Discussion » Health & Fitness » Why is everyone in China so unhealthy?

• Erik
    Erik wrote:
    <p>I mean seriously.<br /><br />Just look at this fitness discussion board.<br />Condoms, taichi, and don't marry foreigners? Really?<br /><br />What a lazy place #_#<br /><br />Does anyone here actually exercise?<br />If so, please share something about that.</p> <p>Thanks!</p> <p>-E&nbsp;</p>
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

this message board does not represent China. Yes, some people in China exercise. Go to a gym or a school track and you will find them.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

it is very interesting to learn about Chinese ppl on a foreigner community website. Go to douban.com to see how unhealthy Chinese are

• Simen Wangberg

What,  you don't see old people walking backwards and clapping all the time? That's exercise, dude.

• Saint - Spartacus

you know erik, you shock me more than Jake and Dinos Chapman, coz in a '' unhealthy" place as you mentioned, you still can deal with a collection of over 100 " FRIENDS" ... that's sth enomrous

• Joakim Berg Solum

Back on the exercise track again. Where the hell do you guys find the motivation to keep it up? I keep on going on again, off again.

• Kent Bekkavik
    Kent Bekkavik wrote:

It's the mentality.

• Simen Wangberg

From people I've talked to that have actually maintained a regular work-out routine, having a work-out partner/group sounds pretty effective, if only because you feel more obligated to show up and do the damn thing. Bonus points if you have a significant other to join you - get sweaty, then get...more sweaty. WINK WINK NUDGE

• Person
    Person wrote:

i do yoga

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

An hour of banging a day keeps the need for exercise away.

If you are lifting or running, you need an exercise partner to keep pace with.

If you are boxing or wrestling, you will have the motivation to exercise because you won't like getting your head smashed.

• Simen Wangberg

"Does sex count exercise? I mean I think everyone here is always thinking about that"

See 莫明's post. It sure as hell does count, if you're doinitrite.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Harmonious, shall we "work out" some time?

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

ugh~ are we talking about sex again ? on this tread? 

ok.. I love you guys..

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Harmonious, how does your boyfriend deal with that?

Girls who don't like exercise are no fun.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

shit... I miss spelt thread to tread... 

you guys are tolerant.. 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Hmm.. if my gf didn't like to exercise with me, I would prefer for her to exercise with someone from the internet. That way I can go find other girls to work out with ^.^

• Yuki
    Yuki wrote:

@ Erik, I suggested you go to back to US when you see people are so unhealthy in china both chinese and foreigners. they eat dirty oil for cooking, no exercise, go to sanlitunr every weekend and get drunk, grab a girl to have sex. if you really wanna eat healthy food, excise with the people who cares about excise cares about health,  if you wanna breath clean air every morning when you get up. then i suggest you go to anywhere else except China.

• Min Liu
    Min Liu wrote:

why you would like to seek sports info on wlib? if you really look for those info...better find a gym or a park..afterall..facing internet too many hours is not something healthy to do..hahah

• G
    G wrote:

I was used to go to gym a lot...But since workload is picking up, I have to reduce the time for exercises...

To some extent, I agree with Eric...Compared to many western countries, Chinese don't exercise much...It's because

- working and living pressure in China due to competition.

- interests and life style of most Chinese. 

But things are getting better. You see more and more Chinese go to gym. It's much more difficult to book a tennis court or football playground. Perhaps when people understand what happiness is, when China's economy is growing to a certain level, when the value system is changing from money to life itself, we'll see significant change. 

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

I'm going to the gym for about an hour 3-4 times a week lifting weights, running and bicycling. I spend like 10-12 hours on my ass in front of the computer every day working, so I need to do _something_ to keep myself from falling apart :-) Besides, it's only 800 rmb for 6 months, and a little exercise give you more energy, it makes you sleep better at night, and keep you from getting fat...

• Simen Wangberg

What about getting a decent workout at home? Not that the gyms here are particularly expensive, but I'm not much for going out or doing much of anything - I'm a homebody. But I want to be a healthy homebody.

I just recently started doing about an hour every other day, just doing basic stuff at home - hitting the stairs, calisthenics, looking to do some weights as well. Basically just trying to get the cardio going, my family has a history of heart problems and shit and I decided it might be time to do something about that.

I just wonder if it's really worth it to trek to the gym when I can accomplish most of what I want to do exercise-wise without leaving my apartment building. I think I've already answered my own question though.

For all y'all worried about your oil intake and whatnot - cook at home, son! We've been doing more of that lately and it's hella rad. We use way less oil and try to get leaner cuts of meat and whatnot, and it's pretty great. Plus it's way cheaper than eating out. Now if we could just get hot water in the kitchen sink...boiling water for doing dishes fucking blows.

• Simen Wangberg

"It's all about the balance."

This also. I'm not above tilting a few back with my friends every once in awhile, just gotta temper it with some good stuff. It's been harder lately cos my ladyfriend brought back all these fancy-type cigarettes/白酒 from her hometown...effff.

• Simen Wangberg

"Home is fine, gym is fine, even parks are fine (as long as you're not wearing short shorts)."

This actually. I gotta get some real workout duds. The neighbors look at me funny when I come wobbling out of the staircase in my G-string, falling over and gasping for air.

• Simen Wangberg

I'm pretty sure our neighbor beats his wife (or possibly vice versa), so some guy running around in his underwear isn't really a big deal, I suppose. Plus we have a midget couple in our building, they drive around on their little two-seat midget bike and it's so cute.

• Lise Eilertsen

God!! you think taichi is lazy?!So jogging is more excited?

man,get up U lazy ass..hahahha..

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

oh shit. I thought all those subway stairs were designed for that purpose.

actually, bike riding for me is about the only form of exercise I enjoy

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... boring as it might seem, even 30 years ago, exercise was not "too" necessary in China, because there were not too many vehicles on the road, perhaps not many cities have subways, public transport was not convenient, so most people either biked or walked ...

Such ... is the cost of progress ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

having a car in beijing is about as useful as having honor

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Erik, I have to accept your observations but it is important to point out we Chinese are not naturally born "lazy". I guess it is a complex resulted from physical and spiritual constraints for most people.

When I was a kid, I loved going out to the greens, collecting plants and insects samples, swimming and playing badminton with my pals, etc. But it had to stop when I was overloaded with academic pursuits. The school even successfully turned the PE lessons into pure tests without entertainment.  The so-called military training is just another "mind torture", most students wouldn't learn how to use a gun properly but simple obedience. 

Most young people around me have the same experiences, those who intend to enter first-tier colleges have to sacrifice leisure activities (for 3 years, we arrived at school at 7am and went home at 10:30pm with 3 free days per year). Year after year, I got used to being in-doorsy and pale. 

Maybe hard for people from foreign cultures to understand, we Chinese are extremely occupied by seeking security and counting coppers, with much worries for one's medical funds, pension and other unfair eventualities in mind, it is very hard to completely free oneself physically and enjoy. 

I just start cycling again since the weather is sunny and pleasant. Sadly, almost all the roads are piled with cars and I am not sure if I could cycle safely without wearing a proper gas mask and a helmet. 

P.S. I personally think the current fitness club marketing is a capitalist plot. :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.