Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » it's my assignment and it's kind of urgent

• Pansa Ma
    Pansa Ma wrote:
    <p>there r only 5 days left in my winter holiday and i have to accomplish my research which titled "Chinese in foreigners' eyes"</p> <p>Is there anybody would like to talk with this topic?</p> <p>just gimmi some views, kind of stuff.</p> <p>it's a quite wide range i think, as you can talk something about Chinese lifestyle, culture things or the weird/interesing things bla bla...</p> <p>the more, the better. and in English.</p> <p>thx all.</p>
  • 小小
    小小 wrote:
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

There was actually a thread here where someone already did this, but I can't find it.

Change your topic. It is an impossible generalization. If you exchange "foreigner" with one extremely homogenous nation (try Korean), you might be able to make a generalization, but there is nothing you can write on the current topic that wouldn't be stupid.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ah, the gentle bigotry of low expectations.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

My bad, I thought a kid who was going to be bothered to actually attempt some research for her paper, instead of copying it directly from the internet or another student, might actually be interested in writing something that isn't crap.

• Pansa Ma
    Pansa Ma wrote:

@莫明

actually our teacher asked us to find an English psg which focused on this topic then translate it to Chinese with our understanding.

So im not trying to copy things, im just wanna catch some thoughts.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060623203206AAqTqLF

Here you go. You may be startled to find that different people have different opinions. But some of those opinions you won't be allowed to express, so maybe you can take a coherent view from this.

Unfortunately, there are no credible sources to be found writing about "how people view China."

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

This seems like a perfectly legitimate topic for a thesis....

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It's an okay topic, but it's a terrible title/thesis statement. It's way too broad.

Either pick a specific nationality/ethnicity like Minger suggested, or pick a specific aspect of Chinese culture or important event in recent history.

How about foreign reactions to the Beijing Olympics? You could do a content analysis of foreign media. I remember some stories about the decision to replace the little girl who sang the Chinese national anthem with a prettier little girl because the original singer's teeth were crooked; the surrogate just lip-synched the words. Other news accounts criticized the use of computer graphics for the opening ceremony fireworks.

China is often criticized as being "fake" for being or too concerned with face and appearance. It's not a harmonious topic, but it's an authentic one.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I think it is potentially a fascinating area. I think it stands to reason that when your tutor gives you a broad theme like that, you narrow things down and create a thesis statement that works for you.

For me a key point would be whether you were considering foreigners who live in China or those who live outside. The difference in the two perceptions would be immense and if that distinction were not made the assignment could lose focus.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.