Discussion » Nonsense » 美國愛國主義 American Nationalism

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    <p>我決不是愛國主義者,但是今天瘋狂的親戚又把這些發過來了,我還是覺得有意思&hellip;&hellip;<br />I'm deffinitely not nationalist, but my crazy relative sent me these today, and I still think they're funny. Obviously it's not hard to poke holes in them if you try, but that's not the point. The point is that we should all make fun of French people.</p> <div> <div> <div> <div> <p><span style="color: #990000; font-size: medium;">When in England , at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.<br /> <br />He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United&nbsp;States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders.&nbsp;The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.'</span></p> </div> </div> </div> </div> <div> <p><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: navy;">There was a conference in France where a number of&nbsp;international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest&nbsp;dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft&nbsp;carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What &nbsp;does he intended to do, bomb them?'</span></span></p> </div> <div> <p><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: maroon;"><br /></span><span style="color: navy;">A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our&nbsp;carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply&nbsp;<br /> emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they&nbsp;have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000&nbsp;people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in<br /> transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does&nbsp; France have?'<br /><br /></span><span style="color: #990000;">A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference&nbsp;that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian,&nbsp;Australian and French Navies.. At a cocktail reception,&nbsp;he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.</span></span></p> </div> <div> <p><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: #990000;"><br /></span><span style="color: #990000;">Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped&nbsp;their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking<br /> French?&#
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied  'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans 
    arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in  Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.

'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

'Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.'

The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it.

'Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France !'

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, 'Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to.'

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly:"

"The American ... quietly explained"

Fake.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Hahaha, c'mon man, I told you it's full of holes... is that the best you could come up with? How about, "The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." You're not going to pick that one apart?

Now, dig deep to your pomegranite roots and support me in mocking the French.

Q: How do you identify a French soldier?

A: He's waiving a white flag.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

true though, i've never met a quiet american! :p

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I'm a quiet half-American. I'm only loud when I'm hiding behind my computer screen.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

I love this one, this guy seems to be a wise man.

@ Momning,

I'm a quiet half-American.

Either one is an American or He is 100% american

It's a new land in the world that brings together people from differents ethinics and offering each one who becomes so all the privileges can have. No hokou there:)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Sorry guys, I'm out of material.

Desmond, that quote sounds good, but neglects to mention all the oil and economic favors Americans have asked for in return.

Ami, why the crazy guy?

Yes Sir, sorry, I like Acon, but I don't want to hear him every time I open this thread.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Chinese nationalists are fucking infuriating. American nationalists are just stupid.

But China is on its way up, and American is on its way down. By the time they meet in the middle, the world will be too polluted to live in, but I guess it makes present day Chinese nationalists more rational than Americans.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Harmonious dear, China is on its way up. That's not to say it's already up. It's near the very bottom, but it sure is not near the top. Things change fast though.

What did you do to cure your brainwashing?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

See what I mean Harmonious? American nationalists are just stupid... it's no where near as annoying as hearing 56個民族,和諧社會,越來越好什麽的……

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I wasn't going to post in this thread until some Real Americans showed up.

Thank you, Erik, for reminding us that freedumb isn't free.

• Simen Stensvoll
  • Simen Wangberg

"It's not the money in the bank that makes America, but the culture of its people. "

It most certainly isn't the money in the bank, since it seems there's less of that to go around in the States anymore. The culture of its people, huh? And you're talking about...what, Jersey Shore? ThighMaster? Bill O'Reilly?

And I say that as someone who shakes his head every time I hear someone start in with the old "Well you know, China has thousands of years of history" BS.

Although actually, I think America's greatest cultural gift is trash culture. There's not really anything wrong with that, it's just a sign of the times. Mad civilized up in here.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Mike, China does have 5000 years of history. Don't knock it. Of course, USA has 15000 years of history by the same standard...

• Simen Wangberg

It's mostly just when I hear it used as a justification/explanation for something that clearly has nothing to do with China's history. I can't think of any good examples though, it's been awhile since someone pulled that line on me.

Or when it's used to add prestige or value or whatever - I don't know, I'm just not super-impressed by how "old" something is. And yeah, if you wanna split hairs about it...we all go back a ways.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.