Discussion » Beijing Life » Monthly Expenditure

• 马克
    马克 wrote:

How much do you spend in a month? these days makes me feel that i am spending alot. i wonder if rest of you are in same sea...!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 马克 ... have you been keeping track of your expense?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

I guess everyone spend a little more during xmas holiday... Anyways, there's a lot of ways to save money. My main expense before was ordering food all the time. It's a lot cheaper if you go to San Yuan Li market and buy chicken filets and stuff there and make food yourself. You can get 10 kilos of chicken for less than 200rmb, and it'll last for weeks! Also, buy stuff at chinese supermarkets, not expensive import shops like April Gourmet and Jenny Lou's. A pack of tortilla wraps cost 20rmb at April, and if you make it wraps yourself, you can probably get away with just a few rmb for 1 kilo of wraps. You will have to sacrifice a little bit of time though... But hey, at least i'm not telling you to cut down on the party budget!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... the "lion" is asleep, so I had a look at our December expense ...

Ignoring the once-off items and the monthly "family allowance", it works out to be a little over 5000 RMB for Dec (similar for November) and that includes grocery (vege market and supermarkets), newspaper and books, coffee with friends and all dining out ...

Like what Kent said, Carrefour (and others) tend to be cheaper than Jenny Lou's, though there are exceptions ... it is not news that I like to cook, and also that I like a piece of bloody steak fillet once in a while, and last I checked (two years ago), steak fillet cost 200 per kg at Carrefour of Da Wang Lu, whereas it was 88 per kg at Jenny Lou's (but it is now 98 per kg) ...

So, do your homework, and walk/shop a bit more to find a good price and/or alternatives, also, the recording thing might seem a bit tedious at first, but once you make it a habit, it is just a routine like taking off your shoes when you go home ... refer to the other thread if you want :)

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

about 10k

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you guys are rich ...

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I tend to spend around 2000 a month, but I'm frugal and always saving up for something.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

Kieran, why are you up so early?!

• Linda Marie Hylander

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.