Discussion » Current Events » Communism or capitalism?

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:
    <p>I wonder which of these two systems is really evil? News that comes from the States are not gospel. Unemployment rate still high, people couldn't afford paying mortgages... nothing shows this situation could end up soon. Has something gone wrong with capitalis which people claimed to be divine? Which country has one these systems worked well?</p>
  • Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

    liberalism

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Liberal free-market capitalism is the worst possible way to run an economy, except for every other way that any other country in history has ever tried.

    Thems the breaks.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Government intervention has rescued capitalism during every economic crisis throughout history, and all market economies rely on government subsidy and regulation to avoid crisis.

    Capitalists will tell you that pure communism is unrealistic; the converse is also true. Pure capitalism has never existed, either. Both are ideal types.

    Mixed economies are more practical and successful, but let's face it: that's  socialism, which unfortunately is a dirty word in my part of the world. But that's reality. Deal with it.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Capitalism is a pyramid scheme. Its foundation is the notion that more demand can be created. Supply is finite, based on the natural resources available on the planet, so the notion of creating more demand by creating more people was better left in the dark ages.

    Communism never means communism. It's always used as a euphemism for capitalist dictatorship. I have no idea how it's supposed to work, since I've only lived in capitalist countries.

    Capitalism doesn't work, as Ethan pointed out, but the only alternative I'm aware of is if we all became dirty fucking hippies like Dando, and no one wants that. Also, I'd have to give up my pile of Jew-gold.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    。。。

    Hahahaha ... *tu tu* ... no ideal is truly "evil", it is about how people runs it ... and when someone decided that an ideal can be made better with something else, it's just pollution ...

     

  • Jenelyn Tambago

    I think both of them are bad, since both of them work under some same system. You need to find a balance...It's almost proven than both system do not work, USA is one example that everyone knows about now, and China is another one. Even if you say China is a communist country, is not since in communism there are no private companies and China Gob realized that there was no growth within Gob Enterprises. Communism doesn't work because people is lazy and will take advantage whenever they can. It's a great idea for ideal man. Not for humans...

    There is a new idea called Venus project.

    In general is to reduce cost of life through technology. For more info search it online xD

  • Daniel Westerberg

    couldn't one argue that the "system" dosn't matter as long as the gouverment is working FOR the people and not for their own greedy asses?

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    ...

    Hahahahaha ... Daniel ... off head, I cannot think of one government (among the super powers) that can do this ...

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    but let's face it: that's  socialism, which unfortunately is a dirty word in my part of the world.

    It's a shame iin the US there was no tolerance over someone adhering to some socialist concepts. Someone declaring to have socialism concept could have been stoned. Whereas in France for instance u see socialist or communist party involved in the gorverment...

    So what kind of capitalism shall we craft? Now that the market fundamentalism to which we've adhered for the past 30 years has -- by its own criterion of increasing shareholder value -- totally failed? Now that Alan Greenspan has proclaimed himself "shocked" that "the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholders' equity" proved to be an illusion?

    High Priest

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    Government is ruled by a bunc of thieves and greedy people. We've noticed that in the ex Soviet Union where the leaders were better off comparing to the common People. The lobbies in capitalist countries own leaders and the latest work to meet their needs. This is what leads to the catastrophy we are watching around the world.

  • Simen Wangberg

    "Also, I'd have to give up my pile of Jew-gold."

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo! Not my JJEWWWWWWWEwwwwwwwwwwwww gold!

    No for real son, are you Jewish? I sorta am, but not really. No, I guess I'm not. No it's confusing man, I've had Jewish people tell me "you're Jewish" and also that "you're sort of Jewish". So I'm all kinds of confused.

    Everyone made all the good points already mostly

    Also, props to the gent upstairs that posted the Joker gif

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    Communism has never really been tried. Capitalism has, with very mixed results. As is often the way, I suspect somewhere in the middle is best; I would go for Democratic Socialism.

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

    the above is not quite my original word order....

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I'm gonna nitpick something Qiqi said, even though I generally agree with this middle way business, like the bud-smoking Buddhist I am.

    I don't think capitalism necessarily entails greater personal or political freedoms, nor does communism necessarily entail totalitarianism or authoritarianism. Nor are either good or evil. They're economic theories.

