Discussion » Current Events » What's going on in Arab spere?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:
    <p>As someone told Bill Clinton; "If you become a US president, make sure to stand by Israel. God promised them that land and you shall make sure to be by their side, God's side"</p> <p>This sums up the American belief;&nbsp; and Egypt have been one of the countrties in Arab league was that cooperating with the US to protect the Hebrew state.</p> <p>As most Arab countries seem to be the countries where the people are supressed and there's no freedom if expression...Are muslims like brotherhood taking over?</p> <p>Is thiswave going go lead to the end of Israel state in the world map?</p> <p>I'm just wondering</p> <p>High Priest</p>
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

I surely hope that the US protection of Israel has less to do with nonsensical religious ideas, and more to do with the fact Israel's relatively low ranking on the "fucked-up-ness" scale for states in the region.

If the brotherhood wants to take control of some dictatorships, well... good for them. As far as I can tell from my barely litterate attempts to read the Wikipedia article on the subject, they don't support bad things.

I do however remain wary of any form of governance based in religion as opposed to logical sense. Those religious books may have been written with good intentions, but since it's so obviously easy to misinterpret them, and they're filled with hypocricy, I think Quran/Torah/Bible based leadership is extremely dangerous.

Desmond, I like that you wrote a thread that wasn't about sex, but I'm ambivalent as to how responding to it will affect my chances of getting laid.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Oh no, an Israel thread... there is only one place this can be going.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Desmond, I like that you wrote a thread that wasn't about sex, but I'm ambivalent as to how responding to it will affect my chances of getting laid.

莫明;

It''s just a way to somehow get to know a little about the situation and where it can lead. I guess that's why this forum is all about, I've learnt a lot of things on here...

By the way, how many chances of getting laid  have u got? I for sure guess u didn't miss Minimy as u have made public offers to her. I guess she is a generous girl

• Albulena Imeri

For the spirit of this web site, I am just going to give a shout-out to all the Muslim and Jewish hotties.

• Albulena Imeri

On a serious note, I think the relationship with Israel comes second to the daily life of millions of ordinary Egyptians. A regular Ashraf cares more about his own life, jobs, retirements, medical care and kids' education, just like any middle-class guy does, from Ohio to Oslo, Buenos Aires to Beijing,

@Dan: I am more optimistic about the democratization of Arab states, or even many of the autocratic countries. I am not saying Western-style democracy is perfect, in fact, it's far from being perfect. But rule of law, free-market economy, personal freedom and etc. Yeah, that's an easy sell. And eventually they are going to come to it.

• A豆腐
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

@Desmond,

"By the way, how many chances of getting laid  have u got? I for sure guess u didn't miss Minimy as u have made public offers to her. I guess she is a generous girl"

All the offers that I've made have public, but I'm kind of slutty so it's hard to remember. Minimy, Nickie, Jon Gu, Dando... There was a list of people I would force-marry at some point, but I lost track of it as people stopped coming by to say awesome thing. It suffices to say, however, that my chances of actually getting laid with anyone on this website are surely zero.

And look, I've ruined another thread!

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Oh, this should have been obvious, but since I'm in a place with access to real news, I never look at the party propoganda sites.

If you're bored, try searching for "Egypt" in Chinese on Xinhua (or any other Chinese news that isn't blocked in mainland). It's hilarious.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

fuck it, I just read this.

"The govt. issued an order to all media forbidding any translation of foreign media coverage and saying that any website that failed to delete reader comments about Egypt would be 'shut down by force."

bye bye thread.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

One effect of the censorship is that people don't know there is anything that could be done about it... Any kind of political riots will be highly censored, not just the ones in China. Actually, they do happen in China, but they never make the news, and no one is involved in one more than once.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

莫明I do think many countries that suppress discent, are worried of what is going on on arab world.

This wave erupted from nowhere... I can reach even beyond. I'm not amazed some government blocking site so that  their people don't rad and know about this...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

The places where things are changing didn't plan ahead to prevent those changes from happening. Certain other dictatorships do plan ahead, so I don't think they're too worried.

If you monitor all text messages, emails etc., and block social networking sites, it becomes very difficult for people to organize mass protests.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Moming, Lot of countries do so as we saw in Iran, but people still can get a news around and do something.

This wave in Arab worl started in Tuninia where the young educated guy, unemployed was selling stuff on the street when the police came and confiscated his goods and told hee broke the law it's not allowed to sell on the street. He told them he is doing this coz the State couldn't provide jobs and he needs to survive, he poured fuel on himself and set fire on. It's the genesis of this wave.

It was un predictable, people went on street, but I like the Presindem Ali, he understood quicky and run out of the country unlike Mubarak.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.