Discussion » Nonsense » Intellectual Property

  • Tuco
    Tuco wrote:
    <p>I am curious to know when did the COPYING of IP begin in China?</p> <p>I too love to download shit for free but you guys must realize, if not already, that most foreign companies are not interested in selling their products in china because their copyrights, trademarks and patents are not going to hold water here.</p> <p>personally I think that IP will become a rage in China in the next 10 years.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... let's just say this ... MONEY TALKS ... oh, and sex sells ...

    With all the A goods (or copycats) flooding the market, the genuine stuff cannot be sold too well, and that affect Chinese goods to be sold overseas ...

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    well do you think american products have a higher quality? I certainly do think so.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahaha ... I am sorry that I am not familar with American products ... the "American" products that I am in touch with are the Dell and the (genuine) Microsoft OEM CD that comes with the Dell, both were made in China anyway ... I dont have any Apple product, my mobile is K-Touch (a Chinese brand) ...

    Oh, yeah, some of my Polo's are made in America, and they are better quality than the ones from Silk Street :)

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    It is time for China to address the copyright laws strongly and bring more prosperity and quality to life for everyone. IP is really important .  many don't want to distribute here because of it.

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    i worked at SIPO for 2 years. you got it right mostly. they don't know how to impliment it on such a big scale. its a big challenge.

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    there is one thinking that copying is ok if used without sales. but when someone takes a product and applies for a patent by copying it in another country that doesn't work with the IP5 or WIPO then there must be something to be done about this.

     

    first of all the market is so damn big here. it would be better for the face of China to change this . Considering that they are now a global leader :)

     

    jia you Zhongguo!

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    ok but that took place in1883. i don't think there were as many applications for a patent at that time.

    you don't find people selling copies of shoes on the streets of New York or Berlin or in Japan.

    China's IP company, has over 10,000 employees now. Most of which I have spoken to are worried that once China does enforce more laws there will be a lot of jobs lost.  one of their leaders is my drinking buddy and he says that the staff are not busy with their work and have tons of free time.

    Maybe thats all government jobs here and abroad.

    I do know that someday IP will be a very hot item in China

     

    Jia you

  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

    My friend works for an IP firm. They regularly shut down factories and close off channels that illegally produce copyrighted goods. Certain western companies pay them large amounts of money to constantly scour the cities of china (mostly large ones) to see where these items are being sold, then they find the factories, and begin the legal process to bring charges against these places.

    The problem is the level of corruption in the Chinese government, and also jobs. If you are the leader of ZheJiang provence, you don't really give 2 shits about the foreign companies who are complaining about their products being made illegally. What you do care about is jobs for the people so that they can stay dumb and well fed and not start revolutions or turn to a life of crime in order to feed their family.

    You say what corruption? Example: My friend shut down a factor, confiscated their property and turned it into the government. A few months later they found out the government took this illegal merchandise, and sold it back to the factory, and the factory was reopened. The problem is these factory owners are in bed with government officials.

    The show "boardwalk empire" shows the corrupt prohibition-led government in the united states during the 1920's, and the similarities with the modern chinese-government are truly amusing.

  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

    So i have gathered two points:

    1) the goods were produced in China  AND

    2) The guy was caught when trying to bribe the customs officials.

    If this was used to argue the fact that these counterfeit goods are penetrating the US market anywhere near like they are in China, please do not waste your time.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Some IP isn't worth government protection and I for one am pretty fucking glad that the Chinese legal system simply doesn't have the time or the energy to deal with this shit. In the USA, the producers of copyrighted materials seldom receive many benefits from IP protections compared to lawyers and the companies for whom they work.

    Computer software, entertainment, and especially pharmaceuticals tend to be over-protected.

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    Jobs would be lost for people in SIPO when china joins IP5. They have so many people now because of all the redudant work they have to do. so when they join ip5 and get a central database set up there will be no need for extra people to do the extra work.

     

    I like what he said about having people go out and find the companies who are making the illegal copies of products.  it shoes that there is some action.

    And I totally disagree with Dando. All copyright and IP should be protected. Anything that doesn't belong to you is not for you to use to make money on. it just shows poor thinking and less concern for your fellow man.

    music, or an invention, a utility or design, trademark, copyright etc.

    all of it, needs to be changed here. until it does, China will lose face on the international market.

     

    I already spoke to about 15 companies in the USA who said they wont distribute here because of this.

    I think it just shows the general lack of concern for others and the greed of some people.  Making copies of something isn't wrong, but when you sell it for your own profit, well that just sucks because its not right to do it.

    I would not go out and copy pop shit songs from China and try to sell it somewhere. but many people will try.

    i think that although China is becoming a big player in todays global society, they need a lot of work. and thats ok.