    On another path of digression, I for one am sick and fucking tired of this ideological "invisible hand" bullshit and the notion that markets are naturally self-regulating or self-perpetuating, as if there's anything natural about them at all! Markets aren't some sort of magical fucking collective consciousness capable of utilitarian decisions. People do that. And if you think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, then maybe you might also believe that Anonymous is the god of the Internet.

    Wait. I do believe that.

    I shouldn't have to say this, but there is a huge difference between communism and Communism. The latter is a political party, which actually is capable of moral agency and can make decisions for good or for evil. And even though I'm fairly sympathetic to communists, I want absolutely fucking nothing to do with Communists.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Seems like any ANUS sort of formatting is breaking lines.

  • Simen Wangberg

    Hahaha sweet, lemme try that. BUTTHOLES. Did it work?

  • Simen Wangberg

    Huh. Well ain't that some magic.

  • Simen Stensvoll

    im  quite superficial,and i found the difference between  Communism and capitalism is something like this:

    the communist say "i wanna make love with u"

    the capitalist say " i wanna fuck u"

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Mike, is your mother Jewish? If so, congratulations, so are you. Please pass go and collect your Jew gold from the bank. If you're not sure if your mother is Jewish or not, ask her if her mother is Jewish or not. If your maternal grandmother is Jewish, that will do the trick.

    Dando made a good point about the difference between communism and Communism.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Minimy,

    I wanna bang u.

  • Simen Wangberg

    Yeah, no that's exactly it though, none of the Jewdom comes down on my mother's side. My dad's parents practiced Judaism, and that's about how it goes..

    But I still have a huge Jew fro if I grow my hair out and Jewish people used to constantly come up to me and ask me if I was Jewish. And I wanted to be a doctor and/or lawyer when I was a kid, and I feel like my mom is always judging me. So I feel like I must be an honorary Jew or something.

  • Simen Stensvoll

    Minger,i know u support capitalism

    and Dando supports communism

    u two have no chance to be in love with each other,sorry

     

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Mike, sorry dude, I didn't make the rules. You're not Jewish, no gold for you. On the bright side, people will try to murder your entire family less often.

    Minimy, that's why I wanna bang you, not Dando. As I've expressed before, although I love the guy, he and I have an exclusively non-faithful relationship.

  • Simen Wangberg

    Actually, this fucked-up formatting issue could lead to some interesting accidental poetry.

    I wanna bang, not Dando. As I've expressed before,

    you

    guy,

    exclusively.

    Yep, just me and Sylvia Plath over here.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    hahaha... perhaps it was a Freudian formatting slip. Now for your reading pleasure, my best slip ever:

    In reference to weightlifting, my intended text of "I don't want to get bigger, just to be stronger," somehow changed into "I don't want to get bigger, just do me stronger." As JZ noted, I may in fact be gay.

    Girls, would one of you like to show a confused guy your boobs so I can try to understand myself better?

  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    I dont give a shit about both of them as long as I've got money in my pocket... who cares...
  • Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:
    According to Minimy: the communist say "i wanna make love with u" the capitalist say " i wanna fuck u" I recon something like: Love me gently for communists and Fuck me hard for capitalists...
  • Undermoonlight

    Those who take "ism" seriously are all manipulated by ideologies...on this point, I agree with Mr. Deng Xiaoping--"It's done no good for arguing which belongs to which "ism"...Some of the comments listed above have got a shred of the ture nature of human society, but you guys ought to have a much clearer conception of how those in power manipulate people's mind to their advantages...There is no bad or good "ism"--only sophiscated or dumb manipulations...So far, Russia and China are the examples of failure, while Britain (US is the successor) and other western countries are somehow sucessful...however, it is like a long-term competition through a historical perspective--no one knows who will be the next winner...

  • Undermoonlight

    And, besides, economics is a deeply political business...

  • Christopher Dame
    kk, communism makes ideally the perfect society. but in practice its not doable cause we are greedy and selfish.. and if you think you aren't selfish think again, humans have a gene that makes us naturally selfish beings. check out ''the selfish gene'' by richard dawkins. so like if we werent selfish, communism could actually work. and right now china is not communist. it has a communist governemnt BUT its market is leaning towards a more capitalist market "So far, Russia and China are the examples of failure," but what if you take communism into a smaller region? china and russia are too big in size to make every single detail the way you want to. what if you introduce communism into lets say... an island? or a tiny country?
  • Christopher Dame

    eii  undermoonlight, it is true that whatever ''ism'' we follow shows how our mind are controlled. but isnt that good? dont you think that if everybody was crazily open minded and thought in whichever way the wanted the world would be chaos? we need a set of rules in order to live

  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

    Capitalism has saved our lifes, our countries, now we are free, we are not slaves anymore


    Now we can choose the colour of our clothes, choose one of the styles among the predefined styles for this year (emo, popero, classic, chic. neo-hippy....). In other times no, the people were so unfashionable in those dark times.


