Discussion » Nonsense » Why do Chinese people think going to America is so

• Tuco
    Tuco wrote:
    <p>Have you really thought it through? Do you know what awaits you there?</p> <p>Nevermind the endless culture and language barriers. How about all the troubles you will face.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>America is not so damn great. I don't see any reason why someone would want to leave China, the strongest growing nation in the world, for a place where there are no jobs(its improving) for a place where its more stable.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>not to mention that the usa has a shit load of crazy fucks with guns.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>only reasonto go would be for education or some work experience and come back to china with that. then it is understandable.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>but i mean there are many people want to live there but they in fact never been there.</p>
  • Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

honesty is always a good thing

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

maybe you think it sux but im sure its better than england:)

• 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:

Cos most people in the world are insane!!

and Im insane too, but I still dare not to go to the US,  not even travelling

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... think of it as the "great American dream" of Chinese ...

I think we could even generalise it to "Get the Hell Out Of China Dream" and include any foreign country whose name is perhaps the only thing that they know about ... I know someone who is in middle-to-senior position in Beijing, and wants to go to Australia, but has no clear idea of what to do over there ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

well if the world is filled with Insane people. I guess I fit right in.

THE usa is only good for chinese to travel and study. then bring it back here.

By the way, I was born in the usa and i know that its not a good stable economy.

even though China agreed to buy 45 billion in goods.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... surprisingly (or rather, not surprisingly), it is often the insane ones who made the decision, so there goes ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

perhaps yes. i dont know but from my point of view since i lived in both countries. China is better. better girls and more opportunities :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... seriously, you seem to have an obssession about China that needs to be cured ...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

there is no obsession. it is merely an acute sense of common knowledge :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... in such case, I apologise for the lack of common knowledge :)

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

mei shi. i didnt mean you!!! i mean just that i lived in 3 countries for long periods of time and just have more experiences than some. I wish i could find someone who has more cultural experiences than I.

i miswrote that statement ... hehe dui bu qi

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... let's compare notes ... about 20 years in HK, and about 20 years in Austrailia, and just passing 5 years in Beijing :)

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

I have to say that Beijing has a great acronym ;)

• Solveig Smørdal Botn

i like guns and i like girls....but not ↑the ugly girl....

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

If I had to make a stupid generalization to apply to Chinese people as a blanket statement, I would say that travel outside of China, and especially to America, is a status symbol.

Status (proving to everyone else that you're not poor) is important, and poor people can't afford to travel for leisure (nor will they have the opportunity for business), so being well traveled will help to improve your status. Since an American visa is famously difficult to obtain, travel to America will elevate your status even further. It is important to take pictures of yourself at famous tourist sites when traveling, so everyone will know you have been there.

Or maybe it's because they like banging white girls, which seems to be the case with my few Chinese friends who actually admit they like living in the U.S.

I'm not sure which generalization would be stupider. It doesn't really matter, since I'm just trolling.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

"By the way, I was born in the usa"

Obviously. That's why you tried to do self-deprecation but failed by the third post.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Pyramid scheme!

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

both y'all can take a flying hike ya dig?

first of all, here in the land of baozi we have a pretty decent set up. with not much to complain about except a few minor details.

lets see. in the states most people i know are under employed or just losing work or struggled. here it hasn't happned, for myself.

sure maybe a status for a chinese person, however, i still say China is far better for a strong economic growth.

uh 45 billion dollars from Obama says so. and an 800% increase in products from the Midwest. And thanks to mayor daley for giving Hu more face than some snubbed nose repulicans who slammed the concept of more bilaterial ties with China.

www.lame.com

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Did this guy ever come to China to teach English?

http://homepages.theonion.com/PersonalPages/jAnchower/

Just occured to me, don't know why I'm posting it on this thread.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

Ok, why ppl wanna go to U.S.A? LIke Uncle DD mentioned. The top reason is American dream. 

1. American dream ( Chinese must be cursed or voodoo happened since 70th in China and in fact USA was better than what it is right now). 

2. Get the hell out of China to see the world.

2.1. It is good to see the world as outsider and be an open-minded person.

2.2. It is a nice potential exploration driven experience during our young age, plus we knew foreign country hate us but  they "love" us for money and meanwhile China needs more people who have got international experience.

2.3. Basically we are acting like some culture facilitator roles, well, it didn't work well isn't it. lol

3. There was a saying " You donno how much you love your country until you get out of it." It somehow made me proud of being a Chinese compare to those blind Chinese. 

4. American accent? I'm beijinger, so retroflexion is easier and we love 儿话音.

My case is our family was invited to join X'mas party every year when I was in junior school in America embassy in Beijing. why? my dad used to work there and he got overseas education in his generation. Then, I've been affected during my childhood of all usa related stuffs. Then, I wanted to go for education right after high school, but fucking 9-11 made it harder to apply. 

Then, my parents sent me to New Zealand, a small small country close to Australia. I was thinking Australia is a country side when I was in high school and all my English teachers from there. BUT, New Zealand ....+___+ dammit!!!! I didn't even know there is a country called New Zealand before I've been sent there... 

Well, I'm working in an American company after I came back but I was in New Zealand (british education system). So it end up like my tongue fucked up sometimes by using dual accent unconsciously. :P

ps: OP it is a nice question indeed. 

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Mike, I'm guessing you and your friends are kinda "underdogs" in America, no?

Go compare your lives to the "underdogs" in China. Conveniently, I unearthed these old pictures today. Compare yourselves to the people in them.

