Discussion » Music » Any one knows some rock party for the new year?

• Yang
    Yang wrote:
    So far I only find 崔健's rock party, is there something more exciting? I prefer international one, or mixed one, rather than individual concert. Thanks!
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

Midi Music Awards 2010 at Star Live with many nomminated bands playing live.

Carsick Cars and others at D22

Free The Brid, Re-Tros etc. at 2Kolegas

Happy Avenue at MAO

see more in here:
    http://www.beijinggigguide.com/en/

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Damn, I really want to see Carsick Cars at some point.

• Simen Wangberg

"Damn, I really want to see Carsick Cars at some point."

Too late to see them with their original lineup, but I don't know if that matters much, as their main writer is still in the band. This New Years show is their very first show with the new lineup, so that might be cool (and crowded).

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Who has been replaced? To be honest, it was the really Sonic Youthy stuff from their first album I wanted to see. The second album was cool, but I'm not as into Modest Mouse as Sonic Youth

• Simen Wangberg

I think their bassist and drummer bailed - those folks are also in Soviet Pop and Snapline, and it sounded like they wanted more time to focus on those.

The guy that's still in there, Shouwang - his side project White+ is a little closer to the noise rock kinda stuff, but he only does shows with them every once in a blue moon, I guess. I still haven't seen 'em.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I saw White here in the UK. The girl Shenggy (ex-Hang on the Box) lives in London so I think it's basically impossible for them to play much. They were incredible though. Dissapointingly brief but really, really great. I saw Shouwang (I think, him or someone else from Carsick Cars. Didn't register the name totally) on his own though with a synth and some other boxes and wasn't that impressed. I'm heavily into noise/industrial/whatever but it was a bit lacking. Torturing Nurse are one to see if you ever get the chance. Easily the best live noise act I've ever seen by a long, LONG shot. So fun to watch. They get so into it instead of just blank faced, hunched over knob twiddling.

• Simen Wangberg

Oh word, I had no idea one of the members was from the UK. That's a pretty common complaint of noise/experimental acts here, or maybe even anywhere - most of them don't really bring any kind of performance aspect to it, and with that kind of music it's sort of like...you don't have to do that, but who wants to stand around and watch a guy putz around with his pedalboard for 45 minutes.

I like all that crap too, but I just get bored if that's all there is to it. Hot & Cold do a pretty awesome job of making it interesting to watch, but I don't remember the last time I saw them on a bill around here. I think they do the weekly experimental music night at D22 from time to time, but I'm not sure.

Torturing Nurse is from Shanghai, I think? I read about them at some point earlier in the year, but I don't know if they've made it to Beijing since then. They sounded pretty dope as well.

"How's the set up in the place "star live"... not been there"

I haven't been either, but I know a lot of the bigger international rock acts usually choose to play there when they roll into town. I heard the sound is decent - unless you're Ghostface Killah, I guess.

• Dan
    Dan wrote:

There's also a show with the Dancers at some place called The One.

Carsick Cars actually had their first show with the new line-up a couple weeks ago at a secret show at What Bar.

Star Live has a pretty big stage, bars in the back, tables take up almost all the floor space, and there's a small space to stand and watch bands in the front. I think there will possibly be even more tables tonight, as it's the MIDI awards and probably many elder statesmen sitting and taking everything in.

Oh, and White is still around, and plays pretty often. The duo now consists of Shouwang and Wang Xu (the drummer of the Gar).

• Simen Wangberg

"Carsick Cars actually had their first show with the new line-up a couple weeks ago at a secret show at What Bar."

Oh what?? Well, I guess that's why it was a "secret" show. FML. Did you go? How was it?

• Dan
    Dan wrote:

Haha, no, i didn't go......some other friends were having a different event that night.

One of my friends did go and reported back that it was pretty fun....What can fit about 50 people tops when the walls are in a flexible mood, so it was packed and sounded like a pretty cool show/environment to be in

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

@Mike

Star Live is a professional and big live house, many international bands have performed there. The PAs are not too good and the set up may vary each time depending how much the gig organizers invest in stage gears. Since the Midi team knows how to do gigs, i guess today wont be too bad.

BTW, i think Star Live is going to close down after Chinese New Year, so this might be the last chance to check it out. Dont know if any other serious live house company will take it over afterwards.

http://wiki.rockinchina.com/w/Star_Live

It's on the 3rd floor of Tango by Lhama Temple. They have a bar with regular drinks inside the venue and a small upstairs area for VIPs.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

@ Mike

Shenggy is Chinese, but she moved to London some time ago. She was in that all girl bang Hang on the Box who were supposed to tour with Sonic Youth in the late 90s/early 00s but got their visas denied because they "weren't an accurate representation of Chinese culture"

• Yang
    Yang wrote:
    Is D22 a bar near wudaokou? How to find it? Near the subway?
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

@Yang

there are so much info available about D22 online, just google for it. both rockinchina.com and beijinggigguide.com provide the exact address and location of D22, all you need is to go check for yourself.

• Yang
    Yang wrote:
    Thank you. I've been there last night. The bar is ok, except that it's not warm there...about the bands, I have to say they are not as good as expected. Miss the Chao Yang Park music festival so much!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.