Discussion » Beijing Life » It's a fog day in Beijing

• Stanley
    Stanley wrote:
    <p>hmmm, I hate today's fog, I like bright sunshine...........</p>
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

lucky me, my curtain is keeping down for whole day... 

But still not in that a mood coz today is Sunday... 

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

The best way to solve the problem of Beijing’s poisonous air is to spend money on censoring anyone who talks about it.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

I wish BJ would be surrounded by sea...

I miss New Zealand.... mission Bay... fishing...

I'm getting blue....

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it's a fogging good day ... as I was "given" the afternoon off and I spent it shopping with a very beautiful girl today :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Tobias ... talking to me? Actually, we meet together at H&M, then grabbed something to eat at BBL on level 6 ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) and it was much less than one meter ... hahaha ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Tobias, isn't it usually beyond the WHO index? Did it also go beyond the Chinese index that allows air to be 10 times worse and still be "blue sky"?

Pomegranate, once again, you have an excellent point.

• Fabian Kollen
    Fabian Kollen wrote:
    heavy fog......
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

This is one of the factors that convinced me to leave Beijing.

"Particle pollution is an important measurement when assessing air quality. The World Health Organization uses PM 10 and PM 2.5 standards to measure air quality. PM 10 represents coarse particles or those over 10 microns. The PM 2.5 standard is more accurate in that it also measures some of the fine dust particles. IQAir’s particle scan pro machine measures particulates as little as .3 microns!

A study done at the Saint Blalius institute in San Lugano Switzerland; has demonstrated how to convert the particle scan pro readings into standard PM 10 readings.

The conversion chart is as Follows:

300,000 particles per cubic liter on the particle scan pro machine = 100 micro grams per cubic meter using the PM 10 scale.

0-150,000 scanner readings = 50ug/m3 Healthy air
    151k-300k scanner readings = 51-100ug/m3 Unhealthy for sensitive groups
    301k-450k scanner readings= 101-150ug/m3 Moderately polluted (limit outside exposure)
    451k-600k scanner readings= 151-200ug/m3 Unhealthy for all groups
    601k-900k scanner readings= 201-300ug/m3 Heavily polluted (limit outside exposure 2hrs if possible)
    901k+ scanner readings= 301ug/m3+!!! Severely polluted stay indoors!( 10min or more exposure could lead to permanent respiratory damage!)"

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

oh well...It's gray, but I don't face the window at office.. so... I pretending it is sunny day

• H.T.Teng
    H.T.Teng wrote:

It's not only Beijing, but also Taijin. The sky was foggy.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

stop whinging.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... another fogging good day yesterday ...

Stephanie ... I heard about the earthquake, but I dont have anyone to ask over there, have you heard from any of your friends and school pals? What's the damages?

莫明 ... hahahaha ... as I had always said, for one to justify why he/she make a certain choice, it really only needs one reason, whereas, for one to explain why not making that choice, there can be million and million of reasons ... I have my million of reasons to leave Beijing, but (unfortunately!) one reason to stay ...

• Simen Wangberg

Right, so the air is full of particulates, AQI/WHO indexes or whatever are almost always maxed out here...BUT

is it really that bad for you? I mean, is there any conclusive evidence or proof that actually makes it a serious health problem? I see articles in TBJ/City Weekend every once in awhile, and the conclusion always seems to be "buy a humidifier, stay out of heavy traffic if you can help it, and stop worrying so much".

What's the vig?

• Simen Wangberg

And also, yeah, about this "fog" you guys are going on and on about...

FOG is what happens when water vapor condenses in the air. It's not bad for you, as it's just, well, water. It does obscure your vision, but beyond that, it's harmless.

SMOG is a term for heavy air pollution. It's baaaaaaad, mkay?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... I cannot help but wonder, would inhaling tobacco smokes be an healthier choice?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.