Discussion » Nonsense » What Do You Really Want from Us?

• 琪琪
    琪琪 wrote:
    <p>&nbsp;the following poem is said to be very popular online recently. It is said to be created by a Chinese American, a retired professor, but someone said he is a Chinese British??? Whoever he is, what do you think about this poem?</p> <p>When we were the sick man of Asia, we were called the yellow peril.</p> <p>When we are billed to be the next superpower, we are called the threat.</p> <p>When we closed our doors, you smuggled drugs to open markets.</p> <p>When we embrace free trade, you blame us for taking away your jobs.</p> <p>When we were falling apart, you marched in your troops and wanted your fair share.</p> <p>&nbsp;When we tried to put the broken pieces back together again, free Tibet you screamed, It was an invasion!</p> <p>When tried communism, you hated us for being communist.</p> <p>When we embrace capitalism, you hate us for being capitalist.</p> <p>When we have a billion people, you said we were destroying the planet.</p> <p>When we tried limiting our numbers, you said we abused human rights.</p> <p>When we were poor, you thought we were dogs.</p> <p>When we loan you cash, you blame us for your national debts.</p> <p>When we build our industries, you call us polluters.</p> <p>When we sell you goods, you blame us for global warming.</p> <p>When we buy oil, you call it exploitation and genocide.</p> <p>When you go to war for oil, you call it liberation.</p> <p>When we were lost in chaos and rampage, you demanded rules of law.</p> <p>When we uphold law and order against violence, you call it violating human rights.</p> <p>&nbsp;When we were silent, you said you wanted us to have free speech.</p> <p>When we are silent no more, you say we are brainwashed-xenophobes.</p> <p>&ldquo;Why do you hate us so much﹖&rdquo;we asked. &ldquo;No,&rdquo; you answered, &ldquo;we don't hate you.&rdquo;</p> <p>We don't hate you either, but, do you understand us?</p> <p>&ldquo;Of course we do, &rdquo;you said, &ldquo;We have AFP, CNN and BBC's &hellip;&hellip;&rdquo;</p> <p>What do you really want from us? Think hard first, then answer, Because you only get so many chances.</p> <p>Enough is enough, enough hypocrisy for this one world. We want one world, one dream, and peace on earth. This big blue earth is big enough for all of us.</p>
  • Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:
    classic~hh...
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Really though, the way this poem was written shows why the problem can never be resolved just as much as it shows the problem. People always think in the terms of "us" and "them". That's not going to change any time soon.

• Stine Ekren
    Stine Ekren wrote:
    "When we were silent, you said you wanted us to have free speech."
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Meismology conscept but here in a majestic way. Each people would like to be known and praised. But often times this end up with pride. But nway, China is on the way, let see if China can rule the world. Can they?

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

maybe it is smart, but it does just make things 'us' and 'them' and really not much of a poem, maybe more like a short prose

• Simen Wangberg

"Really though, the way this poem was written shows why the problem can never be resolved just as much as it shows the problem. People always think in the terms of 'us' and 'them'."

This.

Did anyone catch the ad that some American right-wing Tea Party-ish group ran awhile back, where it shows the Chinese professor lecturing his students, talking about how America failed cos its government got too big or whatever? That was hilarious.

"China is on the way, let see if China can rule the world. Can they?"

Also has high potential for hilarity. Yeah, I'd like to see what would/will happen if/when China becomes the world's leading superpower.

table.cnt,tr.cnt,td.cnt,tbody.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,p.pyl {border:0 none;border-top:0;border-right:0;border-bottom:0;border-left:0;padding:0px; margin:0px;font-family:Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:16px; font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;line-height:normal;}table.cnt,td.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl,sup.pyl,a.pyl,p.pyl {color:black;background:#F9F9F9;text-decoration: none;}a.pyl:hover{text-decoration: underline;}table.cnt,div.pyl,pre.pyl {width:auto;}pre.pyl,div.pyl {overflow:visible;}div.pyl {position: relative; float: left; padding-left: 3px; padding-right: 3px; height: 55px;}
    guān yú
    關於1
    1.關於 {guān yú} thereof, thereon; respect, centre, center, pertain
    </div
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I remember that advert. A+ to whoever came up with that idea. Who doesn't love a foreign (and ideological) boogeyman?

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Whatever.

This "poem" stems from a typical overriding factor in Chinese politics today: the complete inability to take criticism.  If China doesn't want all this shit dumped on it, then it shouldn't get so damn rich and powerful and important.  When you're weak and worthless, no one writes articles in the New York Times talking shit about you.  When you're important and powerful and rich, you're gonna take a lot of shit.  Welcome to the party China, it's not going to get any better.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

This has been a thread here before. I like it, but the potential for criticism needs no mention.

The main thing is, why on earth should "we" care what "you" think in the first place? “we" should only do what makes sense for the sustainability of our lives on the planet.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

That reads like it was written by one of those 14-year-old children on anti-cn.com.

There's a response from a China expert out there somewhere who bothered to take the time but really looking for holes in that "poem" is like looking for holes in Swiss cheese.

• Rune
    Rune wrote:

I want you to STOP GIVING ME THAT GODDAMN HANDWAVE when i try to talk to you in Mix.

• Simen Wangberg

Bahahaha. An honest and hilarious retort. I love it. Don't even try to talk next time, just walk up and start air-humping in your target's general vicinity.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

yeah, I noticed that too... it's really bugging me.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

@ 莫明 , you've just answered your own hypothetical question. We should listen to each other sometimes before we are declared as spontaneous combustibles(Gov approved).

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

i want from you..... stop work for down wages !!! all the western companies are going to look for slaves here, huh what happen with te our workers?? who will fuck us in our countries?? china steals our slavemasters 

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Find another job brother or make your best attempt at gaining skills because just like you I'm only a brother. Still, I do my part to change what needs to be. Yeah it sucks but lets man up,do something like real men would.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.