Discussion » Music » Guqin (music) talk on Friday 元宵节古琴雅集

• pommie
    pommie wrote:
    <p>Anyone going to the guqin talk tomorrow near Guloudong Dajie? 谁要参加?:O</p> <p>http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/aroundtown/feature/11331/guqin-discussion-group-february-18.html</p> <p>The guqin &ndash; a type of zither &ndash; is an ancient musical instrument with a history stretching back into the mists of China&rsquo;s dynastic past.</p> <p>http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/aroundtown/feature/11317/the-ancient-chinese-guqin.html</p>
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I'm at work then :( Really annoying because I've been trying to find out where I can get Guqin tuition for ages.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Do you need a teacher who speaks English or Mandarin only is ok?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Mandarin is ok, probably better. I need to save up to buy a new guqin first though!

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

How much were you thinking of spending? Generally speaking, a playable qin is 3,000 - 10,000, though some of 王鹏's are going for like ... a million RMB.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

As cheap as possibe probably. No point in buying a good one till I can actually play.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

I've got a pretty good one from a maker in Yangzhou you can have a look at if you want - yours for 3,500RMB if you mention WLIB.

Or wait a bit because I'm checking out another maker that's more central this weekend for a comparison - I had to travel bloody miles to get that last one! Subway, bus, black taxi, walk.

Trouble is, most shops in central Beijing these days charge an arm and leg for stuff like that. You can go to the shops in Xinjiekou but either the qins aren't of playable quality - they're ok to stick on the wall but not to play - or they want like... 8,000 RMB for a basic model.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's going to be like 2 months before I have enough spare cash to think about it to be honest. Just got here, have to pay rent in a three month block etc etc. Do you know where I can get tuition though? To make things worse I need someone who can either do late evenings or mondays/tuesdays.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Check out the article I linked for a teacher.

If you tell me where you live I can ask around if there's a teacher nearby.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I'm moving into an apartment in Deng Shi Kou pretty soon

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.