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/amazing-pictures-pollution-in-china/

If ChinaHush is blocked, you can see the Chinese site.

http://bbs.news.qq.com/b-1001024026/37319.htm

Yeah, I agree that if you were some kind of pre-owned vehicle sales or financial "consultant" in the U.S., you might be better off in China teaching English or trafficking cocaine. Personally most people I know were better off financially in the U.S. than in China.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Pomegranite, you damn pomegranite fruit, it's totally unfair to assume that every American who comes to China to teach English is just an underachieving stoner. I mean c'mon, there's Dand... oh wait...

Nevermind, carry on.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

tourist is boring... be part of the culture is somehow exciting... 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I know OP IRL. He is also an underachieving stoner from my neck of the woods.

For fuck's sake, use your real account, OP. You're causing unnecessary confusion between yourself and your drummer.

• JOSH
    JOSH wrote:

U wanna know why?

- for more safety food

- for acceptable housing price

- for cheaper gas

- for better medical & education

- for more freedom to access internet

- or simply for more options on TV programs from everyday 7 to7.30pm rather than a stupid program called"新闻联播“ takes all fxxking channels!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... isnt there an English saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"? And in this case, the fence had been built around China for many years to keep people here ...

I have question about what Stephanie wrote: "to see the world" ... I cannot say I have met too many people in China, but for those who wishes to "go", and those who had come back, the term "superiority" are definitely in their tone somewhere ... I remember having the honor to interview this chubby guy back from Germany, as my job was to interview candidates in English, so I asked him to talk in English, and he replied "I dont talk to Chinese in English", which just made me laugh ...

... by the way, I still find the NZ accent very cute when they say "six" ...

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

Uncle, I just finished one movie and about to make up and meet someone, then I just saw a question from you... =.=

DD, that was inappropriate and unfair to ask some guy back from Germany in English??? .. I would ask you to interview me in Germany if I were him and spoke "I dont talk to Chinese in English using Germany too."lol..

oh well, I gotta go..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I should have explained this ... that company is "outsource" (i.e. renting out cheap local labor) to clients like Moto and Nokia, and the clients demand some English comm skill, which was why I had to ask the poor boy to speak in English ...

Where are you heading tonight? It is cold ...

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

around Sanlitun er... .... a secret place to chill ... :P

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Uncle D, were you speaking to the guy in German or in Chinese at the time? I presume you gave him the job for his high level of "fit" into the local culture?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it was Chinese, to ask him to speak in English, then the core of the interview was done in English ... not in German ... I was not high enough on the food chain to make any offer, I just wrote my comments about his English skill, I think he bombed out on technical ... he was a PhD in some very high tech stuff, not enough in IT ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It's not all about CHinese people, most people around the world would like to go the States. It's just because they'd like to experience the american dream...But since 911, The US is no longer the land of opportunities anymore, life has got tough, the only thing is for immigrant to go and get the education and come bk.

There are lot of nice places, clean, but often times movies don't show the ghettoes and delabrated places...

• Peter S 李贝勒

democracy against dictatorship? what do u prefer?

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

What an interesting yet inaccurate conversation. Without the US, China would suffer economically and without China so would we. If you do your research you'll see that no matter how much bad we've done there's also the good. If you study not American or Chinese books but purely facts, you'll discover that we've helped defend your great nation politically and from a business standpoint as well (Many Americans don't want Chinese goods) .

It's a shame that we even need to have this conversation. Americans and Chinese alike both have to work hard to attain "The Dream", whether is from the US or China, stop kidding yourselves. The major difference in this equation is the definition of freedom. It's that little extra piece of freedom here that may allow you to do so much more.

If you don't believe me check the facts. It's hard to keep up in the states since you have to have that game face on more. Our culture(Yes we have it no matter how crazy it may be) changes more rapidly .

Why do you think there is an American influenced Chinese Gangster on many blocks.... Sad but true, I won’t lie to my people only keep it cool 100%.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ AM : Wow , and I thought that God , Jesus Christ and maybe even Budda was holy!

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ 琪琪: Wow, If you're are not the perfect example of a diverse and intelligent lady of China then I don't know what is . Keep doing your thang and do it well.

• Simen Wangberg

Yeah - as much as the States might blow right now, it blows even worse in China for most Chinese folks. Blanket statement.

But no, like...alright, so there was a discussion in the minimum wage thread awhile back, and some folks pointed out that even McDonalds employees in the West make pretty solid wages compared to most folks of comparable intelligence/upbringing are making in China. That's just the real shit.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ 琪琪: Maybe so, but as my dad always says education is not in the equation of "common sense".  I figure we may both have some, hopefully, probably, or at least that one day we did :)

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ Mike: Sad but true… Hopefully there is as least an opportunity to save a little and move on though. Somehow the very young may benefit and it will only serve as a bridge to further themselves. Hell, even I like a little McDonalds’s here and there but, not too much that stuff will kill a brother 4 real.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Yeah, none of that made any sense at all.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pomy ... so what's new?

• Amalie Sæverud

D-wade

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

"I understand it is a white people's paradise,tons of good looking foreign whores and good salarys(not for Chinese), manners only for white people, double crime penalty if you do it to white ppl."

I don't know about the whores, salaries, or manners, but HARMONIOUS is there, so that's definitely worth something..

• ┢┦apΡy
    ┢┦apΡy wrote:

你说的对,中国不错,但是我蛮喜欢美国那种状态,自由民主~~

但是我要说社会主义好啊,会不会很多人朝我“让子弹飞”!

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Actually, I believe you are in the Filipines... That's ok, I'd rather go there anyway and enjoy the sun.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.