    But even OBAMA said himself directly to Hu Jin Tao while on national tv, the IP laws must change in China.

    Now, who in China wants to try to copy BOEING? ha

    someday, someone here will be in a lot of trouble.

    as the case in switzerland a few years ago. A judge made an example of a man downloading a song and distributing it.  He was sentenced to 2 years.

     

    harsh? yes but a good step in the right directionee honestly, the quality sucks and i dont like to give theives my money.

     

    so, in the end, China will abide by these lawas and begin more enforement..

    Dont support copiers. They are thieves.

     

    Maybe you would understand if you played music and someone stole the song that you poured your heart and soul into. And also had spent 10,000's of rmb to produce and all they do is say "its mine now i can what i want".

    well that's not the case for me. SOmeone did this in china to me and my attorney was on his as for a year. in the end, the guy paid me xxx rmb and had to pay for 1 year legal fees.

    ha

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I'm just going to start calling you by your Christian name if you're going to post in your own thread with two accounts. This isn't trolling at all. It's astroturfing. What the fuck was wrong with Astaroth?

    The only musicians who are tangibly affected by copying are those who are selling millions of records. Stop kidding yourself; as an independent artist, you should be happy that someone is copying your work and distributing it to a wider audience, as it means you might have more people going to your shows.

    When Metallica went against Napster, it pissed off a lot of their hardcore fans who realized, correctly, that bootlegging concerts was what made those petty cunts famous in the first place, and that they made the bulk of their money on merchandise.

    Album sales just go to the record companies. Do the math. If you're signed to a major label, you're lucky if you're making a fraction of a dollar from each record. If you sued someone for downloading music or copying a CD and giving it to their friends, that's a dick move. Filesharers are your friends.

    On the other hand, if someone copies your music and uses it for a car commercial, that's a totally different story, because they're making money from your work.

    Outside of entertainment, there are some areas where IP protections simply aren't helpful in a broad sense. I mentioned pharmaceuticals before; I really shouldn't have to go much further than mentioning that a wide variety of common medicines could be made more readily available to the third world if it weren't for the intervention of pharmaceutical companies hell-bent on protecting their patents. Excessive litigation of IP in this area is especially vile, because it drives up the costs of medicines. Moreover, many new drugs are made only because governments subsidize their research!

    If tax dollars are being paid to help researchers discover new drugs, those drugs should be considered part of the public domain and not subject to patent protections.

    Inventors are no longer solitary individuals who come up with brilliant ideas in their basement workshops. Remember that conversation we had about Edison? He was a fucking dick who ripped off his own employees and abused patent laws to make his fortune off the backs of others. Scientific advancement comes from large groups of researchers working together.

    If they're chemical engineers working for a giant corporation like Dow Chemical, they won't even get the patent! They'll get a congratulatory medal from Dow and maybe a promotion. But that's not guaranteed by law. Dow will hold that patent, probably forever. In this case, how does patent protection encourage innovation?

    If companies don't want to invest in Chinese markets because they're afraid their brands will be copied, then that's too bad. Cue the maudlin erhu music. I don't give even the slightest slippery shit. Most of these companies are already making huge profits by exploiting the Chinese labor force and producing their goods at far lower costs than if they had union factories in their home countries. Having their brands ripped off is the price they ought to pay.

    From a consumer perspective, the only thing that branding is really supposed to accomplish is to guarantee a certain level of quality. Chinese consumers aren't stupid. They know that their "Guqi" and "Dolce & Gabbina" bargain swag is probably single-stitched and will disintegrate before they get a new one next Spring Festival.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    And you'll never understand how important P2P filesharing has been in supporting the indie rock scene, because you're too fucking old.

    I still know how to sight-read music, chief. You really think record company lawyers are passionate about your craft? Bullshit.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Sharing? Don't you mean...

     

    wait for it...

     

    wait for it...

     

    COPYING?!!?!??!?!!!!!!!11eleven

     

    That's exactly my point. The recording industry threw a big fucking fit about cassette tapes, and the MPAA complained about beta and VHS.

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    its not what happened.

  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

    Mike, I actually hope none of your music gets shared online now. Essentially because you'll then see none of the benefits.

    p.s. In before "you don't understand". Yes I do, I've been in tons of bands, and everything I've completed is available form one place or another for free because I made it free myself.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Pardon the fuck out of the goddamn Internet for not immediately apprehending the specific reasons for why you decided to sue some schmuck for ripping off your tunes, bro.

    Please. Enlighten us.

  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

    its not important to you guys. as ive said. someone made money from my works.

    thats bad.

    end of story

    and just to let it be well known. im tired of wasting time here on this lousy piece of shit website talking to a bunch of people who will be gone within the next 2-3 years.

     

    gun

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc