Discussion » Nonsense » How did you chose your Chinese/English name

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:
    <p>I actually didn't know that I need an official Chinese name, so when i had to register to the university they kinda forced me to chose one, so the first Chinese who i thought of was Bruce Lee so I chose Dan Lee which became LI Dan. Later i understood it means "Single Egg"!!!</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Dan, that's a "funny" experience ... but just to answer you, my mother chose my Christian name, and if I remember correctly, my grandparents chose my Chinese name ...

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

@ Dan, nick name could be Dan Dan.. then double eggs... which sounds local and cute for a guy.. *serious face*

I got my first English name "Angel" from my high school Australian teacher, but I realized that is so awkward to be called Angel. Then, my dad asked me to choose either "Barbra" or "Stephanie" before I went to abroad and I'm now Stephanie...

• Christopher Dame
    i was filling an aplication that required a chinese name, and i didnt have one, so i thought of the closest thing that soudned like my name, so i ended up with   南多 for Nando
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sometimes, I do envy most of you, for being able to change either your English or Chinese name as needed ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahhahhaha ... *cant help it* ... 伟哥 ,你好!

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

um.... double eggs or can be meant double balls.. so I was trying to use my serious face to convince you that I am talking about double eggs rather than balls.. :P

• Micky
    Micky wrote:

My Chinese name is "Qian Zhen Hao" 钱真好and I gave myself. For I know what I want in English... But some how my name is misconstrued. ie "I like money" 我爱钱

My first and middle names were given by my parents ofcourse.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

wo mei you zhongwen ming zi

• Simen Wangberg

霾科 - that's "Dirty Law" to you, suckas. Or "Hazy Section", depending on which translator I use. Nah, it's just a transliteration of my English name, and I think it translates better than  麦克 ("Wheat Subdue"), which is the more common version.

• Sally
    Sally wrote:

@ Dan,  there is a very amusing tool on this website called" Get a chinese name' http://www.mandarintools.com/ , u can try get one from there

• Jenelyn Tambago

I'm 巴勃罗, and my closest circle call me 罗罗
    My girlfriend's mom gave me that name.

• Jenelyn Tambago

and my gf dad calls me 大巴

• Rick (史大龙)

My Chinese name is 史大龙. A girl called me 大龙 because of the tattoo on my back and a friend said my last name sounds like 史. makes sense to me... I have worked in China since 2005, but just got my Chinese name last year.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

潇然,  an old friend gave me years ago, but now my friends don´t use, they prefer use... 

阿豆腐 why? this is the way in which the little kids from the wushu school pronounce my spanish name, Adolfo  

O_o

• Christian Hansen

I wanted to have QingGong as chinese name because it sounds like a cool word in Spanish but unfortunately when I arrived to Beijing, the company where I work had already picked my chinese name.... 

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

阿豆腐make sense... lol...  

• Mya
    Mya wrote:

Chose my english name as simple as i can,:Mya

We used to call the boss of the neighbore company 阿福 as his english name is Frank.

• Daniel Westerberg

When I first came to China, all my friends had some name with dragon in it :D there was 天龙, 飞龙 and so on, I got  小龙, so most people from my time at BeiTi knows me by that name. Then I met my wife, she didn't like that name i guess, so she changed it to 大牛 (there is a story behind that name also).

My REAL chinese name, the one that I have to fill out on wedding certificates and such is too long to even remember.. like 9 or 10 characters i think :D

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

what is it though,did u manage to remember it or not ?ha

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Hehe, Ami, I thought that was just a clever spelling. Do you mean your English name should be pronounced as "阿米" instead of Amy?

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

阿豆腐make sense??? 0_O

• Jenelyn Tambago

@Chucho Castillo : "QingGong"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

How about binche qinggong xD or quba bigou....

• Tonje Dahl
    Tonje Dahl wrote:
    when i think about the name ....i saw the chocalate...lol
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

哈哈,Masood 还有点幽默感。“非礼”

• Ms. Stephanie
  • Christian Hansen

@Buffalo

Believe me, I was so disappointed when I realize somebody else had already picked a chinese name for me, it would have been freaking qinggong to have that name lol

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

诺诺is cute...    I don't see good or bad about your 亚诺,but it similar with Arne.

诺亚方舟(希伯来语:תיבת נח,英语:Noah's Ark)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.