Discussion » Beijing Life » Train Tickets

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I'm told that to buy train tickets at the moments, you can not buy them until 5 days before you go.

Is this true, I am getting a lot of different information on this, does anyone now the situation?

I intend to go to Guangdong in about 10 days time.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Are Z the sleeper ones?

Man... buying train tickets in China is not fun. I really hate it. I wish I could just book online months in advance like anywhere else.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Kieran ... I was going to say all those crap that China is all about "fairness", and since a lot of those people who need these tickets cannot afford computers or know how to use them, advance online booking is really "unfair" to them ...

... but then, when I realise that the word "fairness" is a HUGE contradiction, I feel like an idiot ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... or start walking ... Carlos, if you leave now, you could perhaps make it to Guangdong before CNY ...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I finally got the train ticket; I go to Guangdong this week. I have a STANDING ticket.

So, yes, I am insane.

• Simen Stensvoll

congratulations

• Simen Wangberg

I guess maybe it's worse this year, but I remember last year I bought a sleeper ticket to Kowloon about two, maybe three weeks before the holiday actually started. I didn't have to wait in line or anything, just went to this tiny ticketing office near Huixinxijie Nankou subway station.

I guess no one ever wants to go to Hong Kong around this time of year? Dunno guys. Good luck.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... HK has different atmosphere than China or Beijing during CNY ... if anyone has not been before, I do suggest giving it a try ... at least, it has far less people than Beijing ...

By the way, Carlos, be careful when you are in GZ, there was an unusually large crowd stuck in the station in 2009 (or 2008?), and a few people was injured (some died) when they fell on the ground ...

• Simen Wangberg

No way. HK fucking blows during 春节. Actually, I happen to believe it blows all of the time, unless you love COPY WATCH and paying way too much for...everything. Living in Beijing has made me a cheap, cheap bastard.

It's definitely quiet there during the holiday though, you got that right.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Carlos, have you never been on a train in China? I can't imagine that anyone with 1k rmb to their name would take a non D or Z train more than once.. certainly not during the new year ruch, and especially not a standing ticket.

scalp it and buy a plane ticket.

• Daniel Westerberg

5 or 10 days depends on what kind of ticket.

The soft bed tickets can be bought 10 days before and the hard beds 5 days before departure date. Atleast that is what the ticket sales person at our local "train ticket shop" tells me.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Yeah, have been on several trains, hardcore train travel is a bit of weird hobby of mine.

Looks, like I am going to be standing for 20 hours in the freezing cold, drinking Baijiu with migrant workers. Hopefully, I will live...

• SCOTT Wong
    SCOTT Wong wrote:

some days ago, i was waiting to buy tickets before the windows . a foreigner  spent more than 3hours to buy one for his China  friend~~it is best kindness i saw from foreigners...

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

perhaps it was for a girl.

personally, i feel a bit bad for those who must take a train during the holidays.

its overcrowded, difficult to even sit down, get a ticket and just plain difficult to travel during chun jie.

Planes dude. planes

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.