Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » So dear 外國朋友:how did you learn Chinese?

• 琪琪
    琪琪 wrote:

Just had this question from readin the discussion about PIN YIN. Forgive me if this has been discussed before, just very curious to know.

And thanks for sharing your funny and torturing experience with our language!

^_^

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Well I took the bait so ............

I've learned the little I know from being inquisitive and through my collegiate environment.Yet, there is so much for me to learn .I'm like a elementary student with someone throwing lunch at the back of my head while I'm picking my contribution to the ear hole. Eventhough , in the great words of Nike "Just do it"?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... since I am technically a "foreigner" ... I learnt it since I was 3 or 4 years old, from school and family :)

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

lots and lots of books and lots and lots of talking while paying attention to how the other person is talking

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

oh, and flashcards

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I learned it exclusively from KTV girls, like most of the other foreign guys. I can't write any characters, but I can say "taoyan", "ni hen piaoliang", and "duo shao qian".

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I don't even know what taoyan means... I need to spend more time at KTV's it seems

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Kieran, you just need to hand out more with Chinese girls, then you might have the opp to hear they say "taoyan" to you ...

莫明 ... how much did you have to pay at these places to learn Chinese?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

QQ, I've said it before, I am not good looking enough to be called MM. Anyway, like all the guys who learn their Chinese from KTV girls, my numerous STDs and incredible lack of responsibility prevent me from having a real girlfriend.

Come to think of it, Uncle D is probably A cup at best, so I really shouldn't call him double D either.

Ok, in all seriousness, I went to a school, and learned from talking with my classmates and roommates. Also, whether you believe it or not, I lived in China for 2 years before I knew that some KTV were in fact brothels and that it didn't mean karaoke. Obviously, I wasn't getting out enough those first 2 years...

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

哈哈哈哈 琪琪。。you are right... "tao yan" from a guy? ewwww..... 

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

莫名,you don't want to say taoyan to a KTV girl, haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 琪琪 ... the topic is about learning Chinese, and as far back I can remember, I started learning Chinese (Cantonese) when I was about 3? As for Mandarin, I picked it up along the way from Taiwanese songs and movies, because they were popular in Hong Kong in the 70's ...

莫明 ... hahaha ... my "chest size" is not the topic of discussion here, but since you brought it up, let's just say that my stomach is not quite noticeable as before ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

C'mon guys, I'm doing my best to envision a conversation between a foreign guy and a ktv girl.

鬼佬:ni hen piaoliang.

KTV:你很讨厌

鬼佬:duo shao qian?

KTV: 这又不是那种KTV! 讨厌!

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

hahaha, 看来你是老手了,不错不错:D

• Simen Stensvoll

KTV girl: 哇..你胸好大啊!

ming:ni taoyan~!(双手护胸--)

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

minimy, you lost me... (how can I say that in Chinese?)

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

awwwww.... that's really gay... lol....

• Simen Stensvoll

莫明,你胸真的好大哟

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

are you hitting on me?

• Simen Stensvoll

no

i would like to hit those guys whose boobs are bigger than mine

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Are you sure I'm bigger? We should compare sometime.

• Simen Stensvoll
    ur bigger in the pic
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

It's sometimes hard to tell from pictures. To be sure, you should send me a picture of you so I can compare.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

qiqi, no need to imagine - check my photo album. Next to the sporkulum.

你需要服务吗?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

@琪琪:

Yeah, I have a book from the PKU press that has 老子 in English, pinyin and characters. It's useful.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

seriously,i clicked this thread to find out how foreigners learn chinese,but somehow in the end,i got lost ,what's topic of this thread again?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... entertainment business and KTV ... ???

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

but i just learnt from moming the KTV concept,never heard about it,moming do u mind elaborating it more?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

I don't actually remember what the discussion was about, although I can see I was trying to get Minimy to show me her boobs (wow, I've been at it all week).

Which concept did I need to explain? That some KTVs are actually brothels, or that foreign "clients" of those brothels would learn Chinese from the KTV girls, but it would be vulger?

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

the first part

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I studied on my own from thr book used by foreign students at Fudan University. I also learned reading and writing from the 250 Essential Chartacters book. Spending a lot of time on QQ talking to girls who don''t speak English and having a Chinese colleague has helped me retain a lot of stuff I probably wou;ld have otherwise forgotten as I struggle to learn enough Thai to at least sustain a conversation on a date.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ok, some KTV's are actually brothels. Is that clear enough?

From my understanding (the guys who go to these love to talk about going to these), you go in and pick a girl(s) to sing with you, as do your friends. You pay just for the girl's company, and negotiate seperately with the girl for "additional services". These are not the KTVs you are familiar with like 錢櫃 and 麥樂迪, but shitty Karaoke places far from the city.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

そですね...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

えん、そうです!お休み。

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.