha. It's not that I don't believe you, I was just wondering. I was under the impression that if you were making any money, anywhere, you still had to file your US taxes every year. But clearly you know more about it than me. Still have a bit of research to do myself, thanks for the info so far.

• Simen Wangberg

O rly? Aight then. No worries. Thanks for the tips!

• Simen Wangberg

No no no, not talking about wives or American visas or anything. Just trying to figure out what I should do for tax season this year.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I typically just use turbotax and do my taxes online. Some of you with really low incomes might find you're better off not taking the foreign earned income exclusion, because then you can be eligible for the earned income credit, and get a tax rebate instead of just paying no taxes. I have heard that there is no penalty for not filing on time if you don't owe any taxes, but I don't see any reason not to file on time.

THIS IS NOT TAX ADVICE. TALK TO AN ACCOUNTANT AND A LAWYER, AND DO NOT LISTEN TO ME.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Mike, I really don't care that you show a blatant disregard for politics, it only demonstrates your accuracy. You are not afraid to share your opinions because you have not met the unfortunate and oppressed people of China so that is all.

@ Afroman: That was me and I was hungry... I hope you understand that as you departed I could not help but notice you were the only guy whom left Mcdonalds with spicy chicken wings.

@ Uncle , don't believe the hype if you can say that you can lazily progress day 2 day as an "Aussie" then I salute you. If she works hard and has the skills that are beneficial toward her selected career,she should be fine. I wish the best for both of you.

Purple Squirrel anyone?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Virgil W ... it must have been a while since we last chatted? How have you been? And what did you mean by "don't believe the hype if you can say that you can lazily progress day 2 day ..." ...

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Uncle, I only meant that you seem like a dedicated person. I know that you have to do your job and with your open mind you are probably appreciated for your efforts.Long story short, you seem like you worked towards being articulate and whatever else that was required  to excel in your country. So, most of the "Hype" comes from people who are unwilling to change when it comes to a few extra skills.

BTW I've been good but, its so windy here I can't grill anything :(  I hope you have been cooking up some of that especial BBQ that we spoke of .

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ...Virgil W ... I think I know what you mean ... the interesting conflict is that as much as we dont like changes, in most likelihood, we dont accept changes, we are changing ...

By the way, been a bit lazy and had not done much of ribs, plus I am nearly out of the dried garlic that I use for marinate, will need to get some from HK soon ...

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Uncle thats a resonable way of seeing things... What about this dried garlic.. I'll trade hehe.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I have often found that things like dried garlic and fried chopped onion are the best for marinate, but I have not found them in BJ ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.