    We can choose between McDonalds and KFC, windows or Mac, .... democrats or republicans, US english or UK english....... (is good have options, but not many, still we like our amazing capacity of decision and choice, fuck yeah!!)


    Before if we had a illness, the better was pray to god, now we only need to pray for that your medical secure covers the costs.


    Even we can choose our profession (well if we can afford the university, of course, but is not problem, the banks  borrow us the money, they are very nice) Also we can enjoy of holidays. slaves can not, poor of them, but it is a pitty that after work 9-10 hours we are so tired that we can not enjoy of my freetime......


    In the ancient times we ask god to send furious angels to kill the bad lord or kings... whatever, but now, not problem because there are not slavemasters, not kings...., all the people is equal, yuju!!! ok, well, not true 100%....our differents are determinated by the number of zeros in our account... yep, money, capital, is important for this reason the most of us play the lottery, because is the only honest way of have it.

    O_o

  • Christopher Dame

    and a 10% unemployment rate, and not to even mention that the choices you have between a windows and a mac, polo or ck, or whatever is for a certain group of people with a minimum x income.

     

    capitalism promotes propaganda and advertisement to make the people want things they dont need. were it a communist society there wouldnt be a need of choice cause you wouldnt need one. we want what we see and what we dont have

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    I somehow agree with Fernando that what brings setbacks to all of these systems is our human nature. Everyone would like to have something that belongs to himself or herself. And often time when something belongs to everyone, it's become a subject of conflict, moreover, some don't get the real value of it. Those in power can't stop thinking of making their lives better casual and not even paying attention the basic needs of common people.

    @Underthemoon,

    So far, Russia and China are the examples of failure, while Britain (US is the successor) and other western countries are somehow sucessful

    I can partially agree with you, in come countries, capitalism has succeded, but from my perspective, in the US it has failed. Most of the time we see how glorious US have been, clean and people making money and getting richer, but we forget that those people getting richer are just a handful group of a people. No one would talk about the majority of American who are poor and don't have any hope about the future...No job, homeless and no insurance...all if this why? as Fernando mentioned, selfishness... I would say her that capitalism especially that one used in the US is more than evil. Because of profit, money, they have shifted companies overseas and more people have left hopeless and jobless...US as a land of opportunity have become a land of uncertainty.

    @Adolph Sekades,

    I'm not sure about which freedom you are metioning about, while people have got to pay mortgage all their lives till they die...We are having another form of slavery, we are overworking while we faught for that freedom year back, French revolution sums it all. Now we spend much of our time at work, no time for leisure and even enough time for sleep...I just wonder sir...

    Before if we had a illness, the better was pray to god, now we only need to pray for that your medical secure covers the costs.

    I would like you to differentiate treatment and healing here. Human kind can offer treatment, we've the money one got, he or she can get any treatment, but Healing is divine. How often times we've seen people have the same illness, the doc treats them with the same medication, in the morning, one is dead, and one is recovering?

    MLK said:  "The means by which we live have outdistanced the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. "
    It's a shame that today we tend to be more secular and have forgotten spiritualilty and we believe that as long as we've got money we've got anything...

    High Priest

     

     

     

  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

    Lets get this thread back to the topic of Jews, since I'm a Heeb myself.  Seems there's quite a few of us trolling around these boards.

    I don't understand why more people don't adopt a Jewist economic philosophy.  Never heard of it?  Jewism theory dictates that, regardless of what country you are in, accept whatever retarded ineffectual economic ideology the idiots in charge have implemented, then run circles around mutherfuckers and outdo all them hos at whatever bizness you pick.  Make shit tons of cash, and get the fuck out of dodge. 

    It's not rocket science, people.  Get on it.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @the beijing situation (the situation? did the guidos move to Tianjin Shore?)

