Discussion » Nonsense » China to block Skype

• Giselle
    Giselle wrote:

According to Chinese media, the country’s Ministry of Information and Industry Technology will seek to block Western VoIP providers.

The aim is apparently to safeguard existing Chinese telecoms operators, not least China Telecom and China Unicom, against low-cost outside competition.

However, some people have suggested the news is simply part of increasingly aggressive censorship of the internet by Chinese authorities.

Last year internet giants Facebook.com and Youtube.com were blocked by Chinese officials, joining a tally of major portals also blocked, such as Twitter and Flickr.

Last year also saw Google go head to head against Chinese authorities, ostensibly in response to an alleged GMail hack from within China. The search giant already self-censored its search results for Chinese users.

While the new announcement did not specifically mention any carriers by name, Skype is particularly believed to be implicated in the announced ban on VoIP due to its extensive worldwide use.

There remain few details at present as to what, if any, measure will be put in place by China’s Ministry of Information and Industry Technology, let alone a date.

To some the moves on censoring internet access will seem contrary for a country which has become increasingly open to visitors and economic reform, yet has also become increasingly restrictive on how its users access content online.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Skype has a clean track record of actively cooperating with the Chinese government, so if anyone is still wondering whether security or money is the main reason for the Great Firewall, here's your answer.

• Ejdnzlaj
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... back to the "dark ages" we go ... hopefully, I wont live long enough to witness this, and laugh about it :)

• 爱谁谁
    爱谁谁 wrote:
    oh no.
  • Micky
    Micky wrote:
    Its not a suprise to me... What is suprising is that one could read something informative here and not same old jargons...
  • Lise Eilertsen

Hey guys! WHO SAID using skype a lot???

Let's "watching CCTV!!!"

yoHooo~~~ ^ O ^..

• Bobo
    Bobo wrote:

what the government can do ? they can block skype but cant block the price of apartment going up 

• Garina Y
    Garina Y wrote:
    o....o
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

so how do they do this? will skype accounts still work if i'd use other alternatives instead skype? will they block any serverside communication related to skype server ip addresses?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Skype as we know it is and frequently has been blocked in China...

What can be downloaded in China is the TOM partner version, which is chock full of pop-up ads, spyware, and I don't doubt is specifically designed for the govt. listening technologies. You would need a proxy to download the non TOM version of the skype downloader, and it wouldn't be able to actually download the software without going through a proxy.

TOM owner is a huge friend to the party, and I don't think TOM Skype will be blocked any time soon.

Years ago I had lots of trouble getting any communication on normal skype ports. I downloaded the TOM version and had much better results. Now the technology has been improved to block anyone from getting the non TOM versions, so maybe it's less necessary to block those communications. (This would have the benefit that foreign visitors wouldn't realize everything around them was censored).

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

yeah, i know about the TOM version. thats why i always use European versions. lets see what happends. damn, i will hate it.

• Grace Han
    Grace Han wrote:
    Fuck me! No Facebook, No Twitter, No YouTube, No Flickr, No Skype...where is this country heading?! SHAME!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:

Where is it heading? To a Chinese - made services market for everything that those foreign company's  provide!

Of course, all WTO states should promptly boycott the equivalent Chinese services. Maybe we'll all end up using something made in HK as a compromise.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Grace ... hold that thought!

Like I had said (or hinted), to the dark ages we go, but perhaps for commercial reason, not political ... and if I remember correctly, China government is against protectionism? Right?

莫明 ... not much is made in Hong Kong these days, but if my guess is correct, in about 10 years, when it becomes too expensive to live in China, and more importantly, to run a factory in China, then people like Foxconn might move south, or even further?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

楼上的外国朋友,请打汉字或者起码写拼音。此论坛在中国,不支持外语。

嘻嘻嘻嘻

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

哈哈哈哈,莫明,要是用拼音,我也看不懂!

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

dingdang, wo xiangxin ruguo zheige wangzhan de neirong quan dou shi yong pinyin xiede, ni haishi kan de dong. Gou jiandan. 不过看让人很烦……最然这些简单的东西也能用拼音来表达,但是我也不肯看。

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

wǒ yǒu pīn yīn IME. hěn yǒu yòng

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

好像在WLIB我的拼音IME没有用……

ò

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

......what...aw... ok.... 

• Peter S 李贝勒

protectionism! and probably corruption...

we should looking for who will do $$$ with this decision, and ask how much did they buy the GVT...

• Peter S 李贝勒

protectionism! and probably corruption...

we should looking for who will do $$$ with this decision, and ask how much did they buy the GVT...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

哈哈哈哈哈!

莫明 。。。看了你(和其他人)写的拼音,一个字:累!

Pierre ... no one really pays the govt ... this is China, and the govt has probably got its fingers in everything ...

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Way to go mommyland!

• Jenelyn Tambago

Xiao...your mommyland sucks...
    If it wasnt for my gf i would be sitting on a plane already...good for turism...bad for living...

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

Buffalo...your mommyland is not that good either itself...

If it wasn't for my bf I would really love to visit a city where buildings over 10 floors are visually available.

• Jenelyn Tambago

at least mine can resist a 7.3 earthquake without have 300.000 people dead...
    thats a good building i would say...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Buffy ... be careful, Xiao could get very jealous of your GF ...

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

@Buffalo

Living in a city where roofs are 1cm over the top of my head is not much better than dying in an earthquake after all.

@Uncle DD

Very wise comment!

• Jenelyn Tambago

i can see how much is the value of life to you. And by the way---Thats what we call a HOUSE...huge ones with swimming pool and a f*** yard...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Xiao ... leave the poor guy alone!

He is so so so in love with his GF that it made me sick when we had Christmas dinner at Friday's ... but they do look like the very ypung version of me and wife ...

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

If by owning a house you mean losing the concept of buildings over 10 floors, then no, I'd rather not have a house.

You have a swimming pool in the shape of a kidney by the way.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

@Uncle DD

Hahahaha they actually made you sick? I kinda liked them... =P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... "sick" because they reminded us of us ... but I do hope to be invited to their engagement if I live long enough ... maybe even their wedding, and first baby shower (and more?) ...

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

@琪琪

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/10274-pinyinput-type-pinyin-with-tone-marks/

• Notoro Kawabata

oh great my postcards doesn't have an expiration date !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbiotico/4175352745/

XD

• Lise Eilertsen

Actually you can still call on anyone who is also online,and pick up mobile phone from skype calling abroad....

Just in case you wont misunderstand sth. on "block". :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.