Discussion » Employment Opportunities » Salary in China

• Me In Beijing 2.0
    Me In Beijing 2.0 wrote:

How much is a salary for a blue color worker in Beijing? Someone who works in KFC for example

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

i guess 2000 RMB? maybe i m wrong.

it depends if they provide a place to live or not i guess. KFC maybe pay a lot better then average.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I think average is 1000/mo. Average for adult college graduates is 4000/mo. Webslave is probably right about KFC. My numbers might be a little old.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

i think Beijing City Administration just raised the minimum salary from ca. 600 to now 1000 RMB/mo. Plus many company differ between the fixed basic salery and the additional premium (奖金) which can vary tremendously depending on how hard you work or how productive you are. That's why i guess it must be about 2000 RMB, some of my neighbours are working at staat-owned companies as normal blue collars and about 2000 RMB is what they make each month.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dan ... other than KFC, do you have any specific "blue collar" workers in mind?

As of June 2010, the new Beijing standard for minimum wage is 960RMB, but then, this is regulation, and the general mentality is that not everyone obeys it ...

I had found a few different answers for what KFC (Beijing) pays, so I am not going to confuse you, but I did find a regulation which says that the (minimum) hourly rate for temps are 7.9RMB per hour ...

If you are in Beijing, or know someone in Beijing, it is not difficult to spot "recruitment posters" outside restaurants (esp new ones) and fast food places, and like Webslave and 莫明 wrote, the usual range should be from 1500 to 3000 per month ...

• Jenelyn Tambago

8.6 rmb and hour...got info from a cooker...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dan ... it is, but even then, your agent had been badly ripped off or lying ... one of the agents I met in 06, around the West 2 ring area, a nice friendly guy, told us he got about 3000 per month ...

• Jenelyn Tambago

hahahaha yes, i know one makes 2500-3000...maybe she told u that so u give her a bonus...or she was too lazy!

• Daniel Westerberg

Guess it depends on what work you are talking about, a delivery company "driver" (you know, the ones that rides a small mc and deliver the stuff you bought from taobao) is a "blue collar" worker (god I hate that collar shit..) and these guys may have a shitty base sallary, but they also get commision for all packages they pickup for delivery, so some of them may make as much as 10~15 000 rmb a month.

• Simen Wangberg

"but they also get commision for all packages they pickup for delivery, so some of them may make as much as 10~15 000 rmb a month."

Got an extra zero in there? I don't doubt that these guys hustle and deliver a lot of packages, but 10-15k seems like a lot. You'd think they would drive nicer bikes, if that was the case.

Average salary for a foreigner...yeah, depends what you're doing and your qualifications and shit. 6 to 8k sounds about right I guess, but everyone that I know that works full-time is pulling down at least 9 to 10k a month.

The folks out in the expat bubble are getting something ridiculous, like 80-100k/month, but they're here with massive international companies that take care of their kids' education, put them up in a fancyass Western-style house, etc.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... which is why, my advice for people not too happy with their current situation is to head home, find a job with someone who has great interest in China, and if you have some local experience or speak the lingo, you are likely to be picked and shipped back as expat and live in the rich-folks area :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

If there are foreigners in Beijing making 6-8k/mo, then I assume they are foreigners from third world countries...

A safe flat at just 60 sqm would cost 4000 a month. Who would spend half his/her money on rent? Only someone who thinks it's great to save 1000 rmb per month, right?

By contrast, a Mcdonalds worker in the US would make 7000 RMB per month, and pay 4000 for rent. Cost of food would be a little higher, but he'd save a lot of money on plane tickets and education :-p

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 60 sq m for 4000 per month? That's a ripoff for sure ... unless, it is among the rich-men area?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Where else would you want to live? Sure you could go to tongzhou and buy a hosue like the poor immigrants (90%? of people), or get 100 sqm in a 1930's apt for the same price, but it wouldn't be very pleasant. Personally I'd pick a new American flat and a job ad mickey D's.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... "poor immigrants" probably cant afford Tongzhou now?