    "No facebook, twitter youtube, or porn,"

    What the hell does this have to do with the price of rice in China? Those sites are blocked to eliminate foreign competition with RenRen, Youku, and whatever the fuck microblogging tool the Chinese kids are using these days. That's cartel capitalism.

     

    @undermoonlight,

    Enterprising thinkers used to conceive of new and eclectic ideologies instead of dodging the question or claiming to transcend all -isms. How delightfully postmodernIST of you.

    Or maybe you're Rastafari? Isms cause schisms, eh?

     

    @Fernando,

    "check out ''the selfish gene'' by richard dawkins"

    Dawkins is pop science and, as a biologist, isn't really an expert at explaining human behavior. I like the guy, especially when he's trolling the Xtianists, but Cheesus Christ on a cracker I am tired of hearing that guy wanking the stiff end of the nature/nurture dichotomy, which is bullshit anyway.

    There's no such thing as human nature! If there is such a thing, we're socialized by parents, teachers, clergy, and cops to act quite adverse to our natural desires. What more proof do we need that even greed can be socialized out of us?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Minger,

    "the only alternative I'm aware of is if we all became dirty fucking hippies like Dando, and no one wants that."

    No fucking shit. I don't want that either. Sure, I'm a dyed in the wool dirty red collectivist, but I for one would be totally miserable if I lacked reason to dissociate myself from everyone else. I doubt if I could still masturbate so much if I actually lived in a commune.

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    The book is called The Selfish Gene, not the Selfish Human, meaning it's the genes that are selfish, not necessarily the people who are carrying them. The genes build your brain and then that's it, you do whatever you want. They can only hope you cooperate with their selfish designs.

    Haha...the nature/nurture debate is bullshit...but there is no human nature! Why is it so important for dirty hippies to believe this?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Conan,

    Genes have agency?

    ...I dunno dude, you tell me. I think you took the brown acid. You're the new authority on what's important for dirty hippies to believe.

    10/10, A++++++, trolled again

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    Hm...not sure if genes have an agency you can call...maybe just pick up a biology book...then again, humans aren't really a part of biology, right? so...

    honestly, I think the debate IS bullshit, but the popularity of your 'blank slate' argument does give rise to many 'controversial' popular science books pushing alternate views -- for instance, that parenting doesn't matter. 

    And for some reason I like these books, so...don't change!

  • Simen Wangberg

    "not sure if genes have an agency you can call"

    Yeah gene agency. Uh huh, this the gene agency - yep, ah yep you guys got some genes here, ready to do - uh huh, whatever. Yeah. Yeah no, they just do whatever man. Gotta roll with it. Uh huh. Okay see ya. Yea-bye.

    "the popularity of your 'blank slate' argument does give rise to many 'controversial' popular science books pushing alternate views -- for instance, that parenting doesn't matter. "

    Errrrrr. I think the "blank slate" argument actually gives rise to the view that parenting does matter - a whole whole lot, since the theory basically states that we're just empty vessels to start out with and shit. For example, I've been socialized to love big junky trunks you guise.

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    Errrr...I think you missed the word 'alternate' there, Mike.

  • Simen Wangberg

    Yeah I dunno reading. Blame my parents! EHEH

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Conan,

    "honestly, I think the debate IS bullshit, but the popularity of your 'blank slate' argument does give rise to many 'controversial' popular science books pushing alternate views -- for instance, that parenting doesn't matter. "

    I never said anything about a blank slate, nor did I say that humans weren't a part of biology. I said the dichtomy is garbage and that even if there is such a thing as human nature, it's changeable and influenced by environment (and therefore impossible to separate from 'nurture'). Furthermore, I said I didn't give a shit what an evolutionary biologist has to say about human behavior, just like I wouldn't ask an astronomer to predict the weather. Astronomers are smart people and I know that weather is affected by the positions of different celestial bodies, but that doesn't mean they have access to the same set of tools as a meteorologist. Likewise, biology has some influence on human behavior, but that doesn't mean they have adequate tools for explaining collective behavior.

    And like Mike, I can't make logical sense of your argument either. You said the popularity of one theory gives rise to its antithesis. LOL WUT? Like you, I'm a contrarian jerk who is likely to believe the opposite of whatever he is told, but at least I can chart my path to hell so other people can follow. You seem to have skipped a few steps along the way.

