Discussion » Current Events » Obama's SOTU Address

• 袜子
    袜子 wrote:
    <p>Just read the full text of his speech - not bad. Nice to see that there might be a renewed emphasis on education that actually works, instead of Every Child Left Behind or whatever. And he even gave China some props, how about that. He didn't get too specific on immigration though, and I think that's going to be something that people will continue to nail him for.</p> <p>Although all this bullshit about "oooh look how the Democrats and Republicans are sitting together" is totally retarded and a good example of how the media over there focus on pretty much anything other than what actually matters. At least here, everyone already <strong>knows</strong> that the media are full of shit. I hope? People in the States get way too caught up in the petty crap that gets paraded in front of them 24/7. Nation of morons.</p> <p>Anyone else read it yet?</p> <p>http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/25/obamas-state-of-the-union-remarks/</p>
  • Micky
    Micky wrote:

Mike:- People on this website does not respond to meaningful thread; as there's no place sex, pussy cock or insult is mentioned dont expect any contribution. Meanwhile  the address by the president was really encouraging and focused more on domestic issues but my concern has always been the same. "Road to implementation". There was not much facial grudges like that of 2009 this guy Rep Joe Willson souted "Liar"..

Let's see how it goes for the next one year. I think with the zeal of re-election bid,.. things might be better

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Mike, as Micky said, you forgot to put "sex" or a racial stereotype in the title, so I don't know how much luck you're going to have with this thread.

I think it was an excellent speech, and I'm surprised how many of his policies I agree with. It gave me a tiny sliver of hope. His energy goals still seem weak in comparison to what is probably necessary, but they are a big step forward. I'm skeptical, but I hope his proposals for education can result in the third of the country that only repeats platitudes they hear on television actually learning to think for themselves.

But we all know that our corrupt, selfish congress will never let Obama's proposals become laws. On the bright side, it's really hard for them to make things worse while he's in office.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

A very nice speech. It's just a good thing to see this guy talking...He is one of those charismatic orator of our time.  The only thing is that people from the opposite side would like to oppose to someone statement even if there's nothing to oppose about. People oppose just for the safe of opposing without giving a corrective road map. But instead he is called "Called Indonesian muslim turned welfare thug

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

The Fox News crowd tries very hard to make him out as "the worst president of all time." While I do oppose the corporate and financial bailouts (half of which were started by congress and little Bush before Obama was in office), I can't think of anything else that he's done which was bad. This in contrast to little Bush, who's apparent goal while in office was to be "the last president of all time".

I wonder why Murdoch is gunning so hard for Obama. Is it just business? Is it that he's racist? Or does he just have shit for brains?

• Simen Wangberg

Definitely, definitely business. There's still a huge portion of the population that actually buys into the birther/tea party/gold-hoarding/etc bullshit, those are loyal Fox viewers, bringing in the advertising revenues and shit. Morons from sea to shining sea.

His energy policies...yeah. I mean, I really just liked that he took a dig at the oil companies, especially after they collectively raped America so hard during the Bush years. And for real, they've pretty much been the biggest reason why America has failed to develop cleaner, more sustainable sources of fuel and more efficient modes of public transportation.

I mean, there's a little more to the energy problem than that, like the fact that we are a nation of goddamn fucking dummies. This is honestly the hugest problem in the States I think. Too many goddamn idiots. Like I just don't understand how you can grow up middle or upper-working class in the States and end up being so retarded. Like people can't even figure out how fucking magnets work.

Seriously though, I don't think there's an excuse anymore, unless you're born in abject poverty or have a learning disability or something. I grew up in a podunk town with one and a half stoplights and we still had a fucking library and a school with computers. No fucking excuse to be dumb if you grow up anywhere other than the darkest corners of the inner city or you are actually mentally retarded, like the medical definition of it.

And I think a lot of it has to do with a culture that has basically ended up worshipping mediocrity in every form, from shit people watch on television to the way people perceive education and learning in general. Like yeah, it's never been "cool" to be smart, but now it's like being a complete moron is not only acceptable, but encouraged. Whatever, I'm done.

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

i love it. another empty promise from another government just trying to cover its own ass. maybe it will work but we will have to wait and see.

we are still seeing the effects of mr g. bush.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Obama isn't the messiah but he's the best president we could have had at this time, and all the shit getting shoveled on his feet by teabaggers, racists, and Republicans (three distinct groups, mind you) has wrung from me what little optimism I had left.

Granted, it's naught but a dry skidmark in my drawers. But you catch my drift, eh?

We believe our system is so perfect that it would be abominable to admit that it could be improved, let alone actually change it. Oh no. This is as good as it gets. When you've got it made like we do, there is only one thing left to do: un-make everything else.

If the fundamentalist Christians get the apocalypse they've been waiting for, then in a thousand years when aliens land on this planet and the archeological evidence show that America was most technologically advanced and culturally influential society on the planet.

And that's really fucking pathetic.

Granted, I'm a bit of a misanthrope and I want you all to die in a fire, anyway. But I am rather fond of history. To die and leave the earth a mess like it is now would be like that one time I played Oregon Trail on the classroom computer and named the wagon-master after a classmate I disliked, then left St. Louis with no food or clothes so as to intentionally kill the group and lose the game. Then when the wagon master finally died, the epitaph read: HERE LIES JOSH. HE WAS A FAG.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.