Were we talking about buying or renting? I dont pay much, if any, attention to the buying/selling market, but there are certainly apartments cheaper than what you said ... we had been paying around 4500 per month for the last 4 years, in 100sq m apartments, though we had to move a little bit up north from Legent :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Renting. I don't consider the speculative real-estate bubble except as it figures into my decision not to invest in China until it breaks. The rental market gives the real value of housing in Beijing.

What area are you thinking of? 富力城 would be a stretch at 4500, I think. 苹果社区 would be between 3 and 4k, at opposite ends of the 装修 spectrum. Inside the North/central thrid ring though, I would say it must be hard to get any new place for under 3k, even as small as 40 sqm.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

We were staying at Legent for two years, originally 4500, then raised to 5000, but due to change of job, we decided to look along Line 5 ...

The area around New World was shockingly expensive, considering the surrounding neighbourhood, so we looked north and ended up at Da Tun, and found one at 4100 (originally asking for 4500), after one year, the landlord raised it to 5000, so we moved next door to an older but brighter one for 4500, recently raised to 5200 ...

We did not like 富力城, as for PingGuo, I doubt you can find one less than four or five per month these days!

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Dan, how many square meters? That sounds like double the price I would expect for a 1-2 room place around there.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dan ... how is the direction and usability?

• Maxxy
    Maxxy wrote:
    I'm not sure about average income for chinese blue collars, yet i know a contracted blue collar in china's petro industry can make around 10k rmb per month easily
  • G
    G wrote:

Well, most ppl make 2k-10k per month. But most ppl who visit this website, I guess, earn over 10k per month. Salary depends on which industry he/she works at and what level of position he/she holds in a company. It can range from 10k to more than 300k per month.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

莫明 wrote: "Who would spend half his/her money on rent? Only someone who thinks it's great to save 1000 rmb per month, right?"

Oh man.  Truly asked like someone who has never lived in Manhattan in their 20's.  Ten years ago everyone I knew spent half their salary on rent.  :)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Yeah Ethan, but they are saving 30,000 RMB a month despite that. Would they do it if they were then only able to save 1000 RMB per month? While working 80 hour weeks? I think they would stay in Jersey.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... since I only drove past Manhattan once in 2000 (in fact, I was not driving that particular hour), I know zip about it ... so, anyway ...

About the earlier chat of renting Vs selling ... I was doing some real estate course in Australia (yes, I was deparate for money), and I was told that a healthy economy is one that rental income equates to above 4% of the property value ...

If that is true, not that I am saying that it is ... let's say, for a 20k per sqm (which is not up market), 80 m apartment in BJ, that works out to be 1.6m, and for a 4% rental income, that works out to be 64k per year or about 5k per month!

So, again, not that I think the 4% theory is true, but if BJ (or China) economy is good, then most of us should be paying more rent than what we are paying now ...

Scarry! (or Scary?) ... hahahaha ...

• Daniel Westerberg

@mike, no, no extra zero, but as I said, "some" of them make that kind of money. Guess it depends on what district you work in. Let's say the guy works in a an area with 20 Taobao shopowners in it, and he gets 1 rmb extra per delivery he picks up, to reach 10k bonus in one month is not that hard to picture. (the appartment complexes in this town can be pretty darn big)

@叮噹叔叔 (妇协杂工), the housing market in BJ is scary, the prices change every week and it's not small price changes we are talking about. Our appartment has had the price tag from 6800 rmb / sqm up to 33 000 rmb / sqm during the last year. the only thing that seems to remain the same is the rental prices, but I guess that is because you usually sign the contracts for 1 year at a time and the base income dosn't change with the property values or something like that, I'm not so into this whole property market economy thingy..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Daniel, it is only scarry if you are planning to buy one as first home (but have not bought one yet), or holding onto one (or a few) but cannot sell them ... if you have already bought one, or just playing general tenants, then it is really not that relevant :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.