    It's not really relevant to the discussion, but there is actually plenty of sociological evidence showing that in the long run, parental socialization matters far less than peer socialization. For example, kids born to or adopted by homosexual parents are actually LESS likely to engage in homosexual behavior as adults. Of course, this doesn't do anything to refute the "blank slate" strawman argument you wish I was trying to make.

    Back to the topic: Several previous posters said something to the effect of, "Communism sounds nice, but human beings are naturally selfish and greedy. Therefore communism is impossible." This is an unbelievably trite and silly argument, moreso if you accept that human nature is fundamentally changeable. If individuals, institutions, and societies can--with varying degrees of success--find ways to control the expression of our innate FUCK WARM HOLES and KILL WEAKER CREATURES genes, then why can't we alter the expression of our so-called selfish genes?

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:
    Doc Dando, "Communism sounds nice, but human beings are naturally selfish and greedy. Therefore communism is impossible." This is an unbelievably trite and silly argument, moreso if you accept that human nature is fundamentally changeable. It's not bullshit sir, that's the hardest part of human nature, very hard to alter the so-called selfish gene. I often think, China has been one of the luckiest Ist contries to have rised because of the fate that was good on their way. They got some people who transcended selfishness and put McCain slongan (Country First) into real practice. Deng is to be given much credit to this...While I often believe that Our Hero Mao would be more remembered for uniting China, but If his Heir didn't get shot in the head in Korean war where he was preparing him to be in Charge after his death... China would be like DPRD dynasty...SO he didn't have anyone from his kinship to take over as a second son, was as I heard with mental problem
  • Simen Wangberg

    "If individuals, institutions, and societies can--with varying degrees of success--find ways to control the expression of our innate FUCK WARM HOLES and KILL WEAKER CREATURES genes, then why can't we alter the expression of our so-called selfish genes?"

    I guess that's the prob, Bob. Despite being all educated and civilized and shit, the vast majority of people still consider eating and fucking to be their primary concerns.

    Selfish gene, y'all. I dunno man, I think it's coded in there pretty hard. It's just different now - like instead of having this evolutionary hard-coded urge to kill and eat as many Pteranodons as possible, we gotta get that LV handbag son. 1000000 GET.

  • Daniel Westerberg

    well Mike, guess we just have to develope and release "the Pax" (G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate) in the world then..

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Daniel, Can you catch a buzz off it?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Eating and fucking are two of my favorite things, too, but the expression of those drives is still heavily modified by socialization. I don't whip my dick out at every fertile female, and I don't eat fruit at the market until after I've paid for it. Likewise, we are materialistically greedy only when we know it's socially acceptable. That part is subject to collective decision making. If we sanction selfishness, people will behave selfishly.

    If we're only going to be persuaded by arguments (ab)using biological jargon, let me put it this way: You have a genotype and you have a phenotype. Genotypes are hard-coded into your DNA, and do not change. Phenotypes are the physical expression of those genes, be it eye or hair color, or in this case, behavior. Phenotypical expression is triggered by an external stimulus (i.e. environment).

    Being the dominant form of life on this planet, we have an awful lot of control over our social environment in particular. There is no greater testament to the malleability of human nature than the rapid development of China during the 20th century.

    Selfish people can be made to behave selflessly if you give them the right incentives for altruism. That could be the threat of violence, elevated social status, sex with hippies, or even alternative material rewards. Indeed one can be very selfishly selfless, and there are plenty of examples of socialist economic policies that provide end benefits for capitalists. The problem is that as individuals, capitalists expect relatively swift returns on their social investments compared to the long-term commitments required for social development.

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    I wasn't really making an argument, boys, but if I had to chart you to hell, I'd say first you have the compassion of the hippy, the widespread notion, held with religious fervor, that there is no such thing as human nature (or 'blank slate' - [no, actually I wish you weren't making that argument, but you were]) and if there is, we can change it through the shear power of socialization and culture. Genes? Wtf? You can't even see 'em!

    This religion elevates Dawkins and (my new favorite) Steven Pinker to the level of heretics, and their books become more 'controversial' and thus more widely read and studied.

    And Dando, yes any study finding that the kids of queers are less likely to go queer if anything supports the idea that they didn't have the queer gene and/or were reverse-socialized against queerdom.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Conan,

    By the same crude equivocation that you say I am arguing for a 'blank slate,' one could say you are arguing for social darwinism tinged with Calvinist predestination. How heretical and edgy of you to adhere to a pseodoscientific tradition that has justified the status quo of the last few hundred years. You're such a daring and independent thinker.

