Discussion » Nonsense » Updates January 13, 2011

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Happy Late New Year!

Oh man we've been busy...!

In November, we finished Milestone 1 for our Admin panel, which probably isn't that exciting for anyone here.Once that was done, we started on a longed after cleanup of the entire frontend on this site, meaning everything you see visually on your screen.

Here's somewhat of a summary (some tech lingo here):

• Removed a LOT of old stuff that just bloated the project
    • Changed more or less all markup into a new css/xhtml tempalte. Less code = faster and smaller risk for things breaking.
    • A bunch of JS cleanup, phasing out remains of PrototypeJS and changing everything to pure JS or jQuery. Will in the end save some extra bytes
    • Images are now generated on the fly, meaning we only need to store the original file. Any size can be created from the original.
    • A lot of user experience tweaks.
    • TextEditor (the editor for posting e.g. forum threads) has been properly configured, and now uses the same config everywhere it's used. I'll add a photo to this post to make sure it's image component works fine.
    • Passport login, meaning you can switch between the sites in our network (weliveindalian.com, weliveinshanghai.net and more to come) without signing out and in again. The remember me finally works as it should too.
    • A whole lot of random tweaks and bugfixes. I really don't have everything in my head right now.

What might break ( please let us know if you find something :)

• Language translations for all languages except English. Fluent in other languages? Feel free to contribute on the translationwork. Send me a private message :)
    • Styles at certain pages might break.
    • JavaScript or other errors. If this happens, let us know ASAP please :-)

What's next

• Classifieds listings.
    • New "Contacts/Friends" pages
    • New "Private Message" pages
    • New Front page
    • Further tweaks and optimalization.

Thin that's it :-) I'll add more further down this thread if I find that I missed anything.

Image test: Me hung over with a funny hat from The House :P

Cheers!

Ole Marius & the Development Team

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

.....and fixed some style issues and posting bug at the forum :-)

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

wow.. thanks Marius. 

would there be a day you twins do not drink?..Cute pic tho...:P

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    does the style issue mean we can spam punctuation now? &&&&&
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha .... play time:

~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={}[]|\:";'<>,.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    noooo! what the hell is & anyway? it's the one I see the most.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it is the "ampersand" sign that you had typed (and correctly displayed) earlier ... for some reason, it does not work for me ... and when I wrote Jenny&King, I needed to write Jenny+King ...

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    & &
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:
    hmmmm, that busts my theory. I thought that the chinese character set and the roman character set might have used different ampersands. There should just be full blown unicode support for the forums, but maybe that's not possible because it would need some heavy duty bottom up rewriting.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... not into theory of any kind, but let's try these ...

~·!@#¥%……&*()——+-=

{}|【】、

:“;‘

《》?,。、

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

Obviously, some Chinese "symbol" is STILL not working like before ...

• Grace Han
    Grace Han wrote:

Love that hat!!

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    yeap still need to fix this site ,make it better.
  • Joakim Lund Rangel

alright, & and shit works :)

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:
    Stephanie ^^ hehe u r so funny according to this picture ,i think they can work or work better when they r even drunk hahahahahha
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Joakim ... Ole ...

Nothing personal, but in the dark ages, we often made changes AFTER consulting with some (or one) users, otherwise, we leave it untouched, except fixing bugs, but even with bugs, we would inform the users ...

So, just out of plain curiosity, WHY ARE YOU GUYS NOT PRACTISING THIS?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Let's be honest though. There are four people bitching on the forums when changes are made and that's it.

Nice to see symbols working though.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

叮噹: This is more about cleaning up what we have, and get rid of all things that is not necessary to have. Re-use code (aka "DRY"), end up with ONE js library, jQuery, instead of both jQuery and PrototypeJS + normal JS. I'm also applying modular pattern to the JS, making things a lot cleaner and easier to mantain. 

Before this cleanup, things were VERY messy on the frontend. I learned jQuery in a couple of month, googled like a maniac on best practices and is still looking for how to optimize, tweak and organize functions across the site. Not only for WLIB - I have to think about the platform WLIB is built on, which we built from scratch, and everything should be modular and load according to what is turned on or off from the admin so the client side doesnt get bloated with a bunch of widgets/features that is not active. 

So why didn't we consult with a bunch of users? Because this was a must-do milestone, which I am fully aware that would probably break a bunch of things, but that's a low price for the great base we're ending up with - especially when we can fix most of the broken things just days after deploying. 

We're determined to kill 'em all, working about 15 hours a day these days :-) And in addition on a parallel run, we're getting ready to launch some brand new features that I think many will like :) 

Peace!

• Micky
    Micky wrote:
    Before the "Brand new features" which you think many will like, friendly suggestion is that you keep us afloat till the next one feasible... Peace ..
  • Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Well, I understand that this website needs financial support, but I just wanna say I probably won't pay 0.99 USD for a WLIB app and I doubt if anyone here will. So maybe an I HEART WLIB charity dinner would raise more money for you guys. I like this website by the way.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Ole ... too much 21st (or 22nd?) century techie stuff, let's talk Pascal and VIsual Basic, ok?

As far as "cleaning up" is concerned, hahahaha, where could (and should) I start?

I was mightily disappointed a few months ago, when one of Pierre's thread was "taken out" after I have used it to list about a dozen or so of bugs and issues with this sites ... some with screen dumps too ... and then, I realized with a shock that this is China, so WLIB played the Chinese rules, i.e. removed the reports instead of facing the issues ...

Hahahaha ... the speech of "because this was a must-do milestone" is so, so, so "Chinese reform" ... yes, I think most of us (even brainless wonder like myself) can understand the concept of "little prize to pay for the greater good of mankind" (or something like that), but, again, it would be nice if we were informed, or rather "warned", and also more thorough testing is really not too much to ask for ...

... and excuse my stupidity, not sure what all these wonderful work had fixed, but, you had surely missed the "guestbook" issue, and as usual, brought out some new ones ... I can only hope that this is truly worth it, and this is (hopefully) the last time we will see any major changes ...

And similar to what Xiao said ... are you sure that MANY will like these new features? A stab in the dark if I may ... but if they are going to break other things in a big way, well, surely, your definition of MANY is perhaps only a very, very small number?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.