    Bravo.

    *golf claps*

    Except, you're not making any arguments, so I won't bother to try and make sense of your contradictory logic or run-on sentences. Try expressing your own opinions correctly before trying to inform me about what I'm arguing about, puh-leaze. And don't conflate my patience with compassion. I'm far more of a bitter and cantakerous Marxoid than anything else. The hippy label is something of an in-joke that I can't blame you for not getting, since you only show up in this forum for obtuse piss-taking.

    And I love you for it. But not -that- way, because my college days of attempting toresocialize myself as a queer are long over.

    Don't change either, babe.

     

    @Harmonious,

    Welcome to the sociopolitical sausage fest.

    The whole "dictatorship of the proletariat" thing was such an unfortunate choice of words for Marx, not unlike how "opiate of the masses" put socialism on the wrong side of religion until liberation theologians came along and pointed out that Jesus, too, was a dirty hippy communist.

    "Dictatorship" sounds so authoritarian and suggests that communism is fundamentally at odds with democracy and freedom, when it's really about democratizing the means of production. But every iteration of the Communist Party--not just China's--has abandoned this goal and eliminated or marginalized labor unions immediately after coming to power.

  • Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

    apparently,the discussion goes to seriously deeper

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Tina,

  • Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

    what's the pic

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    @Tina,

    Can't see it? TMD Photobucket.

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    Yes, studying how the brain works is very 'pseudoscientific.' Instead we should call in some sociologists and conduct some polls and find out what the citizens are really concerned about and then social-constructionist academics can fashion some new policies that really target those concerns in a meaningful, not just a superficial photo-op kind of way. I mean just cause one dude took a nail to the head and went from a soft-spoken polite little chap to a raging asshole doesn't mean that would happen to everybody and it certainly can't mean that the brain controls human behavior!

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    I wrote something here, but I don't see it, so maybe I only imagined writing it.

    Harmonious wrote: "But when there is a good dictator it will be always good for a country...."

    I actually completely agree with you, and not just because you showed me your beautiful boobs. I have long thought that the best form of government is a totalitarian dictatorship. Unfortunately, the worst form of government is also a totalitarian dictatorship. It just depends on who the dictator is.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Hooking someone up to an MRI and watching which parts of the brain light up in response to whatever stimuli is so deliciously science-y! I mean, there are machines with blinking multicolored lights and switches and knobs and Flash Gordon noises. It's at least as predictive as reading the bumps on people's skulls. And the "results" are so easily rendered into press releases, which mainstream journalists love because they don't need any prior scientific background in order to fill column inches. What a wonderful investment of research grant money!

    You strike me as the sort of person who would have gone along with the Milgram experiments just because the grad student standing behind you was wearing a lab coat.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    ha ha ha, hilarious

  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

    Well, my weakness for handsome gentlemen in lab coats combined with my love of hearing the screams of innocents in addition to the fact that hey, it is imperative that I continue with the experiment, you're damn right I would've taken it all the way up to 50!

  • Simen Wangberg

    Oh word son, I was just reading about the remake this morning. I'm actually super-psyched to see it, in the same way that I was psyched to play C&C: Generals and pretend to be a Chinese military commander.

    Not that I necessarily have a boner for the PLA, but...well, yeah I do. LOOKIT THEM SWEET BOMBS. Anyone catch the military parade during the 60th anniversary deal? That was rad.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    There is nothing wrong with dictatorship as long as it does well to the leadeship and to the nation or corporation. But when dictatorship is crual, intrasigeant or focused on looting the country to the detriment of the common people, that's nepotism and thus people should stand up and fight for  their democracy. Here democracy should be reflected into improving peope welfare and freedom of mind....

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    I think even benevolent dictatorships are ineffective, especially when you're dealing with larger countries. How are leaders to know what their people need? That's the real reason for establishing democratic institutions. Being able to vote for leaders doesn't magically grant people freedom. It's a system for gathering feedback from the people, albeit a crude and imperfect one.

    How is it possible for a dictator to gauge the success and popularity of their policies without some form of democratic institutions? Unless your dictator is superhuman, they will need help. So they must appoint other people to lower positions of power. Who? Probably people they trust, like friends or family. I think you know where this is going.

    Or maybe your benevolent dictator would use civil service exams to find the most competent people. Meritocracy is the solution to nepotism. But who administers the examinations? Answer that question and you'll know who's really in charge of the country.

    Questions of good & evil aside, I don't think this is an effective form of government in the long run.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    Good insight from Dando, no one can work without the contribution the support of other honest and competent people of great integrity. Whoever they are, friends or family members...as long as the end is pushing the leadership up and common people can found their aspirations met.

    But, we've got to to concede that there  are some democratics principles that should be included into the dictatorship to get feedback from people and we've got to accept that there is also a fact that sometime admistrative dictatorship is needed to get things done. To much red tapes can hamper a leader to achieve her or his agenda.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    "its still called communism"

    That's like saying farm subsidies are capitalist policies simply because it is a policy in capitalist America.  Read and think before you barge in and change the subject, son.

  • Simen Wangberg

    "THE BEIJING SITUATION COMETH TO THE TIANJIN POLUTED SHORE"

    Godfuckingdamnit. I moved to China to get away from this kind of bullshit. This reminds me of the first time I saw some dickhole with a popped collar in Wudaokou. EFFFFFFFF.

  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    Cowboy X, if you are poor by American standards you live in a 60 sqm flat and have an old car.
    If you are poor by Chinese standards, you share a single 15 sqm room with five other people and have old shoes that you walk to the bus stop with.
    I would opine that China is only livable if you are rich.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    "History has proven some brand of socialism provides the highest quality of life for the greatest number of people. The question remains exactly what policies are right. USA is already more socialist than China in many ways."

    THIS THIS THIS A MILLION TIMES THIS. Jane +1

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    "History has proven some brand of socialism provides the highest quality of life for the greatest number of people. The question remains exactly what policies are right. USA is already more socialist than China in many ways."

    As much as I agree with that history has proven some brand of socialism provides the highest quality of life for the greatest number of people, I don't agree that US is using more of those "Brands".

    Look at how the health care is repealed by the republicans who took over the lower house...I just wonder what republicans are doing  is just a lack of learning in college?

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Brands? Cheeky. Fact is that although America is ideologically capitalist, the reality is that New Deal social investments and public works programs rescued her from the Great Depression and enabled rapid economic growth after the second World War. (in b4 wingnut teabag revisionists claiming FDR lengthened/worsened the Great Depression.) By the way, the healthcare repeal vote was merely symbolic. It won't pass in the Senate, and even if it did, it'd get vetoed by Obama, hen kuai.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

    "By the way, the healthcare repeal vote was merely symbolic."

    Symbolic of a deep-seated commitment to faggotry? (Which has nothing to do with homosexuality, in case you missed the last season of South Park.)

  • Simen Wangberg

    This article pretty neatly sums up why an authoritarian economic system with capitalist characteristics is rocking so hard:

    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2043235,00.html

    America: where everyone is free...to be unemployed and broke. WOMP

     

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Shadow, I'm eager to hear more about your opinion. You mentioned in another thread that you were from Russia. Most of the people I have met from post-Soviet states take a very dim view of communism. Why do you think this way?

    I'm from the USA and I am a socialist, in case you could not be bothered to read my long-winded rants upstairs.

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Shadow,

    I can see that. What about political freedoms?

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    @ Shadow Ofcourse i like Chinese Communism more then Russian one..coz of developed economy..

    That's a good statement, China have done amazing things and no one  is questioning the economy growth this country have made in human history. My own worry is that if things keep the same trend the way they are now, that's not gonna be good.

    Since 6 years, people's salary have never really gone up comparatively with prices of goods on market place. Some places, a sq meter was 2000rmb 6 years ago, and now, it's 12 times that price. Health care becomes unaffordable for common people, education has some bias as the education minister stated sometime ago...

    I do think, Chinese economy has got out of hands, working families are finding it too hard to make a living and the what's gonna come next, is anybody's guess. But for my guess, it's can lead to a social unrest. See what's going on in the Arabe world? Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Iran, Lybia,...Some analyst say Russia and China prevent this by taking some steps...

    Dando__I'm from the USA and I am a socialist: How did u surve in the US without being stonned?:)

    High Priest

  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

    Believe me Desmond. I get stoned wherever I go.

  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

    You've chose a righ refuge, comme bk to China please, we still need you:)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc